Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney not world class says...................Joey Barton

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He's not. Most over rated English footballer ever. I'm still mystified by the fuss over him. I was genuinely excited by him at Euro 04 but he peaked at that tournament IMO.

He's a good premier league player but nothing more, not fit to lace Messi, Ronaldo or Ibra's boots.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So how many world class footballers are there in total? By the look of this thread about 10.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
There's a difference between being "world class" and being "the best in the world".

If a player would get into at least half of the Top 20 club teams in the world then they have to be regarded as world class, and I believe Rooney probably would do that.

That makes Tom Cleverly world class....... Get Out. :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've listed the biggest clubs in Europe bar a handful. And he'd get into all of those as a starter. The other week he scored a goal from the halfway line. How often does that happen in Europe's top leagues? A special goal from a talented player.

How many England players of the last 40 years were capable of going to the Maracana and scoring that incredible goal he managed? Two or three, perhaps.

Man Utd are paying him megabucks because players who can do these things are thin on the ground.

The very fact you're trying your best to convince us suggests he isn't.

He has never shaped or turned the biggest games like true class players do. In fact there is plenty of evidence to show he chokes on the big stage. He's good, but far from world class.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
So how many world class footballers are there in total? By the look of this thread about 10.

By its very definition, each generation only throws up a few footballers that can be called ' world class ' These are the players that you will talk to your children and grandchildren about....Di Stefano, Pele, Eusebio, Best, Cruyff, Maradona, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo. There are not 10 footballers in the world at present that will be talked about in 30 years time. There are two.
Rooney doesn't even come in that very select group of English players that could be called world class. Finney, Charlton R, Moore, Banks and Edwards ( although some will argue that it was such a relatively short career that he can't be judged properly ) Below these few come a group of players that are on the fringe of this elite. Matthews, Greaves, Haynes, Gascoigne ( could have made the top group if he had fulfilled his potential ) Shilton, Robson and Lineker.
I would put Rooney just below this top dozen. With the next group....e.g Ball, Peters, Clemence, Shearer, Owen, Wright ( Billy ) Wilson, Beckham, Ferdinand, Keegan, Gerrard etc. Very good players but just short of top class.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He's not. Most over rated English footballer ever. I'm still mystified by the fuss over him. I was genuinely excited by him at Euro 04 but he peaked at that tournament IMO.

He's a good premier league player but nothing more, not fit to lace Messi, Ronaldo or Ibra's boots.

Agree with this. He was superb at Euro04 and I hoped he would develop into a top, top player but it seems that was his peak.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's wrong to measure possible 'World Class' players against Messi and Ronaldo's abilities, as no one else can compete at their level. There's a sub category below them that would include the likes of Busquets, Iniesta, Zlatan, Suarez etc. Rooney probably has a claim to be in there on previous form.

Think I would agree with that.

I don't think Rooney has any class at all let alone world.

He was a promising youngster but has failed to deliver. I can't remember any top European team being interested in him which speaks volumes.

Not sure how you can say that. 38 international goals at a rate of just under 1 every 2 games and 214 goals for a team that has won more domestic honours by a country mile than any other team over the last 25 years.

Too much mouthing off at refs and linesmen and generally being a gobshite from Rooney. The real world class players are mostly cool, efficient and clinical rather than running around trying to kick someone out of frustration. Can be brilliant but can too often be a yellow card waiting to happen.

Seem to remember Ronaldo mouthing off at a ref which got Rooney sent off. Apparently that is ok if you are one of the top two players in the world!

He obviously is not in the same league as Messi and Ronaldo but I would suggest a lot of peoples judgement is clouded by a dislike for the personality of the man. He smokes, but then so did Zidane. He mouths of at refs but then so does Ronaldo! He hasn't achieved what he should have at tournaments. Well not sure one man can change a tournament, it takes the team and, to be honest, a lot of our big names have let us down there. Also, compare him to Ibrahimovic, at how many tournaments has he been outstanding.

Having said that, I do agree that Rooney hasn't fulfilled the full potential he showed when he first played for Everton but I suspect that, given the chance, a whole host of top teams would rather he were playing for them than against them.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Some players can handle the trappings of fame and fortune and retain the hunger to improve and grow as a player.
Rooney isn't the type.He's sorted for life and doesn't need to improve.Most players are the same.
World class players strive to improve every day.
On what I have seen the one world class player playing in the Premiership right now is Suarez,and he has some issues he still has to convince people he is done with.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Some players can handle the trappings of fame and fortune and retain the hunger to improve and grow as a player.
Rooney isn't the type.He's sorted for life and doesn't need to improve.Most players are the same.
World class players strive to improve every day.
On what I have seen the one world class player playing in the Premiership right now is Suarez,and he has some issues he still has to convince people he is done with.

Pretty much agree with all of that.
It was obvious from an early age that he wasn't going to make 'old bones ' as a player a la Sheringham, Giggs, Phillips. I would be surprised if he gets much past 32-33, with his heavy build.
Blessed with masses of natural ability, he has got by doing just enough at club level to justify massive wage increases every two to three years. Very few players can influence games at the highest level and unfortunately the excitement Rooney generated in 2004 has not been maintained. You are right about him. He lacks the hunger of some others and doesn't feel he needs to improve.
Gascoigne had masses of ability ( enough to take him to the highest levels of the game ) but his self-destructive streak limited his achievements. Suarez is probably the best player in the PL ( run close by Ya Ya Toure ) but like Bale and some others still short of the incredibly high standard set by messrs Ronaldo and Messi.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Barton clearly attention seeking. I dont like rooney but anyone can see he is a world class footballer

Very good player, top class player...but not world class. Please use this epithet sparingly. As many posters have said already, there are really only two fully deserving of this title and even they haven't produced at World Cup Final Tournaments.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Messi/Ronaldo/Ibrahimovic play in poor leagues, so have no probs notching loads, whereas Rooney has scored over 200 league goals in ten years in probably the toughest league anywhere. Ask a Prem manager if they would sign a striker likely to have those stats and they would say a resounding yes :)

Ibrahimovic did pretty well in the notoriously defensive Serie A.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Joey Barton was never the player Wayne Rooney is, but he'd know a damn sight more about what it takes to be World Class than anyone on here.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I think when you have class players around you like Messi and Ronaldo have it obviously makes you look better , I agree Rooney is not in the same class but when he has better players around him he looks better , at Man Utd at the moment he hasn't , and when he was in poor form for England he didn't have good players around him , now the players are better (England's last few games ) he has played much better . He nearly always puts in a shift but when you haven't got the players alongside you playing reasonably well it looks worse on him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here