Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Anyone else tackling the Worthing? If not windy I think it would be a PB target for many....but most definitely not me, as my PB (1:31) was some c.26 years ago!

Yeah, I'm in on that. Finding it hard to get enough training in as I've just started a new job in London and commuting, but hopefully be up to speed by the day of the race.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
What is running etiquette in terms of PB's and use of treadmills?

It's 13 below freezing where I am at present, and being an idiot, I only brought shorts and no long tights for running, so not venturing outside today. Hopped on the treadmill for at a pace faster than a fat bloke like me is used to, and managed to not fall off for 5k. In doing so I knocked 45 seconds off my PB, but does that count, or should you only use outdoor times with the vagaries of weather etc.

I only count it as a PB if it is in a race on a course that hes been measured.

Bright Un

Dec 11, 2015
Some good info in here. Embarked on first run of 2016 yesterday (first run in around 6 months to be honest, I'm by no means a regular runner) and managed a couple of miles which I was quite pleased with.

Something I noticed was I was getting uncontrollable itching all over my thighs while I was running. Never experienced it before but hope it's maybe just the legs being shocked back in to action.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Getting back into good eating and exercise as of today, after a month of over-indulging.
I've put on between 5-7 lbs, so that'll take a good month or so to shave back off if strict.

Also, for all you smart-watch/fitness band lovers, FitBit are releasing a new watch which looks pretty decent.

FitBit Blaze

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's mad how quickly you can lose (and gain) jogging fitness. Back in September I did the Great North Run (half marathon) - and whilst knees ached by the end, I jogged the vast majority of the 13.1 miles quite comfortably.

1st Jan, along with all the other New Year Resolution idiots I was on the seafront jogging after 2/3 months of very little exercise and plenty of bad eating. I could barely muster 3 miles, I had absolutely nothing in the tank.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's mad how quickly you can lose (and gain) jogging fitness. Back in September I did the Great North Run (half marathon) - and whilst knees ached by the end, I jogged the vast majority of the 13.1 miles quite comfortably.

1st Jan, along with all the other New Year Resolution idiots I was on the seafront jogging after 2/3 months of very little exercise and plenty of bad eating. I could barely muster 3 miles, I had absolutely nothing in the tank.

That's what I discovered when I did my first run for 2 months just before Christmas. I've not been out since - hopeful of getting out today at some point, but I know I've lost both distance and 'speed' (I'm not fast at all, it's a relative term!) from where I was.

I know I've also piled back on a fair bit of the weight I lost from Jan - Oct last year so I feel like I'm back to square one again. Last year I had rapidly improving distance and time to keep me motivated. Now it feels like I need to try and forget what I did then as those distances and times are well out of reach now. Strava will be an inconvenient reminder, however.

I'll order my Garmin Forerunner 235 today so I have a new toy to help keep me interested.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It is possible to lose a bit of pace whilst still running. I too put on between 5 and 7lb over Christmas, and am noticeably slower than at the end of November even though I kept going out regularly during December!

Time to head out again...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
It is possible to lose a bit of pace whilst still running. I too put on between 5 and 7lb over Christmas, and am noticeably slower than at the end of November even though I kept going out regularly during December!

Time to head out again...

Half a stone would definitely slow you down, regardless whether you're still running!
A benefit though is that you've likely strengthened a few muscles pulling the extra weight which will be noticeable once you're back to your November weight.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Half a stone would definitely slow you down, regardless whether you're still running!
A benefit though is that you've likely strengthened a few muscles pulling the extra weight which will be noticeable once you're back to your November weight.

Well, I just hauled my 11 stone 11 pound bottom around 8.6 miles in just about one hour dead (10 easy, 40 tempo, 10 cruise home with a bit of a kick at the end), so I haven't lost much - but it does work out as a few seconds per mile compared to my previous weight.

:wink:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yeah, I'm in on that. Finding it hard to get enough training in as I've just started a new job in London and commuting, but hopefully be up to speed by the day of the race.

Good to hear that you are having a crack at this. I too did the long commute (4 hours per day) a few years back and I well remember the 'challenge' - I simply did no running during the week as I was too knackered. So you have my sympathy. (One of the guys that I worked with ran in from Waterloo after his commute for about 5 miles before work every day; put me to shame but I just couldn't face it.)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Nice to get out this evening after work, but time constraints meant I could only squeeze in 6.75 miles rather than the 10 I had originally planned. Started pretty slowly after putting on 5lbs over Xmas but soon got into my stride and finished in 46:06 averaging 6:50 per mile.

A long run planned now for Friday night or Saturday morning, ideally up to half marathon distance.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Anyone else tackling the Worthing? If not windy I think it would be a PB target for many....but most definitely not me, as my PB (1:31) was some c.26 years ago!

Ive been thinking of doing this as a training run, but the price is putting me of a bit.. esp as its on streets that i run on anyways. I hope itll take of and be regular fixture as i think the organisers know there stuff. Should be good race.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've heard a 'rule of thumb' thing of about 5 seconds per pound per mile........so a 5lb weight gain would add maybe 1 min 15 s to your 5k time. There is a calculator here if you want to check it out.....seems to be more or less in line with those numbers

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/diet/weighteffect

Sub 20 5k is on then. Obviously, if any of us were to be at 100% peak fitness weight, any weight loss would be detrimental. No problem for NSC runners then. I would not wish to lose more than 7 lbs and would not wish to stay at that skeletal weight for more than a month max.

Like to point out then when I used the calculator it was nearer two and a half seconds a pound a mile. 30 seconds quicker 5k for 4lbs loss and 37.5 secs for 5k with 5lb loss.
Assuming 5k is 3 miles and not 3.1.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've heard a 'rule of thumb' thing of about 5 seconds per pound per mile........so a 5lb weight gain would add maybe 1 min 15 s to your 5k time. There is a calculator here if you want to check it out.....seems to be more or less in line with those numbers

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/diet/weighteffect

There might be something in that. Without working out the numbers, my post-Christmas and New Year park run was just over 23 mins, whereas the beginning of December it was 21.43. I was just over 14 stone back then, but the excess of the festive period meant the scales were nudging 15 on park run day.

Anyway, to the present day and it was absolutely FILTHY out there this morning. Set aside an hour and wanted to see how I would get on. The eight mile distance still eludes me, but I got pretty close with 7.77. The wind and hail half way through, and a hill towards the end didn't help, but I'd resigned myself to not making it by then. I'll save that challenge for another day.

Lovely out there now though – almost perfect running weather...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1006301162

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
On a different note, did anyone see Trust Me I'm a Doctor last night? They certainly pack a lot into it including:
1. Protein shakes don't work in terms of muscle gain
2. Energy drinks are overpriced (no surprise there)
3. Men and women appear to have different 'fat-burning' reactions - in short, men will burn fat on an empty stomach, women will burn fat after after eating
4.Significant gains in strength can be gained from modest 'home based' activities
5. There is significant debate among experts on the harm that body fat can do to health (one school of thought being that fat around the hips, bum and thighs is actually OK and can counter the effect fat around the waist)

Numbers 1,3 and 4 above were based on (limited) research-based insights conducted for the programme.

Interesting stuff, if nothing directly related to running.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
All makes sense - you hardly use your soleus when walking, but you do when running (I did mine a few years back at Cutty Sark but still completed London by walking it). What you're describing sounds just like a soleus tear so don't make it any worse by trying to run ! Jesus might save you (some recovery time) but it's a bugger for physios to get at because it's hidden under the gastroc and difficult to manipulate. Rest, ice and elevate for a few days, let JC have a go at it and start all the usual stretches (depending on his diagnosis and advice).

[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is the new saviour! Rejoice. Saw Jesus today and you are spot on. Soleus. 14 days recovery but already on day 8. Have an exercise to do in a few days, says it will be sore tomorrow. as Dr. Dazzer says it is hard to get to and there is a slight chance there is more damage behind the calf but have to wait a week to find out. Fingers crossed. Thanks Dazzer I would have tried to run through it. Good old NSC runners helping out.
Will be getting the Cannondale road bike out the loft to get some miles in to lose a couple of lbs and not increase on todays lifetime weight Pb.
Now to email Parkrun to volunteer for the next 2 runs.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So today is my "first" day of training for the Brighton half, my first ever run of any type.

I'm sure everyone will say this is idiotic for someone who doesn't run but I'm aiming for 7.5miles tonight :lolol: :lolol:

Parking at the marina and running to the King Alfred and back. All my new gear has turned up so im in full-kit wanker mode.

Weirdly, the idea of going for a big run excites me. The idea of doing a small run doesn't inspire.

I'm sure i'll have to stop (a lot) but quite keen to see how far I get before doing so. I'll let you know how it went so you can all laugh at my naivity!!!!

If you hear of a 29 year old found by the Brighton eye, then it's been nice knowing you all.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is the new saviour! Rejoice. Saw Jesus today and you are spot on. Soleus. 14 days recovery but already on day 8. Have an exercise to do in a few days, says it will be sore tomorrow. as Dr. Dazzer says it is hard to get to and there is a slight chance there is more damage behind the calf but have to wait a week to find out. Fingers crossed. Thanks Dazzer I would have tried to run through it. Good old NSC runners helping out.
Will be getting the Cannondale road bike out the loft to get some miles in to lose a couple of lbs and not increase on todays lifetime weight Pb.
Now to email Parkrun to volunteer for the next 2 runs.

LOL. Go in peace my child :angel:

As always correct diagnosis is the key, so glad Jesus has done that.......was only able to help because I too have royally f*cked my soleus by trying to come back too early........

Might be at Hove Park on Saturday. Need a post-Christmas, post injury benchmark time (hoping for 21-22 mins depending on the weather and Friday night wine consumption) so if you're volunteering there feel free to shout abuse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here