Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you feel bout the £1.5m fee for Zamora?

How do you feel bout the £1.5m fee for Zamora?

• Its a great deal for the Albion

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I am upset we didn't get more

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I am disgusted and feel cheated by DK

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I'm still in shock, cant vote now

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Bearing in mind we have to pay off Bristol Rovers and various other things and will probably make no more the 750/850k out of Bobby Zamora...
:(

Last edited:

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Definitely still in shock!! Won't know how I feel until I hear something from DK and the club (and hear who the hell we are going to replace him with!!)

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Upset we didn't get more but like a lot of other threads on this site say the transfer market is at rock bottom at the moment.

Just hope and pray there is a sell on clause.

rjc

Jul 18, 2003
Basingstoke
upset we didn't get a minimum of 2 million but if a world cup winner (klebberson) is going to the filthy Manc for 5 million I think we did ok for an untested striker who has only really proved himslef in the lower divisions.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
I will let you know how i feel when Mr Tight has told us his reasons for selling Bobby at this stage. I.e. are we in deep financial shit????

Strangull

Jul 11, 2003
Not enough!!
I hope we have a sell on clause too !! Very poorly negotiated.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
We may have got even less for him after Christmas. He turns 23 in January and I believe the rules change removing what little protection small clubs have from nurturing their assets. Secondly, the new Premiershite TV deal is being negotiated this year and it is blatantly obvious now that Sky are going to offer far less than they did last time round. As they have no real competition the field is open for them to name whatever price they like. Consequently, Premiership clubs are going to have even less to play with next year than they do this. Except for the moneybags rich clubs and they don't invest in the Nationwide.

Lastly, Zamora had a clause in his contract stating that the club would not stand in his way if a Premiership club came in for him. If we refused to sanction the deal, then Zamora's agent could quite easily say the club is in breach of his contract, something that was in a matter of words mentioned before the last game of the season. If he decided to sit out his contract it may affect the player but also his price on the market. Having your star player in dispute with the club would not do greatly for team morale either.

I would imagine DK would have tried to get the best deal he could possibly get weighing in future factors as above. Since Leeds decided to mortgage 6 years future crowd takings on their push for glory and fell flat on their face, other clubs are keeping tight hands on their purse strings. Hoddle knows this hence his smug attitude at the press conference. If anything is to blame in all this its the Bosman ruling. Since then clubs have lost a great deal of power over protecting players as assets, making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's hard to stomach that prices have got so low but I think, in relation to the rest of the market, £1.5 million now is a better price than the £3 million Everton offered a couple of years back.

Ok - that sounds stupid because we're £1.5 million worse off, but we have got about the best amount we could realistically expect right now.

The best financial option would have been to hold off selling him, but he's not too far off Bosman age and what's the point in having a player in the squad who , understandably, wants away.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I'm still in shock, cant vote now.

However, I think when I do begin to think rationally about it. I will be disappointed we didn’t get more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here