Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Body fat

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
the detail i dont know but seems to me that the process that stores fat would be reversed to take back the fat - LIFO. for FIFO you'd need a second mechanism at the other end of the deposits of fat to take the older deposits away.

S'true.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Having a knee problem my doctor told me to exercise to firm up my calf and thigh muscles. I found a PT at a gym. He sorted knee out in no time.

As I had enjoyed the exercising I continued, diverting to other forms of exercise. BUT I could not lose fat that I wanted to.

The PT said exercising alone will not lose fat, diet is as important, so he advised me what to eat and what not. However, you have to be very strict with yourself but I am not. Still like the odd chocolate and biscuit so don't get rid of all the fat I want to.

Since exercising however, I get weighed regularly and my weight has dropped by nearly a stone, body fat is down and body muscle is up. So without being a fitness fanatic am generally happy with my body.

What knee exercises did he make you do?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Yes I know. But what happens when you keep the same level of weight? You eat enough food to maintain your weight, so your body doesn't need to burn fat - or maybe it burns a little now and then, when you haven't eaten recently, and then when you eat, it puts some fat back.

But if it does that, does it use LIFO or FIFO?

You need to look at the balance of what you are taking in, to understand what is converted into fat and then you need to take a look at exercise zones and heart rate for a basic explanation of the theory of energy store usage. If you are focussing on reducing body fat for example, you need to ensure that you work at the right intensity, to maximise energy taken from fat reserves.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Having a knee problem my doctor told me to exercise to firm up my calf and thigh muscles. I found a PT at a gym. He sorted knee out in no time.
Nice.
As I had enjoyed the exercising I continued, diverting to other forms of exercise. BUT I could not lose fat that I wanted to.

The PT said exercising alone will not lose fat, diet is as important, so he advised me what to eat and what not.
Indeed, you cannot out-train a bad diet.

However, you have to be very strict with yourself but I am not. Still like the odd chocolate and biscuit so don't get rid of all the fat I want to.
Really? You can eat the odd biscuit and chocolate and still lose weight (fat). It's the whole diet that counts, the odd chocolate and biscuit won't stop that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I may've said it before, but we have a feeder at work. Since bubba Meade was born I have been in need of sugary stuffs to keep me vibrant. This chap started at work, and took it upon himself to malnourish us with a daily supply of biccies, crisps, unt chocolates. This fellow runs 18 miles a day and of course doesn't gain a ghastly pound. My 45 minute cycles to work and back weren't enough to rid me of all that I devoured.
Cycling a mile is cycling a mile, and you won't lose more weight by taking 45 minutes to do it.

In the past week, though, I have resisted his fattening allure, and I do feel rather fresh. Ok, I have replaced his fiendish temptations with a bowl of granola
Granola is pretty calorific. A little bit of it with some raspberries in Greek yoghurt however, and you're on to a winner.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You need to look at the balance of what you are taking in, to understand what is converted into fat and then you need to take a look at exercise zones and heart rate for a basic explanation of the theory of energy store usage. If you are focussing on reducing body fat for example, you need to ensure that you work at the right intensity, to maximise energy taken from fat reserves.
Is this Thunder Bolt's other account?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cycling a mile is cycling a mile, and you won't lose more weight by taking 45 minutes to do it.

if you try to go faster you'd expend more energy. same as running vs walking.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’m not sure that has been confirmed by any peer reviewed scientific research. Indeed this report, written by Lockyer and Stanner of the British Nutrition Foundation, states ‘To our knowledge, there is no reported evidence of coconut oil increasing metabolic rate in humans.’

You are right that all current research is anti but that happens with foods. Over the decades with eggs. Go to work on an egg, don't eat eggs bad for pour cholesterol, eggs are good for you.
Now that Lance Armstrong has stood down I'll put on a link from Livestrong. They are not the scientific evidence but they quote from Lipids Journal and The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Only opinions of course but it works for me.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/475588-coconut-oil-and-fat-burning/

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You are right that all current research is anti but that happens with foods. Over the decades with eggs. Go to work on an egg, don't eat eggs bad for pour cholesterol, eggs are good for you.
Now that Lance Armstrong has stood down I'll put on a link from Livestrong. They are not the scientific evidence but they quote from Lipids Journal and The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Only opinions of course but it works for me.
Interesting.
"As the name suggests, MCT molecules are shorter in length, which makes them more easily absorbed and more efficiently processed by your body. Rather than being stored as body fat, MCTs can burned for immediate energy or be converted to ketones, which your brain can use as fuel in lieu of carbohydrates. MCTs can also help you save calories. Most fats contain 9 calories per gram, but MCTs offer just 8.3 calories per gram."

Ok, so that's just saying it has less calories that some other fats, and can be used by your body more easily than other fats. So use it instead of other fats, not on top of.

"Coconut oil helps you feel full for longer, so you may eat fewer calories later, according to a review of research on MCTs published in the Journal of Nutrition in 2002. Both animal and human studies linked coconut oil to increased satiation, at least for several hours following consumption. This means that if you consume a teaspoon or two of coconut oil as part of your breakfast, you may end up eating fewer calories at lunch."

Again that's not saying it's good, it just might make you east less calories later. But you can do that with better foods, like protein instead.

"MCTs enhance energy expenditure and fat usage in obese women, when compared to long chain triglycerides, as shown in a study published in a 2003 issue of the International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders."

So maybe useful for fat women.

The jury is out.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
QUOTE]

:)
Why you..!!
8 miles each way innit.

I'm also cycling a couple of miles this lunchtime. The reason being that the mother in law is staying this week, and in the room in which I store my clothes. I'd forgotten to bring a pair of pants through last night in preparation for this morning - she irons my underpants when she stays, which I find odd - and when I went to the room, her snore was deafening, so I couldn't interrupt. So here I am, in yesterday's undies. Off to a Peacocks I pedal shortly, to rid myself of these clammy, claggy bumdingers.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
QUOTE]

Why you..!!
8 miles each way innit.

I'm also cycling a couple of miles this lunchtime. The reason being that the mother in law is staying this week, and in the room in which I store my clothes. I'd forgotten to bring a pair of pants through last night in preparation for this morning - she irons my underpants when she stays, which I find odd - and when I went to the room, her snore was deafening, so I couldn't interrupt. So here I am, in yesterday's undies. Off to a Peacocks I pedal shortly, to rid myself of these clammy, claggy bumdingers.

No pics please

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Interesting.

"As the name suggests, MCT molecules are shorter in length, which makes them more easily absorbed and more efficiently processed by your body. Rather than being stored as body fat, MCTs can burned for immediate energy or be converted to ketones, which your brain can use as fuel in lieu of carbohydrates. MCTs can also help you save calories. Most fats contain 9 calories per gram, but MCTs offer just 8.3 calories per gram."

Ok, so that's just saying it has less calories that some other fats, and can be used by your body more easily than other fats. So use it instead of other fats, not on top of.

"Coconut oil helps you feel full for longer, so you may eat fewer calories later, according to a review of research on MCTs published in the Journal of Nutrition in 2002. Both animal and human studies linked coconut oil to increased satiation, at least for several hours following consumption. This means that if you consume a teaspoon or two of coconut oil as part of your breakfast, you may end up eating fewer calories at lunch."

Again that's not saying it's good, it just might make you east less calories later. But you can do that with better foods, like protein instead.

"MCTs enhance energy expenditure and fat usage in obese women, when compared to long chain triglycerides, as shown in a study published in a 2003 issue of the International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders."

So maybe useful for fat women.

The jury is out.

One person does not research make, the jury is out indeed but not for me.

What I do know, from hands on experience, is that using coconut oil for for mast*******ion burns as much body fat as doing a run and is much better than goose fat, margarine, lard and, dare i say it, dripping.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Ok, I waded through most of this but apologies if I'm repeating stuff -

Fat is stored in cells called adipocytes. These cells will take up and release fat according to metabolic demands and under hormonal control. Fat will only enter/leave these cells via capillaries (blood goes artery-arteriole-capillary-veins). As a general rule, nothing leaves the blood through vessels other than capillaries.

These adipocytes will renew - some will die and be replaced over time. HOWEVER, there is good evidence that except for early childhood, adolescence and pregnancy, you cannot change the number of fat cells you have. These cells simply get bigger and smaller. This is why some areas have more fat than others - they have more adipocytes (for example abdomen vs back of hand).

The result of this is that you cannot target fat loss. The hormonal response is to release fat from adipocytes into the bloodstream from where it is taken up into metabolising cells (e.g. muscle). Sit-ups will not reduce belly fat, they will only tighten/tone the muscle underneath.

The science of metabolic rate, the central lipostat (the mechanisms by which your body attempts to preserve a certain amount of body fat) etc. is extremely complicated and not, entirely, understood.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why you..!!
8 miles each way innit.
16 miles more than I do. I should exercise, but I can't be bothered. The only exercise I've ever enjoyed is football, but my knees aren't that keen on me playing.

The reason being that the mother in law is staying this week, and in the room in which I store my clothes. I'd forgotten to bring a pair of pants through last night in preparation for this morning - she irons my underpants when she stays
:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here