Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Face ID is quite an interesting function but this data is of more value to Apple than us. It's a step closer to owning our souls.

Apple is doing more than most other tech companies in keeping users' data private and out of the hands of advertisers and even the government.

Their AI used for face detection and recognising objects in photos uses something called differential privacy. Everything is encrypted and done on-device. Unlike Google who DO own our souls. Apple are comparatively brilliant

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'll stick with my faithful HTC thumbprint jobbie.

What if THUMB BOY finds your phone...?

pic12259.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Less than 6 hours to go until Tim Cook dazzles us all.

It's annoying that my son has a school parents' evening that clashes with the announcement, but I'm sure there'll be another one next term I can go to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm interested to see I could get in to my identical twin brothers phone when this comes out.

And HBnB. You'll just need to wave your cock over his phone and you'll be in.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This facial recognition stuff is all well and good but am I going to have to become some sort of contortionist to use Apple Pay at a drive-thru from now. Am I going to be hanging out of the car window like an excited labrador everytime I fancy a Big-Mac?

D

Deleted member 22389

What a wonderful day indeed Bozza.

The worlds BEST company showcasing what will inevitably be the world BEST phone running the worlds BEST operating system operated by the worlds most INTELLIGENT users.

Used to like Apple years ago, their slogan think different was true, they where different, but now they seem as locked down as Microsoft. I have been using Linux for the last 9 years.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This facial recognition stuff is all well and good but am I going to have to become some sort of contortionist to use Apple Pay at a drive-thru from now. Am I going to be hanging out of the car window like an excited labrador everytime I fancy a Big-Mac?

Some geeks have been delving into that. Click through to this tweet and follow the chain:

[tweet]906888880187740166[/tweet]

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
So MacRumors are reporting that while the iPhone X will have wireless charging, Apple won't be making a wireless charger yet, and you'll be required to buy a third party charger if you want to use the feature. That seems like a spectacular lack of joined up thinking to me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Used to like Apple years ago, their slogan think different was true, they where different, but now they seem as locked down as Microsoft. I have been using Linux for the last 9 years.

Interesting you say that, but have Apple changed in that regard or is there just more choice?

If anything, at the start Microsoft and Bill Gates were less locked down than Apple. Bill wrote software for Apple, and whoever else wanted it. Apple thought different to the model of making a computer then buying software for it, BUT they were a locked down business model from the get go, which is where Wozniak and Jobs stopped running the company together as Wozniak was happy for geeks like him to adapt, transform, expand, but Jobs wanted a closed system. Apple has always been like that. They thought differently to competitors, they innovated, but they were always a closed shop, never wanted you messing with the hardware or the software. Jobs was a hard nose businessman with an instinct for marketing stuff we didn't know we needed.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So MacRumors are reporting that while the iPhone X will have wireless charging, Apple won't be making a wireless charger yet, and you'll be required to buy a third party charger if you want to use the feature. That seems like a spectacular lack of joined up thinking to me.

Just hang out at McDonald's innit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Very disrespectful to see NSC still alive and functioning during this tremendous occasion.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My old HTC One had facial recognition. Pretty pointless as the finger print unlock thing is better imo. How do Apple keep managing to sell old gimmicks as something new?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here