Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many premiership players were in our starting line up today?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The point that many are missing is that the club isn't going to, and frankly can't afford to, offload 4,5 or 6 contracted players in favour of like for like replacements.
As well as buy the players the team actually needs

He's been fantastic.
The 'woe is us' on here, at his reinstatement to the team typifies just how stupid we* all are.

*"no point signing Murray he'll be injured for half the season". ***cough*** :down:

Regarding the players in and out, it's too early to say. TB and PB have quite rightly played down transfer expectations. But TB the cerebral businessman will be absolutely determined that we stay in the PL, with some luck of course. I make the season one kitty £75m to cover increased payroll and net transfer spending (including say just one third of new transfer fees spent, as the fees are amortised over contract length). So the cost per season isn't as high as the (guessed by the media) reported transfer fees. Selling contracted players won't cost, instead it will raise funds. I don't think that we'll be getting rid of Murray, Duffy, Hunemaier and Murphy who make up the bulk of our unamortised transfer fees spend, so there won't be a hit to our accounts from a 'loss on disposal'. But allowing quite a few other players to leave/be sold, will free up further wages for the budget.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
The point that many are missing is that the club isn't going to, and frankly can't afford to, offload 4,5 or 6 contracted players in favour of like for like replacements.
As well as buy the players the team actually needs

He's been fantastic.
The 'woe is us' on here, at his reinstatement to the team typifies just how stupid we* all are.

*"no point signing Murray he'll be injured for half the season". ***cough*** :down:

I think there's a reasonable chance we could recoup some money for one or two of our fringe players. The likes of Murphy, Skalak and Norwood are decent championship players who have benefited from playing in this side. We're not going to get £££££ and we're not going to divest all of them, but it makes sense to offload where we can, to make way for a handful of new players who can compete at Premier League level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think there's a reasonable chance we could recoup some money for one or two of our fringe players. The likes of Murphy, Skalak and Norwood are decent championship players who have benefited from playing in this side. We're not going to get £££££ and we're not going to divest all of them, but it makes sense to offload where we can, to make way for a handful of new players who can compete at Premier League level.

It's just not going to happen in 3 months.

I'd hazard a guess the only 2 players with a long term future at Premier League Brighton is Dunk and Duffy.
The rest will be turned over throughout the next 3-6 Premier League windows.

The problem with a handful of new players who can compete at Premier League level. is they cost big money, with no guarantees, esp at the end of the league we'll be playing in.

Instantly shipping out so many 'solid' players could see the team deprived of exactly the sort of players it needs in 18 months time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I counted only Stockdale, Dunk, Knockaert and Stephens. Duffy would have made it 5. March was on the bench. Is Murphy good enough? The manager doesn't seem to think so. It's going to be a busy summer............

I think that's it. Murray, Sidwell, Kayal, Murphy, Bong all squad players but not first choice next season. Jury still out on March's appetite for me. He looks great running against tired defenders, seldom does much when he starts.

Get the feeling Rosenior and Bruno are too old for more than being late substitutes, sadly.

A fit Baldock may well be good enough alongside the right player too. Pocognoli also might be good enough.

We need at least six players better than ones we already have imo.

Hemed and Skalak will not feature much and may well leave imo.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The problem with a handful of new players who can compete at Premier League level. is they cost big money, with no guarantees, esp at the end of the league we'll be playing in.

Instantly shipping out so many 'solid' players could see the team deprived of exactly the sort of players it needs in 18 months time.

you're right we need to keep the spirit together, as that's important for a team competing against far better quality. however we must bring in some quality, and even just to freshen things up. so some players will have to leave to make way.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Stockdale Dunk, Hunemier, Knockhaert if he improves attitude when things not going well, Stevens and Kayal although poor today , Sell Skalak and Hemed as they will never get in squad and while they have some value on back of been part of promotion squad. Also Murphy and March could have part to play. Duffy also against Stoke Burnley etc but will struggle against top sides who keep ball on ground. Sidwell and Norwood as back up. The gulf is huge and we need 5/7 additions to todays side to compete. Fantastic what we have achieved but most of goals have come from hit it long or get it wide and then get in box, We will have to have a few more ideas then this

Best and most realistic summary of where we are,that I've seen on here.

If we can get our money back on Norwood, skalak, murphy and hemed then happy days. They have had their moments but we would need better

Last edited:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
So you would like Tony to spend more on 3 players than the club will receive for next season.

Clueless.

Where have i said i want bloom to spend that? Its my wish list. Its all about the clubs ambition to try stay in the prem for more than one season. If we dont add in any of the positions i hightlighted with some real quality we will struggle to stay up. What do we get for being in the prem £100 million? Loss of 26 million last year similar this year? Pay off those debts Would leave potentially 30-40 million to be invested in players + any cash from player sales. It will be about how much tb wants to gamble on keeping us in the prem.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
None today showed the character needed to compete in the Premier League-including the manager.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

This is very true, there's not been a lot said on here about our manager, he's done a fabulous job and we're heading to the Premier League, I do have reservations about his strategy in tough games. Clearly the team were not on form from the start yesterday, which is down to the manager in motivating the team, should they have needed it, along with no real game plan. Head to head with Leeds, Huddersfield and Newcastle has revealed that we have not performed when put under scrutiny, this will need to change next season as every game for us will be played under pressure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where have i said i want bloom to spend that? Its my wish list. Its all about the clubs ambition to try stay in the prem for more than one season. If we dont add in any of the positions i hightlighted with some real quality we will struggle to stay up. What do we get for being in the prem £100 million? Loss of 26 million last year similar this year? Pay off those debts Would leave potentially 30-40 million to be invested in players + any cash from player sales. It will be about how much tb wants to gamble on keeping us in the prem.
It might just be your 'wish list', but my personal one, which contains Salma Hayek & Scarlett Johansson, is more likely to happen.

Money will be spent, big money compared to the Albion's meager history, but 2 players who'd be nearer £20m than £10m, and one international currently earning £80 - £100k, a week, won't be walking out of the AMEX tunnel in August.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I wish people would stop saying premiership :(

Nothing personal Chucky, but everyone says this and I don't get it. Premiership/Premier League we all know what we're talking about. If they don't want people to get it wrong, why don't they stop dicking around with the name? Division One was fine with me.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
First 11:
Stockdale
Duffy
Dunk
Stephens
Knockaert
Pog

Subs:
Murray
Baldock
Sidwell
March
Hunnemaier

no Rosy then he has premiership experience and is reliable and can play in a multitude of positions

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Back on topic:

It's really hard to know who can step up a level.I remember a few years ago when we got promoted through the divisions everyone kept predicting Kerry Mayo wouldn't be able to cut it at the level above. And he always did, because of hard work, decent coaching and playing to his strengths.

Same with Ashley Barnes - lots of people thought he wasn't good enough for us in the Championship - but he's a successful, established PL player.

So we won't necessarily know till they get there. For example, I've got a hunch that Baldock will thrive in the PL because it will suit his game. Same with Kayal - he's had a difficult season this year because of injury mainly but if he gets a good pre-season I can see him motoring in the top division.

We do need new players (especially up front) but by and large it will be upgrading what we have, not binning people who've featured regularly this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that AK has shown at Leicester and with his attitude recently that he may not make it . No disputing ability wise if he can learn when he has gone far enough to not take the one extra opponent on to tackle him but also his attitude is getting poor as if the whole game centres around him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see The Algorithm has kicked in after Sunday lunch.

Bozza's setting up some click bait for the traditional post roast snooze time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here