Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Do WE Celebrate St.Patrick's Day?

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Is it OK to leave a St Patrick's Day celebration early if you have a train to catch? Or is that bad form and one should stay to the very end to clap the fiddlers and heedrum hodrum musicians off stage?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Looks like I'm alone in enjoying the festively themed lime jelly shots later tonight.
We've got a big Paddies party going on tonight, not one Irish person here though. :moo:

I learned to celebrate St Patrick's Day when I was at a Catholic primary school in Newport (St Joseph's), being taught by Irish nuns.

March was a brilliant month, since we were given the day off for religious holidays.

1 March ... St David's Day
17 March ... St Patrick's Day
19 March ... St Joseph's Day.

Chuck in Ash Wednesday and it's hard to see how we learned anything.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I learned to celebrate St Patrick's Day when I was at a Catholic primary school in Newport (St Joseph's), being taught by Irish nuns.

March was a brilliant month, since we were given the day off for religious holidays.

1 March ... St David's Day
17 March ... St Patrick's Day
19 March ... St Joseph's Day.

Chuck in Ash Wednesday and it's hard to see how we learned anything.

Irish Catholic nuns.

Lovely bunch.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
No problem at all with it, people just being happy and having a good time.
My grandpappy was from Clonmany in Donegal, but even if he wasn't I'd still raise a glass.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Because it's a bit of fun and an excuse to enjoy yourself, have a drink or 3 with some mates (or not) and have a laugh.

Oh, we're miserable frigging English and we don't do fun.

Arh feck it, my old man was Irish so I don't give a rats. Drink, laugh, Irish Stew and fun tonight it was....

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
This thread ticked all the annual bingo boxes on the very first page.

What's up next in the calendar, some kind of Why aren't we allowed to celebrate St George's day one?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
8c68Kekzi.png

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
This thread ticked all the annual bingo boxes on the very first page.

What's up next in the calendar, some kind of Why aren't we allowed to celebrate St George's day one?

What is it with the "not being allowed to celebrate St George's Day" stuff. Around here there is positive encouragement to do so.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What is it with the "not being allowed to celebrate St George's Day" stuff. Around here there is positive encouragement to do so.

You shouldn't need a day to celebrate your heritage, you should be able to be proud of it everyday and that goes for every race, creed and country.... When it goes wrong is when people use it as an excuse to be ignorant and jingoistic. Just like you don't need a church or mosque or perceived higher authority to tell you how to behave and what's right or wrong...

Time we all moved on with respect.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
You shouldn't need a day to celebrate your heritage, you should be able to be proud of it everyday and that goes for every race, creed and country.... When it goes wrong is when people use it as an excuse to be ignorant and jingoistic. Just like you don't need a church or mosque or perceived higher authority to tell you how to behave and what's right or wrong...

Time we all moved on with respect.

With respect, I totally agree! I think the vast majority of reasonable people have no problem with other people celebrating what they want to celebrate. Any idea of offending people of other nationalities or religions by celebrating your own thing is for the most part nonsense and the product of over-sensitive bureaucracy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here