Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bizarrely flat evening

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We were poor. The game was poor. Delighted to get a point as we could have easily lost that and no one would have complained.

theboybilly

Complaining about seeing empty seats from the pub. Righto.

Anyway, we said the same.....was odd right from the start. Even Reynolds messed up the team announcement pre kick off, completely out of synch with the big screens. GOSBTS wasn't belted out like usual either.

From my seat in WSL I could see a couple of 'blocks of around 10 seats that were empty in the North Stand but they must have been people coming by coach and stuck in traffic or something like that as those blocks filled after about 15 minutes. Other than that I didn't notice loads of empty seats...odd one here and there yes but not swathes of empty seats. You need to find a pub with a decent telly PPF

theboybilly

Couldn't help feeling that that was an example of what we would face if we went up.

Villa were physically stronger than us and it showed. We had to scrap but tired. That would be a relegation battle in the Premier League. If we go up we will be outclassed a lot unless we invest well. But we will be outmuscled as well. Only Dunk, Duffy and Murray competed physically with Villa.

AND Sidwell...my MotM. He broke up so much of Villa's good play

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Dunno if flat is quite the right word. Villa were INSANELY dominant in terms of winning possession. Not seen us bullied like that at the Amex in years. Felt like a preview of how it would be in the Prem against someone like, say, West Brom.

el punal

Well I'm glad that one's out of the way. I don't know why but had a feeling of trepidation about this game. Whether it was the sour taste in the mouth regarding the Calderwood situation, or the return from an international break, or being a Friday night fixture and all the transport chaos or all three, but there was a strange atmosphere tonight. For me, the Albion never really got going and it showed as Villa took the initiative for most parts of the match.

I now console myself with the fact that that was definitely one point gained for us and two points dropped by Villa.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dunno if flat is quite the right word. Villa were INSANELY dominant in terms of winning possession. Not seen us bullied like that at the Amex in years. Felt like a preview of how it would be in the Prem against someone like, say, West Brom.

All that and we still didn't lose [emoji106]

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Couldn't help feeling that that was an example of what we would face if we went up.

Villa were physically stronger than us and it showed. We had to scrap but tired. That would be a relegation battle in the Premier League. If we go up we will be outclassed a lot unless we invest well. But we will be outmuscled as well. Only Dunk, Duffy and Murray competed physically with Villa.

And Bruno

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Terrible performance Villa were shit and we deserved to lose. Didn't get going at all no composure passing or build up just panic and run. Very poor but a point after that shit is good I suppose.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What a strange night at the Amex.

So flat on the pitch and also off it.

It started with the teams coming out to a half full stadium and never really got going at all.

Roll on Fulham and a nice leisurely Saturday 3pm fixture.

It's the Villa factor. It has happened before when we played Villa at home. Always.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
my point being some people on here were wetting themselves over an Amex sell out ,it was there for all to see lots of empty seats
regards
DR

Not that you'd know, sat on your arse on a barstool somewhere, but a smash on the A23 and the usual SASTA omnishambles contributed to many difficulties for fans who GO TO THE GAMES.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
We must stop this away attendance announcements. It gave their supporters a massive lift and could have cost us the game.

Absolutely endorse this - the style of the announcer also doesn't help - like he's encouraging us to cheer the (Villa in this case) away fans - and they respond by making a hell of a noise. When there's 3000 away fans just don't do it that way. Put it on the screen if you must announce the made up pretendence - but don't give the opposition a boost. If there's 26 away fans from Accrington in a 3rd round FA Cup replay on a wet Tuesday night I'll stand up and applaud too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What a strange night at the Amex.

So flat on the pitch and also off it.

It started with the teams coming out to a half full stadium and never really got going at all.

Roll on Fulham and a nice leisurely Saturday 3pm fixture.
If home games on a Saturday kicking off at a nice leisurely 3pm is what's required to get us all going, we'd better beat Fulham.
As we'll be in a relegation battle by the time the next one comes around.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I thought a combination of transport problems and the minute's silence probably took the edge off to begin with. Thjnk crowd and team a bit 'rusty' - would have been much livelier straight off the back of 2 great results. As for the game, thought we were playing ok until Villa's cheap goal. After that their pressing high up the pitch made it impossible for the team to find a rhythm. Think we hoped they'd run out of steam and had them chasing around the defenders for that reason - but with players of the standard of Ayew and Grealish to come off the bench, just proved too tough. That's where the big spenders have a real advantage. Bruce got it spot on and Villa will surely be top 6 now... maybe even top 2, hopefully not... so a good point overall.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Also, agree on the attendance announcements. Against a club the size of Villa, getting over-excited about a 30,000 crowd is just the cue for a mass piss-take and boosts their noise levels. It's announced as if we're amazed that we're not playing in front of 8000 at Withdean any more. Let's save the away fan figures for the occasions when they deserve a clap... like fans who've travelled the length of the country to watch a team fighting relegation. If at all. And if we HAVE to announce the attendance, the time honoured "Tonight's attendance is..... " in a boring monotone is perfectly sufficient.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Also, agree on the attendance announcements. Against a club the size of Villa, getting over-excited about a 30,000 crowd is just the cue for a mass piss-take and boosts their noise levels. It's announced as if we're amazed that we're not playing in front of 8000 at Withdean any more. Let's save the away fan figures for the occasions when they deserve a clap... like fans who've travelled the length of the country to watch a team fighting relegation. If at all. And if we HAVE to announce the attendance, the time honoured "Tonight's attendance is..... " in a boring monotone is perfectly sufficient.

Personally thought they deserved a clap.
Over 3000 on a cold Friday night, many having a day off work, and live on sky .
Good support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here