Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clapping the opposition off the pitch.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They beat the team top of the league to stay in the division. Deserves a round of applause for sure. Some people need to grow up. The idea that it's 'plastic' is nonsense. It's happened for years. Normally it's more of a sign that the crowd 'know their football'.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Apologies if already mentioned!

But I did notice that the Bristol City fans were clapping after Atilla had finished his Goldstone Ghosts rendition. :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I didn't do it. I just stood there. But others did. I'm certainly not cross about that though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
First time i have clapped opposition for a long time ...I probably won't do it again for a decade or two...cant really see why the OP is getting his nickers in a twist about it

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
They were clapped off because they'd achieved there aim of staying up.(against a Permier bound side)

It's great news to hear that we're going to be even Permier......! :clap2:

IMG_8255.JPG

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
First time i have clapped opposition for a long time ...I probably won't do it again for a decade or two...cant really see why the OP is getting his nickers in a twist about it

This.

I thought that said a lot about us as a club. Made me feel proud to be honest - extremely sporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I've always felt that some of the normal rules don't always apply during the last home game of a season. I remember a very few thousand of us applauding a just-won-to-stay-up York off the pitch on a Thursday lunchtime after the abandoned game under very, very different circumstances. If we could find it in us to applaud a surviving opponent under those circumstances, surely it's no biggie to do so when we've already been promoted to the Premier League? Isn't that one time when it's OK to be magnanimous?

I applauded. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Can we please not do that again? It right royally wound me up more than the performance on the pitch today. You'll be pleased to know that I stuck true to my beliefs and flicked Vs at them and called them all names.

Seriously though...why do that?

Thought it showed our class to be honest. I also have respect that they avoided the drop and executed their game plan very well, without any time wasting or other cheating we so often see.

Well done Bristol City and good luck next year in the Championship

I'm with Buzzer here.

They just beat us, potentially costing us the title, and people clapped them?

Jesus. H. Christ.

If that makes me a dinosaur then so be it.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
watching Abraham after they moved away from their fans, he started applauding the Brighton fans long before we started applauding them... he was the first applauding and the last down the tunnel whilst still applauding....

Make of that boring fact what you like.......

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If I remember my history lessons, I do believe the Romans spontaneously clapped as the poor sods in the coliseum were about to be fecked by the gladiators and lions.
So showing a tad humanity doesn't hurt :thumbsup::wink:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
We also did it to Yeovil - I think it shows us to have class, and be better than MASSIVE or MIGHTY who would try and hang the opposition if the same had occurred to them

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am with Buzzer on this one and cannot believe the stick he has got. When tf did we applaud a team who stopped us winning the title for the first time in the clubs history. Fair play they deseved the win but applaud them for it ? What an absolute joke ! Have a look at the Bristol City fans forum and you may have wished you did not. This is a taster

Sky (did we even get a mention?)

Knockaert (****in whinger)

30,000 expectant fans (crap support by the way)

And best of all...All the blue few who couldnt wait for us to join them in the tramp league.

Wonderful. Almost makes up for the 8 game losing run. Almost.

This is what happens when you celebrate winning the league before the start of the game.

I'd love it if Newcastle won the league now. I'd bloody love it.

That's for the play off final.

While watching tonights game on Now TV, during a camera close up showing Lee Johnson, I could lip read a Brighton fan sitting behind him saying "This is ******* rubbish, ******* rubbish, this is ******* Bristol City we're playing"

Made me larf I tell you.

Yoda

English & European
No other clubs' fans do this and we've never ever done it before and I've seen hundreds of games where Brighton got played of the park by a better opposition. It's just so needy and right-on. By all means have a drink after with them and have a civilised debate about who are the nicer fans but what's wrong with just for those 90 minutes abusing the other team and fans as our forefathers did?

Let's not pretend that it's something we have done before because we're better fans. We're not. We're just more needy.

You obviously did not notice the 2 dozen or so Bristol City fans that stayed behind to applaud our players when doing their lap afterwards then did you.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
We applauded a team for avoiding the drop. If we can't be magnanimous as we mark 20 years since leaving The Goldstone, with all the solidarity from other fans and teams involved in our struggles back then and since, having been promoted to the top division after a 34 year wait, we would be a pretty shallow bunch. Bristol City, club and fans, are friendly sporting rivals, not lifetime enemies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here