Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Having read the thread there are clearly longstanding supporter families who will be adversely affected and this will have been taken into account and presumably deemed unimportant. Nevertheless I can understand the club's logic although personally I will not be producing ID to football officials at away games.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fvck 'em.

Just save yourself the massive amount of expense and calls on your strictly limited leisure time and go spend your money in local pubs or offies and watch a dodgy stream instead.

The Albion take their support for granted at their peril. Very very few supporters pass on their tickets, whether home or away, for shabby reasons. IMHO, like.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
see alot of people saying this is over the top, sledgehammer etc. lets suppose for a minute there is a problem (they arent doing this for fun)... how do you suggest the problem is dealt with? or should the club just ignore it and let people abuse and work around the system?

not necessarily in favour, just i dont see any creative alternatives.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
see alot of people saying this is over the top, sledgehammer etc. lets suppose for a minute there is a problem (they arent doing this for fun)... how do you suggest the problem is dealt with? or should the club just ignore it and let people abuse and work around the system?

not necessarily in favour, just i dont see any creative alternatives.

What problem do you suspect there is?

I think any fan requested to produce ID, refuses to do so. What are they going to do refuse a few thousand fans entry at an away game?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What problem do you suspect there is?

I think any fan requested to produce ID, refuses to do so. What are they going to do refuse a few thousand fans entry at an away game?

Pick on a few easy targets... pour encourager les autres?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
lets suppose for a minute there is a problem (they arent doing this for fun)... how do you suggest the problem is dealt with? or should the club just ignore it and let people abuse and work around the system?

How about saying they think there's an issue and why it's important, showing some evidence of it and the scale of it, then consulting with fans over what, if anything to do about it?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Not sure what the issue is here. I would think a more gradual phasing in of loyalty points needed for crunch games would separate the wheat from the chaff. Start with 100% away attendance and work backwards. I can't see too many regular away supporters giving their ticket opportunity up and would stop the fair weather day trippers that seemingly hoovered up the Forest tickets.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not being a STH or have many points I can only get to a few away games now. For 30 odd years at times going to watch the Albion has helped out many a time when life has been hard. I used to take myself to an away game to cheer myself up and forget for a day about everyday life. I don't really care what league we are in I don't go for the glory I go because it's been part of my life for years. I understand everyone wants to watch a winning side but please don't forget the fans who go because they love their club whatever league we are in and just for a day it can be a life saver. Modern football is for the wealthy now and it's a shame. It was the one place on a Saturday where no one cared who I was or what I did, it had no restrictions a place to be free.

Last edited:

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
the nutter count at Forest did seem quite high

totally different type of fan to those at Burton away earlier in season last year

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
How many points do 1901ers start with compared to common or garden season ticket holders?

I don't think home tickets of any kind should give priority for away games. Look at previous away attendance and go back as long as you need to.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
They will always give priority to those putting money into the club through ticket sales. Only home ticket sales do so. Rightly or wrongly nothing will change that

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Assuming you think the points system is fair, it makes sense to ensure it's enforced.

D

Deleted member 2719

I do rate Paul Barber as a CEO and see a lot of good he has done for the club, but can't help feel sometimes he does go OTT against problems that don't really exist.

I never thought I'd see the day that Brighton bring in measures similar to follow England away.....

He is very much judge and jury, that's no good for any company.

Just one of these my way or the highway rules.

He added: "It is only acceptable to pass on a season ticket if someone is a 1901 Club member or purchased a season-ticket seat licence. It is not possible for those with a general admission season ticket to reallocate their season ticket to a family member or friend. We do appreciate that in some circumstances this may be following a bereavement or an older child moving to college or university, but it still isn't possible.

A two tier Albion, who would have thought it 10 years ago. :nono:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

He added: "It is only acceptable to pass on a season ticket if someone is a 1901 Club member or purchased a season-ticket seat licence. It is not possible for those with a general admission season ticket to reallocate their season ticket to a family member or friend. We do appreciate that in some circumstances this may be following a bereavement or an older child moving to college or university, but it still isn't possible.

Meanwhile, we'll all still keep passing tickets on to trusted friends. Same as it ever was.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

More empty seats when a Saturday match is moved to an evening.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I understand the problem and why they want to fix it.

But to threaten to employ staff at away games to check identify ? Is Trump in charge of ticket sales ?

It's embarrassing. I'd rather miss the game to make a point.

The balance between trying to to fix a problem and the public response seems to have been lost.

If I didn't know the date I'd assume this was an April Fool.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't think home tickets of any kind should give priority for away games. Look at previous away attendance and go back as long as you need to.

I don't agree with what PB is proposing on the basis that the problem isn't a major issue but I disagree with your comment. STH and home tickets is money into the club. Those that just go to away games aren't putting money into their club so why should they get priority over home supporters.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
PB needs to be VERY careful who he alienates on the way up. Cos the club will sure as hell need them on the way down. The JCLs and the Twickers Crew will disappear just as suddenly as they appeared, at the first sign of a downturn in the club's fortunes. Fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here