Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
OK - This is a massive PLEA for advice from you experienced runners...

I have been running about 4 years maybe now. Fairly small distances. I did 6 half marathons in a year which was my biggest achievement so far and have 3 more booked up for the next 6 months. I run usually once a week due to time / childcare & often that is just a 5k park run or 10k gentle run. I am very slow compared to most - my 10k best time 58mins - first half marathon 2-23 but got that down to 2-05PB at Brighton this year. I love the buzz of half marathons - the sense of pride at crossing the line - the running with friends etc...

I entered the ballot for London marathon - kind of hoping I wouldn't get in (which I didn't). A few mates are doing Brighton marathon again and have asked me to consider it. I am. BUT I realise it's a big commitment. I'd probably want to do such an event for charity to spur me on to train properly and make sure I do it. It would be one of my lifetime achievements to complete a marathon hands down... I'm quite a big bloke (nearly 16 stone) but have lost nearly a stone since March and 9lbs in 3 weeks doing Juice-Plus diet with the Mrs and eating much, much better. The weight loss is helping with the running - massively.

Now here's the thing... I'm so so so scared at committing to a marathon! I find halves hard enough and I realise the enormity of the commitment - I'd have to follow a strict training programme and make sure I stick to it and am committed. I realise the enormity of taking on the distance but part of me is buzzing & excited. I don't want people on here to just say 'go for it' if they don't properly mean it. I value the advice of others who know best and there are many on this thread. Just want some advice from as many people as possible please...

Essentially I'm offloading my thoughts on you all so I apologise for the disjointed nature of this post...

PS - I also thought I ought to go to the doctors for an MOT before committing to this- am I being stupid thinking this?

Help appreciated an awful lot so thank you to those who have read and reply...

Much love

Sheebo

Completing a Marathon is one of life's massive achievements, its a real test of mental and physical endurance. There's nothing better than talking and discussing marathon's with other people - you're part of an exclusive club to have ran 26.1 miles...nobody can buy that experience!

Couple of points:-
- I would try and find a running club to join. A lot of clubs will have other runners training for a marathon, so you will be able to run with them. A lot more sociable and spurs you on to run each week.
- Find a realistic training programme for a Marathon and stick to it. Don't skip sessions on a cold January evening!
- Run for a charity. When you're hitting the 20 mile mark you want to have that financial motivation to keep going and not to let down your charity but those who have donated to you as well. Running for a charity will motivate you to run and train for through those hard months or sessions.

Do it Sheebo! Don't live life with regrets!

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield

I have been running about 4 years maybe now. Fairly small distances. I did 6 half marathons in a year which was my biggest achievement so far and have 3 more booked up for the next 6 months. I run usually once a week due to time / childcare & often that is just a 5k park run or 10k gentle run. I am very slow compared to most - my 10k best time 58mins - first half marathon 2-23 but got that down to 2-05PB at Brighton this year. I love the buzz of half marathons - the sense of pride at crossing the line - the running with friends etc...

I entered the ballot for London marathon - kind of hoping I wouldn't get in (which I didn't). A few mates are doing Brighton marathon again and have asked me to consider it. I am. BUT I realise it's a big commitment. I'd probably want to do such an event for charity to spur me on to train properly and make sure I do it. It would be one of my lifetime achievements to complete a marathon hands down... I'm quite a big bloke (nearly 16 stone) but have lost nearly a stone since March and 9lbs in 3 weeks doing Juice-Plus diet with the Mrs and eating much, much better. The weight loss is helping with the running - massively.

Now here's the thing... I'm so so so scared at committing to a marathon! I find halves hard enough and I realise the enormity of the commitment - I'd have to follow a strict training programme and make sure I stick to it and am committed. I realise the enormity of taking on the distance but part of me is buzzing & excited. I don't want people on here to just say 'go for it' if they don't properly mean it. I value the advice of others who know best and there are many on this thread. Just want some advice from as many people as possible please...

Essentially I'm offloading my thoughts on you all so I apologise for the disjointed nature of this post...

PS - I also thought I ought to go to the doctors for an MOT before committing to this- am I being stupid thinking this?

Much love

Sheebo

GO FOR IT >>>>>:clap2:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Much love

Sheebo

Like the others have said you should go for it. A couple of things about London, why did you enter the ballot? Was it just because it was the London Marathon, because if it was, then there are loads of charity places up for grabs. If you're only going to do one marathon, out of Brighton and London, I know which one I'd choose...

Anyone can run a marathon, given the right training plan, and if you're running halves, then you're well on the way. A 2-05 half is decent enough – with a detailed training plan you'll smash the marathon no worries (just don't head off too quickly).

The weight loss will help you get stronger and faster, but I'd steer clear of Juice Plus and get back onto a balanced diet – you need to be eating right, even if it is not as much as before. You'll still lose weight by doing that, I reckon.

The time commitment can be a struggle, but you have to make time for it. Whether that is getting up earlier, being selfish and running instead of doing something else or running to places instead of walking/getting public transport. I'm fortunately that I'm an early morning person, but I appreciate that long runs at 5:30am aren't for everyone...

Going to the doctors for an MOT would probably be a good idea, just to make sure everything is ok.

Good luck.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Like the others have said you should go for it. A couple of things about London, why did you enter the ballot? Was it just because it was the London Marathon, because if it was, then there are loads of charity places up for grabs. If you're only going to do one marathon, out of Brighton and London, I know which one I'd choose...

Anyone can run a marathon, given the right training plan, and if you're running halves, then you're well on the way. A 2-05 half is decent enough – with a detailed training plan you'll smash the marathon no worries (just don't head off too quickly).

The weight loss will help you get stronger and faster, but I'd steer clear of Juice Plus and get back onto a balanced diet – you need to be eating right, even if it is not as much as before. You'll still lose weight by doing that, I reckon.

The time commitment can be a struggle, but you have to make time for it. Whether that is getting up earlier, being selfish and running instead of doing something else or running to places instead of walking/getting public transport. I'm fortunately that I'm an early morning person, but I appreciate that long runs at 5:30am aren't for everyone...

Going to the doctors for an MOT would probably be a good idea, just to make sure everything is ok.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply - excellent advice!

In terms of the London thing yes I just entered ballot in the hope id get a place and will continue to do so for the next few years. It would be amazing I know - I am aware of the charity places but I think the lowest one is a £1500 commitment which I'm worried about. Also I have 4 mates doing Brighton next year and want to do it with them. London can wait for another time, the charity places at Brighton are a lot more reasonable. I find the buzz and crowds of Brighton & Hastings halves amazing so the full will be mind-blowing.

I will be going onto a balanced diet. I was sceptical of the juice plus thing but the Mrs is a rep & the capsules & shakes do help but the big thing is the first anyway. essentially no bad carbs/starchy foods but I appreciate I'll need to change that when running more.

Will probably ask for a training plan on this thread if I do decide to go for it...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Much love

Sheebo

Well you know what I'm going to say as well..........

A 2.05 half marathon base is a heck of a good starting point for a marathon training programme - bear in mind there are loads of generic plans you can pick up online that take you from NO running to a marathon in 16 weeks. If you were aiming for, let's say, a decent-enough 4-15, your current half base (if it was recent) could see you there in about 8 weeks.

Forget faddy diets, just eat normally and healthily. Get a programme (loads online depending on what you want to achieve), try to stick to it (but don't get stressed or try to make it up if you miss a session - life gets in the way sometimes), enter a few races of varying distances to get used to 'racing' and most importantly practice, practice and practice fuelling. Can't stress enough how important this is. Try out different drinks, gels, jelly babies, chocolate or whatever etc and find out what works for you, and the frequency you need to take it on (some will, some won't) as for a 4 hr run you'll need something.

Loads on here can help with advice as you get into it but it's a lot about practice, like any sport. We're all different.

London is a fantastic event, no question but I personally prefer Brighton (I've done London X 6 and Brighton x 5 I think) - loads of friends and family watching or running, fabulous atmosphere. Bet you're hooked once you've done it [emoji106] I was only going to do a marathon once - bucket list just before my 40th birthday. My next marathon will be my 50th (nothing compared to [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] of course [emoji3])

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

In terms of the London thing yes I just entered ballot in the hope id get a place and will continue to do so for the next few years. It would be amazing I know - I am aware of the charity places but I think the lowest one is a £1500 commitment which I'm worried about. Also I have 4 mates doing Brighton next year and want to do it with them. London can wait for another time, the charity places at Brighton are a lot more reasonable. I find the buzz and crowds of Brighton & Hastings halves amazing so the full will be mind-blowing.

I will be going onto a balanced diet. I was sceptical of the juice plus thing but the Mrs is a rep & the capsules & shakes do help but the big thing is the first anyway. essentially no bad carbs/starchy foods but I appreciate I'll need to change that when running more.

Will probably ask for a training plan on this thread if I do decide to go for it...

The juice plus thing is a farce and a pyramid scheme. My sister-in-law plugs it and as far as I can see its a protein shake with a load of added vitamins. If you replace meals with reduced calorie protein shakes then you will of course lose weight but there are certainly less expensive and healthier ways of doing it!

In terms of the marathon I say go for it! I am doing my first one in December and can't wait, you have to be able to commit the time to the training though.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Back out after a couple of weeks with (yet another) calf injury. Ran along the Adur up towards Steyning from Shoreham.
Felt good, and realised just how much I've missed it. Anyway, 10.5k in just over 52 minutes. Steady, but not bad for a 55 year old veteran!
Back to sea on Sunday for 3 months, so really good to get some miles on land in glorious Sussex before I go.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
And you know what I'm going to say, all of the above and also really important is a core strength and injury prevention programme in the gym.

Finally if you alternate walking and slow running each mile you'll be on for around 5:30 Marathon time - that does nt sound so scared does it?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The juice plus thing is a farce and a pyramid scheme. My sister-in-law plugs it and as far as I can see its a protein shake with a load of added vitamins. If you replace meals with reduced calorie protein shakes then you will of course lose weight but there are certainly less expensive and healthier ways of doing it!

In terms of the marathon I say go for it! I am doing my first one in December and can't wait, you have to be able to commit the time to the training though.

I thought the same but the Mrs had used it to come off tablets (she was on 24 strong painkillers a day - now on 2) and had lost half her overall weight before touching it so fair enough. When I say I'm doing that diet it's more a case of I've been using the capsiuls for 3 weeks & a shake in the morning that's all - but essentially been focusing on the diet side of it and have been eating much better. No way to tell if I'd have lost the same weight without the product - quite possibly, and not on it for life or anything - but have learnt a lot about healthy eating & cutting carbs from the whole experience so it's positive.... There are a number of different products in their line but yes it does cost...

Anyway that's a side point. I'm improving my diet already & it's helping with the runs - 26.5 pb at park run 2 weeks ago...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well you know what I'm going to say as well..........

A 2.05 half marathon base is a heck of a good starting point for a marathon training programme - bear in mind there are loads of generic plans you can pick up online that take you from NO running to a marathon in 16 weeks. If you were aiming for, let's say, a decent-enough 4-15, your current half base (if it was recent) could see you there in about 8 weeks.

Forget faddy diets, just eat normally and healthily. Get a programme (loads online depending on what you want to achieve), try to stick to it (but don't get stressed or try to make it up if you miss a session - life gets in the way sometimes), enter a few races of varying distances to get used to 'racing' and most importantly practice, practice and practice fuelling. Can't stress enough how important this is. Try out different drinks, gels, jelly babies, chocolate or whatever etc and find out what works for you, and the frequency you need to take it on (some will, some won't) as for a 4 hr run you'll need something.

Loads on here can help with advice as you get into it but it's a lot about practice, like any sport. We're all different.

London is a fantastic event, no question but I personally prefer Brighton (I've done London X 6 and Brighton x 5 I think) - loads of friends and family watching or running, fabulous atmosphere. Bet you're hooked once you've done it [emoji106] I was only going to do a marathon once - bucket list just before my 40th birthday. My next marathon will be my 50th (nothing compared to [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] of course [emoji3])

Brilliant matey. Well I'm booked in for Poppy half in a month - the 2-05 was Brighton this year & was done on 3x5k and 2x10k practice runs over 5 weeks. I'm already on 3x5k and 1x10k in the last 3 weeks so hoping to put proper training in for that. I've then got Hastings and Brighton booked for Feb/March next year so am going to be at the 13mile mark minimum a month before Brighton marathon. I appreciate I may need to be at 18 miles this point if I go for it though. The base is there but I'm a slow plodder. Just the thought of 2 lots of half marathon scares me - I'm usually really struggling the last 3 miles of a half!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Fair enough – some friendly and encouraging faces in the crowds can do wonders. Brighton is my PB course, but I totally get why people want to do London and London alone.

In short, as everyone else has said, you'll be fine over 26.2 miles.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fair enough – some friendly and encouraging faces in the crowds can do wonders. Brighton is my PB course, but I totally get why people want to do London and London alone.

In short, as everyone else has said, you'll be fine over 26.2 miles.

Have to say, I do very very much intend this to be my only ever marathon if I do it - unless I get lucky with London ballot one year. I know people say you'll get the bug - I kind of have that over half marathons TBH. And can see that being the challenging distance I go for. As for a time on a marathon - I literally wouldn't care one bit - I'd just be aiming to complete it TBH!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Brilliant matey. Well I'm booked in for Poppy half in a month - the 2-05 was Brighton this year & was done on 3x5k and 2x10k practice runs over 5 weeks. I'm already on 3x5k and 1x10k in the last 3 weeks so hoping to put proper training in for that. I've then got Hastings and Brighton booked for Feb/March next year so am going to be at the 13mile mark minimum a month before Brighton marathon. I appreciate I may need to be at 18 miles this point if I go for it though. The base is there but I'm a slow plodder. Just the thought of 2 lots of half marathon scares me - I'm usually really struggling the last 3 miles of a half!

If you start following a marathon programme any time soon you'll be at 18 way before Feb - you should be using the half then as a speedier run and a bit if a test (ie faster pace than you plan to run the marathon - run it hard as a tempo run basically). Your plan should have a big variety of runs each week - plus a rest day or two which are critical as you up the mileage (for most anyway). Speedy intervals, hill reps, a short easy run (or recovery run) and of course the longer one (which doesn't have to get longer every week - often good to increase it for 2-3 weeks then plateau or even step back a bit). Pace of the long run is important too - should be a minute a mile or more slower than your planned marathon pace.

Of course, once you've cracked out a few marathons you'll start thinking about longer runs [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I thought the same but the Mrs had used it to come off tablets (she was on 24 strong painkillers a day - now on 2) and had lost half her overall weight before touching it so fair enough. When I say I'm doing that diet it's more a case of I've been using the capsiuls for 3 weeks & a shake in the morning that's all - but essentially been focusing on the diet side of it and have been eating much better. No way to tell if I'd have lost the same weight without the product - quite possibly, and not on it for life or anything - but have learnt a lot about healthy eating & cutting carbs from the whole experience so it's positive.... There are a number of different products in their line but yes it does cost...

Anyway that's a side point. I'm improving my diet already & it's helping with the runs - 26.5 pb at park run 2 weeks ago...

Its great that the improvement in your diet and running is making you healthier.

I just don't think you need a unqualified housewife, some overpriced vitamins pills and a protein shake to lose weight. All the information on nutrition is widely available on the Internet, or save the money that you spend on Juice Plus to employ a professional coach/ trainer/ nutritionist.

I have never seen anyone that does one of these fad diets actually keep the weight off long term and think they can actually be quite dangerous.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Get used to sipping water every couple of miles (even if you feel you dont need it) get kitted out with decent running shoes and kit (try sweatshop in queens road or jog shop). You will only do a marathon if you get that perverse sense of satisfaction when you feel you've nothing left but keep going and enjoy that feeling. The biggest enemy is in your head.....negative thought, etc. Give yourself a reason for doing it and it doesn't have to be a charity. Personal achievement was the biggest driver for me.
Next time it's pissing down and you fancy a night in front of the fire put your running kit on and take yourself out for a run. That'll tell you if you can do it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Much love

Sheebo

Good luck.

Exactly this. You can do it and Brighton is a massive buzz. Last year all of us from this thread, the REMF runners and a couple of my friends from the Facebook group DYRT met up beforehand in front of the cafe just to talk tactics, running and get everyone in the right frame of mind. You don't have to pace with us, we all went our separate directions at start time (I should have split up from [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] :) ).

Sensible training, sensible diet and some sacrifices and you should complete and under 5 hours. See the doc. I did.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Today is the first day I can bend my knee comfortably for six weeks. Next week I start the exercises Jesus gave me to strengthen my upper left leg muscles. Possibly a tiny jog next Sunday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've cheated on Hove Park again. This time with Preston Park. Not a bad route but I'm no fan of the little hill at the end. Done in c.22.18 - happy with that seeing as I wasn't meant to be going for it...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly this. You can do it and Brighton is a massive buzz. Last year all of us from this thread, the REMF runners and a couple of my friends from the Facebook group DYRT met up beforehand in front of the cafe just to talk tactics, running and get everyone in the right frame of mind. You don't have to pace with us, we all went our separate directions at start time (I should have split up from [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] :) ).

Sensible training, sensible diet and some sacrifices and you should complete and under 5 hours. See the doc. I did.

I did tell you to slow down [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Good news on the knee matey. Mines still sore at times and definitely less flexible but I'm slowly getting back to at least a light plan. Did Hove Prom this morning just as a test/benchmark, unofficially 21:47 which given the last few months I'll take for now. It's a long road back to any kind of time comparable with what I was doing 3-4 months ago.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here