Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1982/83

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Howdy all and a Happy Christmas to everyone,

Just to let you know that the QPR edition of Seagull on the 27th will be focusing on the 1982/83 season when we achieved the unique double of an FA Cup Final and relegation from the top flight. This one was almost impossible to write because so much happened - big highs, and lows, the latter being somewhat overshadowed at the time by the cup run. Let's face it, we all thought we'd be back up in the top flight within a couple of years. Thirty-three years later, we're still waiting (albeit hopefully not for much longer).

Gary Stevens, the BBC's Man of the Match over the two cup finals, will also be sharing his recollections in our question and answer section. Feel free to share your own memories of the 1982/83 season on here.

Just to recap, to mark the impending 20th anniversary of the Goldstone's demise we are remembering stand-out seasons from our time at the old place in each edition of the programme throughout this season.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the retro pieces in Seagull.

All the best,
Spencer (Albion fan, sports writer & author)
[MENTION=23620]Spencer[/MENTION]Vignes

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Went to the semi and both finals. Apart from that Ryan free kick, my best moment was walking up the steps at Wembley to see 30,000 plus Albion below me and a sea of mancs on the other side. All you could hear was 'SEEEEEAGULLLS'. Epic.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Went to the semi and both finals. Apart from that Ryan free kick, my best moment was walking up the steps at Wembley to see 30,000 plus Albion below me and a sea of mancs on the other side. All you could hear was 'SEEEEEAGULLLS'. Epic.

Blimey was it Gerry Ryan. I've spent 33 years thinking it was Jimmy Case !

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
One forgotten gem which I didn't have room for in the pages was our home game against Sunderland in the league that season. Two goals down, fought back to win 3-2. We had some good results at home against the better teams but unfortunately failed to beat the majority of the other strugglers. That, along with our poor away form, did for us in the league.

At one stage we were played seven, won five, drawn two at home in the league. At which point we fired Mike Bailey. True, he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but our failure to appoint a permanent replacement until, get this, March, meant we were virtually doomed.

Jan 30, 2008
Did the whole lot starting with the pre season friendlies right up to the Cup Final replay, midweek aways at Newcastle, Swansea and Sunderland and going down with out a fight at Norwich as the team were too bothered with Wembley and Foster getting suspended
but there was fighting at Norwich :dunce:
regards
DR

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
O/T - saw Fozzie this morning in George Street pushing a buggy

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
What a strange season that was. We were magnificent in the cup yet absolutely useless in the league.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I remember listening to the semi final draw which I think for some bizarre reason was on a Monday lunchtime. I took my radio to college and listened in. I was so pleased that we had avoided the other two.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I remember listening to the semi final draw which I think for some bizarre reason was on a Monday lunchtime. I took my radio to college and listened in. I was so pleased that we had avoided the other two.

The FA Cup draw was always on the radio on a Monday lunchtime in those days. I can still remember my joy when we avoided United and Arsenal.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Have you thought of doing a profile of Charlie Baker, Albion goalie in the early 60s? Local boy (Turners Hill) and was in goal during my first season of regular Goldstone attendance. One of the old school who wore a cap when playing. Believe he was a part-timer. A friend of mine recently bumped into him. Now living in Crawley. Would be interesting to find out how the game has changed in 50+ years.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Steve Foster doing everything to get sent off away at Notts County to avoid being suspended for the final, but the ref refreshing to join in and just blew for free kicks and nothing else.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
One forgotten gem which I didn't have room for in the pages was our home game against Sunderland in the league that season. Two goals down, fought back to win 3-2. We had some good results at home against the better teams but unfortunately failed to beat the majority of the other strugglers. That, along with our poor away form, did for us in the league.

At one stage we were played seven, won five, drawn two at home in the league. At which point we fired Mike Bailey. True, he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but our failure to appoint a permanent replacement until, get this, March, meant we were virtually doomed.

Did we score two really late against Sunderland? There's a game from around that era where I left about 5-10 minutes before time to catch the no 2 bus back to Shoreham ahead of the rush. Just after I left the ground, I heard a massive roar and then again as I got close to the bus stop. I was absolutely gutted. I have never left a game early since. Always thought it was against Spurs though.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Did we score two really late against Sunderland? There's a game from around that era where I left about 5-10 minutes before time to catch the no 2 bus back to Shoreham ahead of the rush. Just after I left the ground, I heard a massive roar and then again as I got close to the bus stop. I was absolutely gutted. I have never left a game early since. Always thought it was against Spurs though.

Yes, Spurs. Great game. Went with my dad who tried to drag me out 15 minutes before the end. We did not look like scoring. He still thanks me to this day for making sure we stayed.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Went with a semi to both finals. Apart from that Ryan free kick, my best moment was walking up the steps at Wembley to see 30,000 plus Albion below me and a sea of mancs on the other side. All you could hear was 'SEEEEEAGULLLS'. Epic.

Corrected for you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here