Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did the fans go a bit far with the COG songs?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Just to echo what everyone else has said. A truly refreshing interview from a professional footballer. Really bloody hope he gets a run in the team, some good luck and his wife and kids find out what a great place Brighton can be to live in and/or around.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It was the same at Fulham. He has played 20 minutes, sets one goal up and scores another. I would really love to see COG and CMS or Baldock as a two up front as I think they would really scare teams to death.

I think he might also have won the free kick for the first goal.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Just to echo what everyone else has said. A truly refreshing interview from a professional footballer. Really bloody hope he gets a run in the team, some good luck and his wife and kids find out what a great place Brighton can be to live in and/or around.

This

Hope he now stays and gets his chance to prove himself.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This reminds me of Ritchie Barker at the beginning of the 98-99 season: he'd been absolute toilet in the 2nd half of the previous season after we'd signed him, but had obviously got himself into shape in the close season and turned into a very useful 4th tier striker and a bit of a cult figure.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's a tough situation re his family as I would imagine in his mind his future here is still far from certain. I hope he can continue in the same vain as his previous performances and hold down a regular place in the team. Seems like a genuinely nice guy, hope it works out for him here and the supporters really get behind him instead of moaning like with previous players (Barnes springs to mind)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Seems like a nice, honest pro from that interview. I hope it works out for him, you don't score 15 goals in a side relegated from our division without there being something to your game. Hopefully Hughton can bring out the best in COG now.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
There was a minority that took the piss, particularly at the station, the vast majority were delighted for the lad and after watching that interview I hope it now starts to work out for him.

I thought Hughton's substitutions were key (Halford and O Grady), he's very quickly worked out that we are a bit lightweight up front and in midfield and sorted it out, onwards and upwards!!

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
If you were at the game then you will have heard the same song sung, outside the ground afterwards, on the way to the station and on the train that didn't move after Putney. No malice and everybody smiling after a great game.

And as an aside, I really was starting to wonder if after years of travelling, I would ever hear the Seagulls in full voice again. Well on Saturday I did and it was just fantastic. To everybody there, I thank you.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Classic Floyd from the Judge and the Bollox Crew at the game yesterday. I think they called it 'COG in The Machine'

"Welcome COG, welcome to the BHA machine.
Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been.
You've been up in Sheffield, filling in time.."

When you typed "classic", did you actually mean to type "shit"?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Four words.

Johnny
Crumplin
Football
Genius

Started as a sarcastic piss take, and culminated in him having John Barnes in his pocket at Anfield.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Agree with others. Seems like a top professional, and genuinely nice bloke. Really gone up in my estimation and I hope Hughton gives him the chances he needs to show his evident quality.

Also, proof in case it were needed that support from the stands CAN make a difference on the pitch, players react.

Made me more glad that hyppia is no longer with us.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think it did get a bit OTT but it worked! Hopefully it'll be the first of many goals to come.

Made me laugh how no one wanted to the first to get on pitch...

Made me laugh even more when, after the first chorus of that song, a bunch of stewards marched across the front of the stand. I think they may have taken it seriously.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I thought Hughton's substitutions were key (Halford and O Grady), he's very quickly worked out that we are a bit lightweight up front and in midfield and sorted it out, onwards and upwards!!

This pleased me greatly given a stat one of the Norwich fans on here quoted, stating that Hughton went on a run of making sixty plus substitutions before any of them resulted in a goal or assist.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
This reminds me of when we signed Nogan who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo for the first three months and then he scored a fluke goal as a result of a scuffed keepers kick which rebounded off him and ended up in the back of the net. He then went on to score shed loads for us that season.

I remember it well, I think! Wasn't it against Bournemouth in some tinpot cup competition at The Goldstone? Think I watched it from the West stand - one of the few occasions I stood there.

As for O'Grady. I heard the interview on Radio Sussex and thought "what a lovely, honest fella". I wish only the best for him now, be it with us or someone up north.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Four words.

Johnny
Crumplin
Football
Genius

Started as a sarcastic piss take, and culminated in him having John Barnes in his pocket at Anfield.

There was a "Chris O'Grady, football genius" yesterday.

The ones bordering on piss taking can stay at home next week. The rest (and the crowd were going through their range of songs, squeezing "Chris O'Grady" into them, for the rest of the game yesterday): let's have them all again at Charlton next week and get him hitting the net once more. Keep the O'Grady love going :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here