Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Three at the back

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would agree don't change a winning formula BUT having a plan B or looking at ways of improving plan A are not stupid its called progress.

Personal view is that we don't a get our wingers far enough forward and we don't get decent 20-40 yard passes from either Kayal or Stephens nor proper when he was playing. See Dunk as potentially fulfilling this role but seems to have regressed, same with him coming forward with the ball. So anyway we can improve on this would be good.

I know people will say Gross is the answer but in his adopted no 10 role he is generally further forward than the wingers.

Its an opinion based on what i see from where i sit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8647448 said:
If we are playing Dunk Duffy Balogun in the starting line up what happens if there is a suspension or an injury?

Switching to 3 at the back doesn't mean you can only ever play 3 at the back from then on. Switch to 4 at the back. Or if three at the back proves to work better and we want to stick with it, use one of the full backs on the relevant side of the back 3. Or do whatever we'd do if we play the system we do now and suffer two injuries or suspensions.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Switching to 3 at the back doesn't mean you can only ever play 3 at the back from then on. Switch to 4 at the back. Or if three at the back proves to work better and we want to stick with it, use one of the full backs on the relevant side of the back 3. Or do whatever we'd do if we play the system we do now and suffer two injuries or suspensions.

Can't see us risking it until at least January when we get Dan Burn back or bring on another experienced centre back in January. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see a bit of 3-5-2 action, just that I can't see Hughton taking the risk at the moment.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I agree with the general sentiment that it would be foolish to change our back 4 after the 3 wins and clean sheets we’ve had. On the flip side I have always been an advocate of playing 3 CB’s in our away games and have a 3rd central midfielder as this would give us a stronger spine and make us harder to break down and be more competitive in midfield against the better sides, plus we could even afford to play 2 up top an be more of an attacking threat away from home. Our wingers tend to be less influential and often anonymous in away games.

I think one of the reasons we came under so much pressure yesterday was that we struggled to cope with Wolves’ formation who did play 3 at the back, used their wing backs well, and having an extra player in central midfield allowed them to boss the middle of the park. We shouldn’t dismiss using that formation when the situation suits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like to see us try that again..... We've a good footballer sitting on the bench
A fella from Haywards Heath will be along soon, and will agree with you, thereby proving just how completely wrong you are..

Christ it's only my opinion..... Chill out

oh perhaps he's already here. :wave:

D

Deleted member 2719

3 games where we were under the kosh for most of the 90 minutes, where we struggle to take control of the game, or impose ourselves on it. A bit of skill from for our opponents, a bit of bad luck for us, and this type of play won't win us much. Maybe something different could lead to us controlling the game more, keeping a clean sheet, scoring more goals.

Yeah, 3 wins, 3 clean sheets. Results are good, but lets not assume we've nailed this football lark. Easy street from now on. Let's just keep on keeping on. We should always be open to other ideas, potential improvement, maybe a bit more entertainment, maybe a bit more comfort, maybe a few more points in games that we wouldn't get them in playing the way we do...

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

3 at the back would be great to see, but I think Chris has dreams of 10 at the back.

I agree, luck and some great defending has been on our side, but we are never going to keep getting away with these 1 nil's.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
3 at the back is
Hyypia suicide tactics and the reason why Wolves lost.

they lost because they didn't get one in the net despite numerous chances and matty and d&d playying out of their skins , thought wolves played some great football and like the previous 2 opponents will be wondering how the feck they lost

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think playing 3 centrally at the back would end up as a 5 defensively. I do not see a back 3 suiting Duffy (whose strength is not on the ground when defenders run at him) and we do not currently have the full backs to play it. I see more the issue as having a no 10 playing well. That is a really key role in the way we play.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
12 months ago it was all the rage but now none of the top sides are still using it, everyone has reverted back to a back 4. Ball retention is key and we are struggling to do that without Gross and Propper

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here