Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tonight,s EU vote and the margin of defeat ?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Now would be a good time to tear up the rulebook and start again.

The two party system and FPTP don't work anymore.
Labour and Conservatives aren't fit for the modern world, they're both stuck somewhere in a previous decade.

Sadly it won't happen, we're all too comfortable to overthrow them.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I would hope everyone would be united (leavers and remainers) in condemnation of the EU if they insisted remain should be on the ballot paper in such circumstances. The decision of the content in such a referendum is the sovereign right of parliament to determine not the EU.
They wouldn’t insist though, they are not that bad.

One thing is for sure; they will surely not allow an extension of article 50 for more can kicking.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm not sure they would extend it for a referendum that has No Deal on the ballot paper either.

True.

I actually think that parliament will vote to rule out No Deal very soon as there is a very clear majority for this, it’s the first stage of agreeing what sort of Brexit the house will vote through.

However, if the people are to vote on what Brexit they’d prefer, having ‘No Deal’ off the table seems very undemocratic.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That surprised many and I lost €40 on my holiday change rate
Wow! What a high roller you are BG! The Pound slowly sank during the day but bounced back up to where it started the day after the vote.... You would have to have traded a good few thousands in order to have lost £40.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Her flagship policy/deal is a record defeat. What rabbit does she need to pull out of the hat to have any credibility or sell to people/MPs. We have a failed prime minister and government.
Any normal PM would have done the decent thing months ago after the drip drip of humiliating defeats in parliament and the ultimate defeat last night. Strong and Stable.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
To those calling for a second vote......imagine the worst kind of racist, bigoted leave voter.
You are essentially giving people like these license to argue that their opinion has been discarded by a so-called democratic process.
Except they probably will not reasonably argue their points, more likely they will use it as an excuse to initiate violence on your street.
People take general relative peace and safety for granted in this country but it’s not a given.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Any normal PM would have done the decent thing months ago after the drip drip of humiliating defeats in parliament and the ultimate defeat last night. Strong and Stable.

Oh well let’s untrusted the next 5 years to this lot then.
f6b9072512da1b1517a2bdbd69d63e21.jpg

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Now would be a good time to tear up the rulebook and start again.

The two party system and FPTP don't work anymore.
Labour and Conservatives aren't fit for the modern world, they're both stuck somewhere in a previous decade.

Sadly it won't happen, we're all too comfortable to overthrow them.

This

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
( corection)One of the largest govt petitions, not mentioned in media, only 9 Mp's turned up to debate.

Draw your own conclusions

#NoRef2
1909c05ade6635311842caacf55d3e07.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
To those calling for a second vote......imagine the worst kind of racist, bigoted leave voter.
You are essentially giving people like these license to argue that their opinion has been discarded by a so-called democratic process.
Except they probably will not reasonably argue their points, more likely they will use it as an excuse to initiate violence on your street.
People take general relative peace and safety for granted in this country but it’s not a given.

Just stop for a minute and consider the implication of what you’re suggesting.

I’d rather see disorder in the streets, than live in a country who made policy based on veiled threats from bigoted thugs.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Don't need foresight or wisdom to work out that your prediction was a steaming crock of dogshit

Well done you. Gold Star

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ok. I edited the name I called you off. Apologies for that. I just get so riled at people not checking misinformation just because it pings their Confirmation Bias.
Okidoki... fyi.. my posts are ordinarily well researched as a rule.. posted whilst on the go this morning.... Putin's Bot Master is normally reliable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
True.

I actually think that parliament will vote to rule out No Deal very soon as there is a very clear majority for this, it’s the first stage of agreeing what sort of Brexit the house will vote through.

However, if the people are to vote on what Brexit they’d prefer, having ‘No Deal’ off the table seems very undemocratic.

I would have thought that with No deal off of the table, we have no leverage over the EU to negotiate. I can't see EU ceding any ground at all, especially if No deal is ruled out. EU want us to remain, and their best chance of this is to "encourage" a second referendum. It feels like another referendum is almost inevitable now. What the question would be is anyone's guess, as is the outcome. Although i would have thought with 2 additional years worth of highly motivated youth voters remain vote would be boosted.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I would have thought that with No deal off of the table, we have no leverage over the EU to negotiate. I can't see EU ceding any ground at all, especially if No deal is ruled out. EU want us to remain, and their best chance of this is to "encourage" a second referendum. It feels like another referendum is almost inevitable now. What the question would be is anyone's guess, as is the outcome. Although i would have thought with 2 additional years worth of highly motivated youth voters remain vote would be boosted.

I doubt the outcome would be different. We would still be voting while under austerity measures. The vast majority of people in this country are struggling to make ends meet as it is under the Tories. They are not going to vote to stay in the EU when in their eyes the EU has been painted as having delivered them nothing. Add to the fact that this time they'll have a government supporting the deal* and an opposition led by Wishy Washy who have no idea whether they are in or out, and you've got a Leave vote.

*Interestingly, should there be a second referendum (which I don't think there will be), what would May campaign for? One assumes, if she has the nation's interests at heart and having seen all the long-term economic indicators she would revert to her old position and campaign to stay - or will she save the Tory party first?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

We have no leverage to negotiate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here