Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carayole - can someone EXPLAIN ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I wasn't at the game, but have read the comments about no wingers starting. Perhaps hughton thought Norwich would be too strong for his team and decided to pack it through the middle and play a little conservatively then see how the game pans out.

In the Norwich manager's pre- match interview he said - with some certainty and conviction - "We know how Brighton are going to set up their team". It's not hard to work out how we'll play and when our forwards don't score and our wingers benched it makes it easy for the opposition to plan.

Houghton needs to sort this for next season. Bournemouth have shown there are goals to be had in this division and you can go far even with an average defence.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Previously options from.......
Noone
Vicente
Orlandi
Buckley
Lua lua
Conway
March

At any time probably 3 of those available.

Right now....
Lua Lua
Carayole

March (injured)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's called Hughton doing a Hyppia......

He was asked the same question by Radio Sussex and he said as the game was so tight he felt any changes should be players who had already played together...

(Even though that meant playing CMS is a wing role while a winger sits on the bench). We have a cautious manager and he will not change.
At least I will be close to Lua Lua as he spends next season running up and down the touchline waiting for his 10 min cameo.

I totally understand that substitution.

Norwich had 5 men strung across midfield. It was difficult to play through them so long balls over the top was a potential solution Best is awful and CMS not much better. COG was nackered by the so had to go off. Carayol only arrived on Tuesday afternoon so he needs more time on the training ground with the team as he is only coming back from injury. He actually played alongside Chris' son Cian at Lincoln City and Cian mentioned to me that on his day he is brilliant player so I am looking forward to seeing him.

I spoke to CH after the match and he knows that the forward line is a major problem and he knows he needs to sort that during the summer. Norwich are toe form team in the league so this was never gonna be one of the games we could rely on to pick up the points we need to stay up.

If we avoid defeat away to Wigan and Rotherham. Better still if we beat Rotherham then I think that will secure it. At the bottom Millwall have the easiest run in but none of the sides down the bottom are good enough to go on a run of 3 straight wins.

Brighton couldn't get close to Norwich 1st 20 mins Dorrans was good but then Brighton pushed Dale Stevens on top of Dorrans then catalogue of errors in Norwhich midfield and Brighton should have been 2-0 up by half time.

Brighton forwards were woeful. If they defend like that in Premiership if they go up they will get slaughtered every week but all in all Norwich were better in almost every department yesterday.

Texiera is absolutely outstanding player, pure genius. The ball sticks to his feet like glue and he went round both Olsson and Whittaker like they wern't there but once he got past them his shots were so weak they were like pass backs to Ruddy.

Man of the match has to go to Nathan Redmond - Two moments of absolute magic from him when he flew passed Bennet at full back produced the goal from one of them. For us we need to target out survival points and then next year CH will target addressing our weaknesses

Ref missed a stonewall penalty for Brighton when Texiera was brought down in 2nd half but I don't actually think Brighton deserved a point, although I would have loved to have taken not just one point but 3 points but all in all I think we have enough to stay up and then regroup and improve the squad for next year when he will have some money to spend but we need to get some of the big wage earners of the wage bill first so that will be main priority I think in the summer.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Houghton is probaly working on one thing only, making sure we're in this division next season but while he's doing that ,yesterday why didn't he throw on LL as soon as they scored? There was the usual delay as the bench got together and had a chat about it and Redmond start to run us ragged on that side. It was just like the Poyet days when everyone could see what was needed but it took so long to happen. LL should have thrown on as soon as their r/b was booked so he could have put pressure on that side as their defence didn't look that safe all afternoon. Let's hope that being too cautous don't lead to a run of defeats and us being pulled back towards the bottom 3 .

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Houghton is probaly working on one thing only, making sure we're in this division next season but while he's doing that ,yesterday why didn't he throw on LL as soon as they scored? There was the usual delay as the bench got together and had a chat about it and Redmond start to run us ragged on that side. It was just like the Poyet days when everyone could see what was needed but it took so long to happen. LL should have thrown on as soon as their r/b was booked so he could have put pressure on that side as their defence didn't look that safe all afternoon. Let's hope that being too cautous don't lead to a run of defeats and us being pulled back towards the bottom 3 .

It only took 9 minutes to bring on Lua Lua. Reddmond was running Bennett raged down there right, there was a risk of losing a second goal very quickly down that side of the pitch. You cant afford to 2-0 down, you need to stay in the game. LL did OK when he came on but he doesn't give you anything defensively against the Redmond threat on that side.

Norwich had the midfield packed. We don't have the strikers with any quality. That's our problem so that is what needs to be sorted. We were chasing 1 point yesterday. We didn't get it but if we had got the penalty we would have maybe got it. Time to move on to the games where we are more likely to pick up some points. Against Norwich was always going to be difficult as they are the in form side in this division.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Carayole has minced down here making all the noises about rather fancying making this a permanent move.

To be honest, he's clearly a TOOL who is in on his own eyes 'TOO GOOD FOR US' and can't be arsed to put a shift in.
Guess he is oh so happy to sign a new deal for the Middlesbrough FFP-busters.

I know we're a bitter and twisted lot sometimes on NSC, but why this sniping at Carayol? - why is he 'mincing' down here, and what has he done to prove himself a tool? The bloke hasn't set foot on the pitch for us yet! - and he can hardly help it if he's not selected.
And yes, like any other player whose contract ends at the end of the season, he is looking at his options for next year. Is that a problem?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I know we're a bitter and twisted lot sometimes on NSC, but why this sniping at Carayol? - why is he 'mincing' down here, and what has he done to prove himself a tool? The bloke hasn't set foot on the pitch for us yet! - and he can hardly help it if he's not selected.
And yes, like any other player whose contract ends at the end of the season, he is looking at his options for next year. Is that a problem?

Well said....At least give the guy a few games to prove himself before slagging him off. I am looking forward to seeing him as I have heard good things about him

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Not sniping at Carayol all. I WANTED to see him on the pitch in the second half, the sooner the better as we had a chronic lack of width.

I mince around all over the place. I don't view it as being anything derogatory.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well at least give the Management team time to assess him in training. He has only had 2 full days of training with the other lads so far

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sniping at Carayol all. I WANTED to see him on the pitch in the second half, the sooner the better as we had a chronic lack of width.

I mince around all over the place. I don't view it as being anything derogatory.
Fair enough if you weren't sniping at Carayol. I think you might find your interpretation of the verb 'to mince' as not being a tad derogatory might be something of a minority view though!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here