Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More than a million have used UK food banks in the past year

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Fair enough - good job you're not a politician then, because the solution for 913,000 single-use visitors would be radically different to that for 19,000 habitual users and if you can't see the difference then there's fat chance you could offer a reasonable solution.

But the discussion wasn't about whether there was a solution. It was about whether there was a problem. And there is a problem, whether there's 19,000 or 913,000.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Probably. Either that or you're a knob.

Probably a bit above your head, but Socrates once said:

"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

I wont be carrying on this debate with you.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
We have a local food bank. If you stand outside its not difficult to spot people loading up nice cars, or arriving in taxis, then phoning home on their iphones to report they have made the pick up.

But I suppose you will insist either my eyesight is fading or all those trimmings are borrowed for the occasion.

Are they meant to drag the food home on a sled?

Some people have smart phones... and? You can pick up an iphone cheap. It could be that before they couldn't afford food they signed up for what at the time was an affordable contract.

Why is it that people like you continually judge situations on a small sample, and worst of all on your interpretation of what that sample constitutes?

Oh it's your opinion? ... WOW

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

On a point of pedantry, no one has slandered you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are they meant to drag the food home on a sled?

Some people have smart phones... and? You can pick up an iphone cheap. It could be that before they couldn't afford food they signed up for what at the time was an affordable contract.

Why is it that people like you continually judge situations on a small sample, and worst of all on your interpretation of what that sample constitutes?

Maybe they went to the iPhone bank and the Mercedes bank before the food bank? Or maybe Uncle C is just a contrary twit.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
It's worth pointing out to those unaware, including government ministers as well as posters on here, that you can't just "turn up" at a food bank and "get free food". Only people genuinely in crisis are given vouchers by doctors, etc.

I'm sure government ministers and people who quote Socrates aren't as daft as they pretend to be.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Just as well.

You've mentioned scenarios which may happen in a few cases. But because they're the only ones you have claimed to see, you're using that as justification for vilifying those who need help.

It's a weak standpoint you're debating from.

I'm going to be more accepting of those with active experience of it - as posted earlier - whether from those who give or receive food parcels, rather than from someone who has pre-judged the whole thing from the outside.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Why is it then that HIS opinion seems to be less valid than yours? Why dont you, and the likes of [MENTION=24517]Silk[/MENTION] just focus on supporting your own position in this argument/debate, instead of concentrating solely on discrediting and abusing any individual who happens to offer a contra-opinion.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Maybe they went to the iPhone bank and the Mercedes bank before the food bank? Or maybe Uncle C is just a contrary twit.

Yet another one lacking the wit to have a discussion without insults

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Why is it then that HIS opinion seems to be less valid than yours? Why dont you, and the likes of [MENTION=24517]Silk[/MENTION] just focus on supporting your own position in this argument/debate, instead of concentrating solely on discrediting and abusing any individual who happens to offer a contra-opinion.

How can he have a contra-opinion IF I HAVEN'T STATED ONE?

Or are you saying that my opinion is the one that says "don't base your interpretation on an ill-informed subjective opinion"?

This might help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion

;-)

I try to be objective. Which is why I'm not about to judge people who use food banks based on a small sample.

However whenever you have a system/service that can be abused, there will always be a minority who abuse it. To base the value and typical usage of the system/service on the actions of that minority is misleading.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield

You'll note if you follow it ( assuming you can) that that is what I was doing.. Until someone chose to make a sarcastic reference to my IQ.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Just as well.

You've mentioned scenarios which may happen in a few cases. But because they're the only ones you have claimed to see, you're using that as justification for vilifying those who need help.

It's a weak standpoint you're debating from.

I'm going to be more accepting of those with active experience of it - as posted earlier - whether from those who give or receive food parcels, rather than from someone who has pre-judged the whole thing from the outside.

Please keep up with the debate rather than jump in with your own prejudices. Firstly I have never vilified anyone with a true need for food banks, and secondly I do donate weekly.

Cue an insult.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We have a local food bank. If you stand outside its not difficult to spot people loading up nice cars, or arriving in taxis, then phoning home on their iphones to report they have made the pick up.

But I suppose you will insist either my eyesight is fading or all those trimmings are borrowed for the occasion.

Given you can only claim food from a food bank after being assessed ( mainly by the job centre / DWP ) I'd suggest you don't know enough about the people using them to comment accurately.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Given you can only claim food from a food bank after being assessed ( mainly by the job centre / DWP ) I'd suggest you don't know enough about the people using them to comment accurately.

Are you saying there is no abuse of the food bank system, ever.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
You'll note if you follow it ( assuming you can) that that is what I was doing.. Until someone chose to make a sarcastic reference to my IQ.
You cant help yourself can you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here