Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stand or Fall

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Sorry if the original point of the post wasn't clear. In both Kohima and SBTS, those hearing the words are being asked to go back and tell people that the soldiers gave their all for the cause. Some wrongly imagine that the line in SBTS should be "And when you go FROM Sussex", but the message is clearly addressed to those that may go back TO Sussex.

Of course, many Royal Sussex Regiment soldiers never made that final journey home. And that's why Stand or Fall is such a magnificent rallying cry.
(Against which, concern about going up or winning cups does look somewhat insignificant.)

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
We plough and sow

And reap and mow

And............................. are we. (Clue....<--)

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
It was always ' And we're going up AND we'll win the cup. Back in the day anyway. For the record I sing the stand or fall version.

I think if it is a league game we should sing win the League and if it's a cup match it should be we'll win the Cup! Or should it be we are going to stay up:facepalm:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Bloody JCL's ruining it... all you spotty oiks need to leave it to the real fans to sing! You carry on singing your eurotrash songs but leave the real songs to the real fans!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Bloody JCL's ruining it... all you spotty oiks need to leave it to the real fans to sing! You carry on singing your eurotrash songs but leave the real songs to the real fans!

By singing which version?

i've never heard us sing the proper words to SBTS before and with so many versions of the club version of the song (to win the cup / and win the cup, etc..) how do we chose which one to sing?

Most fans at the ground will sing a variation on the "...win the cup" version as this is what has been around for years (and wondered how the club would be able to display the words to this on the large screens in the ground as how do they pick which is right?) and very few will sing "tell the all that we stand or fall" and i'd prefer to stick with the football variation we all know rather than turn it into something we have never sung before (original version) as the football version is more relevant to us as a football club

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
[MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION]: You're right. The title of Ward-Higgs' composition - and possibly its original inspiration - does indeed come from Kipling's poem. The two men were exact contemporaries, and Ward-Higgs set some of Kipling's barrack-room ballads to music. But the words and music for SBTS are entirely Ward-Higgs' own work.

Very decent blog post, by the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here