Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Repeated my monday run last night as it was the first one I'd used Strava for and was pleased to go from 2.6 to 2.8miles for the total duration of the exercise (including walking intervals, warm-up/down). Whilst it was still a struggle at the end I had finally settled on a pace that felt much more comfortable for the opening segment. I am hoping this will give me a base to further extend the time and distance I can run.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Roasting hot out there yesterday, not really sure why I decided to go out in 27 degree heat but now getting a few miles on the clock each week and feel good for it. Annoyingly I will at some point, for whatever reason, have a couple of weeks off and we start all over again.

Went out late yesterday morning. Died on my arse. Went to the lovely cool air conditioned gym this morning.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Having put my sensible head on – and been 'encouraged' by one of the trainers at bootcamp – I've knocked running on the head for a couple of weeks*, replacing it with... YOGA :lol:

My flexibility is awful and he reckons that if I carry on, I'll 'break'. I know it makes sense –*and it's a pretty good time to do it because I've got Lunar-Tic marathon to taper for – but it's a bit weird not getting up and running. So, I've committed to doing a workout every day, to see if I can stretch my pitiful range of movement. Apparently it will help all sorts of aspects of my running, but I'm yet to be completely convinced. There seem to be loads of 'yoga for runners' videos on YouTube, which is what I've been doing, but if anyone can recommend anything specific, I'm open to suggestions.

I don't KNOW if it will make any difference, or WHAT difference it might make, but I'm giving it a shot and seeing how I get on. Some of the videos seem a bit happy-clappy, but I guess that is part of the whole thing. I'll report back with my progress in due course...

*Apart from Beat The Tide and parkrun, where I'll probably be tail-running/taking it VERY easy.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Having put my sensible head on – and been 'encouraged' by one of the trainers at bootcamp – I've knocked running on the head for a couple of weeks*, replacing it with... YOGA :lol:

My flexibility is awful and he reckons that if I carry on, I'll 'break'. I know it makes sense –*and it's a pretty good time to do it because I've got Lunar-Tic marathon to taper for – but it's a bit weird not getting up and running. So, I've committed to doing a workout every day, to see if I can stretch my pitiful range of movement. Apparently it will help all sorts of aspects of my running, but I'm yet to be completely convinced. There seem to be loads of 'yoga for runners' videos on YouTube, which is what I've been doing, but if anyone can recommend anything specific, I'm open to suggestions.

I don't KNOW if it will make any difference, or WHAT difference it might make, but I'm giving it a shot and seeing how I get on. Some of the videos seem a bit happy-clappy, but I guess that is part of the whole thing. I'll report back with my progress in due course...

*Apart from Beat The Tide and parkrun, where I'll probably be tail-running/taking it VERY easy.

Can we now develop a 'flexibility' league table for NSC runners? I think at 62 and with 35 years pounding (mostly) pavements I'd be pretty near the relegation zone. Looking forward to hearing of the positive impact of the yoga.
On the subject of league tables I'm predicting some movement on behalf of [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] as he celebrates his 100th parkrun with surely an SB (no pressure there then). Had hoped to be at Hove Park to heckle and jeer but domestic schedule dictates that I can only squeeze in the Worthing one .................Good luck to all parkrunners tomorrow and let's see some movement in that league!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

You have been hammering it lately. Some down time has to beneficial. I do a number of stretches after running that cover every area of injury over the last 20 years. Swimming every day at the moment in the beautiful grey or blue sea also helps. The best thing you could do is join a class for at least a couple of sessions. A wrong stretch can do a lot of damage and if you tell the teacher to keep an eye on you they will make sure you're lined up. Om.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Can we now develop a 'flexibility' league table for NSC runners? I think at 62 and with 35 years pounding (mostly) pavements I'd be pretty near the relegation zone. Looking forward to hearing of the positive impact of the yoga.
On the subject of league tables I'm predicting some movement on behalf of [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] as he celebrates his 100th parkrun with surely an SB (no pressure there then). Had hoped to be at Hove Park to heckle and jeer but domestic schedule dictates that I can only squeeze in the Worthing one .................Good luck to all parkrunners tomorrow and let's see some movement in that league!

All Blacks v The Lions by any chance? :lolol:

No heroics from me tomorrow. Have had a week of not recovering. Clair Park took a lot out of me, had a hard cycle on Monday and a 10 mile walk around Firle Beacon on Tuesday. I feel drained and so will have to run accordingly. The Phoenix has to be done without walking after all. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] is the man with a big day. I'm only at 66.66666666666666666% recurring in total Parkruns. So easy run for me with a quick exit as Mrs K needs help running a plant stall at Wishfest raising money for Refugee Camps.

On an achilles front Jesus has discharged me £200 lighter. Says to drop of the pace after Phoenix (probably be during!) and run longer and slower but sparingly. So I'm relegation fodder for a few more months. He's happy with progress.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
All Blacks v The Lions by any chance? :lolol:

No heroics from me tomorrow. Have had a week of not recovering. Clair Park took a lot out of me, had a hard cycle on Monday and a 10 mile walk around Firle Beacon on Tuesday. I feel drained and so will have to run accordingly. The Phoenix has to be done without walking after all. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] is the man with a big day. I'm only at 66.66666666666666666% recurring in total Parkruns. So easy run for me with a quick exit as Mrs K needs help running a plant stall at Wishfest raising money for Refugee Camps.

On an achilles front Jesus has discharged me £200 lighter. Says to drop of the pace after Phoenix (probably be during!) and run longer and slower but sparingly. So I'm relegation fodder for a few more months. He's happy with progress.

Yes guilty as charged on the Lions game! (I've got a mate who is mad keen............). Sounds like you might struggle a bit tomorrow. But the history of sport is littered with stories of people overcoming adversity. However you are right when you look at the bigger picture and the longer term. Since I've hit 60 I've been a bit neurotic about taking breaks/resting because I tend to think that I won't recover my form - so basically I've been training to run a PB every week for the last 2 years or so! This is very dim and self-fulfilling - overtraining (or over-competing) because you fear no longer competing, but in so doing you run the risk of................(you get the picture). So - you've got plenty of 'competing time' in front of you and with the help of Jesus (!) will sooner or later be clocking up decent times again.
Anyway good luck for your 100th - and for the Phoenix when I am away working in beautiful (!) Colchester.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
You have been hammering it lately. Some down time has to beneficial. I do a number of stretches after running that cover every area of injury over the last 20 years. Swimming every day at the moment in the beautiful grey or blue sea also helps. The best thing you could do is join a class for at least a couple of sessions. A wrong stretch can do a lot of damage and if you tell the teacher to keep an eye on you they will make sure you're lined up. Om.

I am a big fan of yoga and would repeat the suggestion of joining a class to get accurate guidance on your posture, at least initially.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've never considered yoga myself, but I do advocate a regular routine of static stretching (usually at the end of the day) in order to remain supple.

It's my turn to Parkrun this weekend, but I shan't be pushing too hard as I have the second Yateley 10k race on Wednesday, so [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] (unassailable) AG lead is safe for the now!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
If anyone knows a good chiropractor then please let me know. I'd probably rate myself as doubtful for The Phoenix based on the pain I'm in today.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've never considered yoga myself, but I do advocate a regular routine of static stretching (usually at the end of the day) in order to remain supple.

It's my turn to Parkrun this weekend, but I shan't be pushing too hard as I have the second Yateley 10k race on Wednesday, so [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] (unassailable) AG lead is safe for the now!

Sub 17 and you can go top. Something to aim at......Good luck at Yateley. You should be 10 minutes quicker than my Phoenix effort.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
So Parkrun news.....Lancing is next up...a couple of people I know are setting it up and targeting a late summer start. They are looking for people who would interested in joining the core team, be run directors and regular volunteers.

If you are interested let me know and I'll put you in touch

Route will be from Perch cafe on Beach Green with an out and back to Whitewater

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So Parkrun news.....Lancing is next up...a couple of people I know are setting it up and targeting a late summer start. They are looking for people who would interested in joining the core team, be run directors and regular volunteers.

If you are interested let me know and I'll put you in touch

Route will be from Perch cafe on Beach Green with an out and back to Whitewater

I saw something about that, but I have my reservations, so I stayed quiet.

I'm unsure if I'll make it to the 100/150th celebrations for you and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], but good luck and have a good one if I do miss out...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If anyone knows a good chiropractor then please let me know. I'd probably rate myself as doubtful for The Phoenix based on the pain I'm in today.

Sorry to hear that man, I was looking forward to a straight foot race!

I'm off to Wellingborough tonight, sacking off the football tournament tomorrow and no parkrun either. Going to rest for Phoenix, I'm sorry to miss out on the special day for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] - 100 and 150 respectively is an excellent pair of achievements. :bowdown:

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

I'm off to Wellingborough tonight, sacking off the football tournament tomorrow and no parkrun either. Going to rest for Phoenix, I'm sorry to miss out on the special day for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] - 100 and 150 respectively is an excellent pair of achievements. :bowdown:

Good luck to all running Phoenix and to the "pair of achievements" clocking up milestones tomorrow.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Now the live TV fixtures are out I decided it was time to book up some more races. Booked the Arundel 10k on the 27th August and the Barnes Green HM on the 24th September. I now just need to find a run in November then I will have done at least one official run in each month for 2017.

Off to see U2 at Twickenham on Saturday and Sunday but squeezing in the Westminster (or British not sure whats its official title is anymore!) 10k on Sunday morning as staying up in London after Saturdays gig! Doing that for fun but looking forward to Wednesday and the Phoenix 10k when I hope to try and push for a PB!

Good luck to those doing 100/150th park runs, I will stick with my 1 for now!!!!!!!!!

Happy running weekend one and all.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Now the live TV fixtures are out I decided it was time to book up some more races. Booked the Arundel 10k on the 27th August and the Barnes Green HM on the 24th September. I now just need to find a run in November then I will have done at least one official run in each month for 2017.

Off to see U2 at Twickenham on Saturday and Sunday but squeezing in the Westminster (or British not sure whats its official title is anymore!) 10k on Sunday morning as staying up in London after Saturdays gig! Doing that for fun but looking forward to Wednesday and the Phoenix 10k when I hope to try and push for a PB!

Good luck to those doing 100/150th park runs, I will stick with my 1 for now!!!!!!!!!

Happy running weekend one and all.

Noticed today a new 10 mile run on 5/11 in Bognor Regis plus you have the Brooks 10k run two weeks later.

If you fancy something more hardcore you've got the Preston Park track marathon which is laps of a 600 metre track.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I'll be disappointed if I miss out Wednesday. I've got a chiropractor appointment at midday tomorrow so I'll know more then.

Would have been pretty close if we were both running and would have hopefully spurred us both on to PB's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here