Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Can't really comment. Never saw said young lady, and if I had been in Pogues position, then fit or not I would have helped.

Perhaps she spotted Pogues fine athletic form and deliberately threw herself into the hedge in order to woo him.

:lolol:

Yes, I'd imagine that was it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
:)

I'd forgotten about that!

Ladies and Gentlemen of Cycling Geeks, why do I call [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] The Belgian?

First, I would suggest you experience it first hand but I will try to explain...

On a ride with Pogue, for the first 15 miles he is puffing and huffing. He'll be moaning about his bike and chattering on about some defect or other he has found with it. Beware, it's all mind games. Whether conscious or not, he has started to play out his devastating strategy.

As you approach the first climbs he'll be spat out the back with ease and on the following descent as he catches the group you'll here the following - "I just can't keep up with you guys today. Go easy on me." You sit up for a bit and think you can take it easy. You're in control. Not.

After about 25 miles you'll become aware that Pogue is taking some solid stints on the front whilst still allowing himself to tag onto the back of the group going up the hills. By this time you'll be thinking you've got the pace mastered and that you're clearly the ride leader. Already you are in his clutches. You are nothing more than a lead out!

As you reach 40 miles you notice that Pogue has sat up, is looking about and enjoying the ride. He's now tapping out an annoyingly steady cadence whether up hill or downhill.

At 50 miles, just as your lungs start to burn, Pogue will start chatting to you, all the while bashing out a relentless rhythm on the pedals. You're struggling up the slight climbs and now he is away in the distance. Like a metronome his legs are going round and round and round.

Pogue finishes a ride the way you and I would start one. With ease. There's only one way to beat him - don't let him mess with your mind early on, and take your chance to put distance between yourself and him as soon as you can. Failure l to do so and you'll just see him power off into the distance whilst the man with the hammer takes a beating on your chest.

I read a book recently that said Belgians often play these mind games. They then secretly tap out a regular incessant cadence that at the end of the day just crucifies the opposition. This is why Pogue is 'The Belgian'

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Nah, sounds like manages his food and drink better.

Anyway got some pleasing (I think) and annoying news from my LBS. Within a year, I have worn out my chain, cassette, brake cables and second sets of pads (both). Nice that the bike is getting plenty of miles, but its a tonne I'd rather not hit my credit card statement.

Mr randomness saw me top in non-purist and second in purist at last classic. Strange.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Anyway got some pleasing (I think) and annoying news from my LBS. Within a year, I have worn out my chain, cassette, brake cables and second sets of pads (both). Nice that the bike is getting plenty of miles, but its a tonne I'd rather not hit my credit card statement.

Mr randomness saw me top in non-purist and second in purist at last classic. Strange.
What are you doing to your brakes.

Chain and cassette is one thing, but less months max for brake pads seems a bit odd.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Just let go a little down hill should save brake pads.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
They thought the brakes weren't releasing properly after being deployed. I tend to use narrow lanes a lot when descending so can't go too mad down those.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They thought the brakes weren't releasing properly after being deployed. I tend to use narrow lanes a lot when descending so can't go too mad down those.

But surely you'd know yourself if they weren't releasing properly as you'd hear them rubbing. At which point you'd just adjust them.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
You'd think. I heard nothing. Mind you my hearing ain't great. That's explained my climbing struggles anyway.

:jester:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 issues:-

a) We had a little run of being asked for and handing out advise.
I think as usual we were keen to help, we were answered all the questions and proved a good service.
What do we get back in return:-

NOTHING.

Poor poor show.
I think we should charge for our services, offering a refund once a bike is purchased.

ii) [MENTION=29032]bpgoll[/MENTION] come back to us.
Ok so it was only your 4th post on NSC, and a little random, but we're not like the rest we're happy and friendly.
So pull up a chair, tell us about your cycling history, join fantasy, and enjoy the chat. (that last bit is easier said than done!!)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is why Pogue is 'The Belgian'

He's no Belgian, he's a wheelsucker, the filthy creep. :lol:

You've got to take Hamilton with a pinch of salt here SB. I too am a slow starter, and like to build up to a pace as I always find the first 5 or 10 miles of any ride really hard. [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], and to be fair @Thejudge both hammer out a great pace along the flat (although as I've pointed out before, @Thejudge descends like a small girl on stablisers!).

If 'The Belgian' is about knocking out a steady rhythmic cadence, then Hamilton is the one you constantly think you're dropping as his pace varies, then suddenly from the back of the line he shoots past everyone at twice the speed to take his turn on the front - only by the time everyone actually catches up with him after this sudden burst of pace, he's finished his turn!

If Pogue is 'The Belgian', then Hamilton is 'The D'Urso' as he's blowing up so regularly!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What an absolute shambles, you're all as bad as each other.

Do you lot go out with baskets on the front of your bikes, have a nice picnic with lashings of ginger beer?
No wonder everybody calls it lesser Sussex, that's why you lot won't amount to anything.
I bet you go out to enjoy yourselves.
Those kind of attitudes soon get found out in West Sussex.

This is what you rabble need:-

1365726363_dc7dfb81a0_o.jpg

I did a ride this afternoon so I can play around on Strava, for the first time, tonight.
It would seem my Garmin is a lot happier after going back to factory settings, hopefully anyway.
I'm yet to upload the ride.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As someone got all chesty on the 'myths' thread,

I guess we need to streamline our betting chat:-

We're selling Demare, no value in Griepel.

Kristoff is our best agreed shout at 12's.
Coquard will keep your form alive.

Roelandts and Megec worthy outsiders, although not necessarily recommended by the other.

Apologies, nothing to do with cycling, but betting instead.

Remembered a £1.20 additional free bet PP gave me (no idea why, it may have been a result of the Stan win?) had to be used up by today. I was too late for football really and obviously no cycling tonight. Come in Wimbledon dogs. Never betted on greyhound racing in my life before.

Used your love of funny names theory and went for - Droopys Odell - in the 21.19 race. All £1.20 @ 13/2.

Guess who won the 21.19 :lolol: £7.80 richer :rave: It all counts.

Edit: I should add. Stuck £1 e/w on Gaudin for Paris Roubaix @ 80/1 whilst I was there.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Apologies, nothing to do with cycling, but betting instead.

Remembered a £1.20 additional free bet PP gave me (no idea why, it may have been a result of the Stan win?) had to be used up by today. I was too late for football really and obviously no cycling tonight. Come in Wimbledon dogs. Never betted on greyhound racing in my life before.

Used your love of funny names theory and went for - Droopys Odell - in the 21.19 race. All £1.20 @ 13/2.

Guess who won the 21.19 :lolol: £7.80 richer :rave: It all counts.

Edit: I should add. Stuck £1 e/w on Gaudin for Paris Roubaix @ 80/1 whilst I was there.

Optimistic on Gaudin, he had a good result last year in Roubaix but this year he isn't looking great. Highest finish in a road stage, 71st in Omloop on Saturday. It looks like a freak result to me. Though my cycling betting record is appalling so maybe best to ignore me. I don't like betting this far out though, Paris-Roubaix is five weeks away, all sorts of things could happen between now and then.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Optimistic on Gaudin, he had a good result last year in Roubaix but this year he isn't looking great. Highest finish in a road stage, 71st in Omloop on Saturday. It looks like a freak result to me. Though my cycling betting record is appalling so maybe best to ignore me. I don't like betting this far out though, Paris-Roubaix is five weeks away, all sorts of things could happen between now and then.

I can't disagree with anything you say there. However....

Early season form wasn't great last season either, at least until he went and won the Prologue at Paris- Nice.
Said after last years 5th place that he was intending to comeback even stronger this year (I know, they all say that). He's a beast.
I was surprised him and Europcar team mate Turgot (another Paris Roubaix sensation) moved to AG2R. Both will be out to impress their new team perhaps?
Best value is to be had from betting a long way out. Risking though as anything could happen, as you say, but it's only £2 and a certain pooch has kindly paid for the bet tonight anyway :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I can't disagree with anything you say there. However....

Early season form wasn't great last season either, at least until he went and won the Prologue at Paris- Nice.
Said after last years 5th place that he was intending to comeback even stronger this year (I know, they all say that). He's a beast.
I was surprised him and Europcar team mate Turgot (another Paris Roubaix sensation) moved to AG2R. Both will be out to impress their new team perhaps?
Best value is to be had from betting a long way out. Risking though as anything could happen, as you say, but it's only £2 and a certain pooch has kindly paid for the bet tonight anyway :)

Hmmmm.
Assuming Orlandi wins Flanders, (was it last year he rode away with 50+kms still to go, was it Orlandi, or even Flanders?) anyhoo Roubaix has to be the biggest lottery of the season.
Cancellara should win, Wiggins said he will win :dunce:, I hope Stybar is going to win.

But it's Roubaix, anything can happen as Stybar proved last season when I think he would have won, had it not been for that spectator.

I think you can make that kind of case for plenty of riders not just Gaudin, but without a descent team and proper race pedigree I think your looking at needing a lot of good luck and bad luck elsewhere to see you through Roubaix.

I'm siding with P on this one.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You've got to take Hamilton with a pinch of salt here SB. I too am a slow starter, and like to build up to a pace as I always find the first 5 or 10 miles of any ride really hard. [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], and to be fair @Thejudge both hammer out a great pace along the flat (although as I've pointed out before, @Thejudge descends like a small girl on stablisers!).

If 'The Belgian' is about knocking out a steady rhythmic cadence, then Hamilton is the one you constantly think you're dropping as his pace varies, then suddenly from the back of the line he shoots past everyone at twice the speed to take his turn on the front - only by the time everyone actually catches up with him after this sudden burst of pace, he's finished his turn!

If Pogue is 'The Belgian', then Hamilton is 'The D'Urso' as he's blowing up so regularly!

'The D'Urso' :)

Sadly, too true.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hmmmm.
Assuming Orlandi wins Flanders, (was it last year he rode away with 50+kms still to go, was it Orlandi, or even Flanders?) anyhoo Roubaix has to be the biggest lottery of the season.
Cancellara should win, Wiggins said he will win :dunce:, I hope Stybar is going to win.

But it's Roubaix, anything can happen as Stybar proved last season when I think he would have won, had it not been for that spectator.

I think you can make that kind of case for plenty of riders not just Gaudin, but without a descent team and proper race pedigree I think your looking at needing a lot of good luck and bad luck elsewhere to see you through Roubaix.

I'm siding with P on this one.

No, Cancellara won Flanders last year with an attack against Sagan and Roelandts on the Paterberg. Tom Beans was injured for most of the Classics last season, the one you are thinking off is Roubaix 2012. Thanks for siding with me though.

At this point my thoughts on Roubaix are Stybar and Cancellara are most likely, think Boonen will go well in Flanders but two in a week will be too much. Also Sagan has to win one of them, he is just too good to be continually beaten, maybe Strade Bianche this weekend, and Milan San Remo, that is where my money will be going.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, Cancellara won Flanders last year with an attack against Sagan and Roelandts on the Paterberg. Tom Beans was injured for most of the Classics last season, the one you are thinking off is Roubaix 2012. Thanks for siding with me though.

At this point my thoughts on Roubaix are Stybar and Cancellara are most likely, think Boonen will go well in Flanders but two in a week will be too much. Also Sagan has to win one of them, he is just too good to be continually beaten, maybe Strade Bianche this weekend, and Milan San Remo, that is where my money will be going.
Your happy that someone who got just about every fact wrong, is siding with you :lol:

I have no idea about last year, that's not the first time I have completely skipped it.

Not bringing Sagan into the equation is pretty unforgivable, he has to go into the 'will win at least one' club.
When the list of favourites include Boonen, Cancellara, Sagan.
Then Stybar, a Sky rider, Belkin and Lotto will fancy something.
It does rather squeeze the field for a surprise podium.

Oh and Cav is confirmed for Milan San Remo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here