Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Stop taking my RIGHTS away!

Consider the permissions granted to you by a small handful of countries(EU) to enter their territory freely to work and live, compared to the majority of countries(rest of the world) where conditions apply to work and live, not as god given unassailable rights dished out at birth but permissions acquired or granted out of nothing more than political union and treaties.
This way, when you wake up one day soon to find the terms and conditions are different, your tolerance levels to change will be greater and your sense of self entitlement will be more in line with reality.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Quite. A friend of mine runs a business here, which needs English speakers, and has said if there’s any visa hurdles required from his end he simply won’t bother recruiting Brits.

On the plus side more opportunities for some on the English speaking German unemployed locals to get a job, its not as if they will be required to say squirrel every few minutes and look silly…….well I hope not, unless the job is for English speakers in a squirrel sanctuary of course, in which case I can understand him not wanting Germans and preferring Brits.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They should have the rights to move as well! Freedom of movement should be a basic human right. I can not understand how anyone can argue against it.

To be honest you were the person who thought border controls were racist, i can understand why you are having difficulties and are so confused.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It has to be like that, I could turn up anywhere in the EU and say I have been resident in Spain, you gotta let me in, this would require Italian authorities to become familiar with and be able to check 26 other countries residency documents and rules, just for the few ex EU citizens that might wish to move from one state to another. I think most Brits will apply for citizenship if they want to stay, and become EU citizens anyway, especially if they are in countries that allow dual citizenship.
The real problem is that many of the people affected in this way, were not able to vote in the referendum.

Well no, because the proposal(if agreed) is if you already live and work there you will be entitled to a permanent residence card immediately, allowing freedom of movement, and not having to wait the current 5 years, and keeping it if you are in keeping with the requirements in Citizens’ Rights Directive .The EU are talking about loss of permanent residence for UK citizens when we have left and reverting to residence and protected rights only in the state you are living in. Someone turning up in Spain after brexit and chancing his luck would not be able to prove residency prior to brexit, in the same way someone arriving here after brexit wont be able to prove they have been here prior to brexit and apply for settled status But yes the citizen option to a single country is one that is open to those who have been there years, but obviously the entitlement to this is only in accordance to the particular requirements of each country a person is living in.
This issue might play for a while yet especially now the ECJ have been asked to comment on citizens rights of UK nationals already living in the EU.
People not being able to vote is irrelevant as to the issue at hand, it has no bearing on the outcome.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You should be able to go wherever you want. Tracking the movement of the people you point out is a police issue and should be no different than tracking them between Birmingham and Manchester.

It becomes a problem when they cross borders which are unmanned. How do you think the atrocities in France happened and then why the borders were reinstated between Belgium. Thank god you don't deal with security, it would be a free for all

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It becomes a problem when they cross borders which are unmanned. How do you think the atrocities in France happened and then why the borders were reinstated between Belgium. Thank god you don't deal with security, it would be a free for all

There is no reasoning with this.

no%u0025252520borders%u0025252520nations%u0025252520illegal_thumb%u002525255B8%u002525255D.jpg

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
///

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In The Times today in the Phillip Collins colum - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/mogg-johnsons-will-betray-their-brexit-fans-2tzhsdcc9

The question yet to be asked, after the slow leaking of the Brexit assessments, is when Jacob Rees-Mogg or Boris Johnson plans to visit Brambles and Thorntree on the east side of Middlesbrough. Or perhaps Boston or Canvey Island or Skegness. Can the good people of Ashfield, Walsall and Grimsby gather in civic halls to hear how their comrades in the cause, the Mogg-Johnsons, plan to improve their lives? These places voted in the greatest number to leave the European Union.

No doubt in the hostelries of northeast Somerset (52-48 for leave) Mr Rees-Mogg accosts local drinkers with a cheery “would you say, fair yeoman, that to control one’s own affairs is a better state of affairs than some dastardly federal ballyhoo?” When the said yeoman assents no doubt Mr Rees-Mogg assumes himself pretty much in tune with the nation.

and

The very idea of a Mogg-Johnson visit to Grimsby has the air of the next Sacha Baron Cohen film about it. Instead, Mr Rees-Mogg spent last night at the Cambridge Union, right in the heart of the most pro-Remain ward in the country, describing the glory of national independence. It is no wonder he is so chipper. A referendum has gifted him a place in the spotlight. The Mogg-Johnsons have decisively taken back control.

Rees-Mogg loves people like me - he's promised to make my Albion hoodies and Adidas trainers cheaper. Being someone who suffers from a variable health condition, the next time I'm too ill to work I can just carry on or go to the poor house. :thumbsup:

Top bloke - he knows where its at.

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
what causes this lurch to the ridiculous concept of all trade ceasing with EU? as if they'll send their collective navies to blockade the channel. the worse, very worse case scenario is that everyone will still trade as they do today, with some tariff and paperwork added. no, that is not trivial, its a real cost, but its million miles "how could we survive".

Would they want to if we send the navy in as suggested? My example was daft in response to a ridiculous post. You clearly don't understand just in time production if you don't think things would change.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here