Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Standing at Away games

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Primarily because there are fewer consequences to breaking the rules away, and fans that travel are generally more fanatical and probably prefer to stand. Also, ushers have a difficult enough time keeping away fans in line and away from home fans, their last concern is fans not taking their seats properly. Teams also won't have a wave of angry emails from their own customers about obstructed views, so they don't care to enforce it I'd imagine.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I find incredible that many of the answers are “because we don’t have a choice”. If that was the case, you’d be sat down!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I quite enjoy standing at away games, although it can disable me after a while with sciatica, but it does make for a better atmosphere generally.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The reason is that this country suffers from a lack of respect for rules. Whether its cyclists on pavements, litter louts, or whatever the first thought is this doesn't apply to me. Combine this with weak stewarding at the start of all seater stadia and you have the position of where we are today.
Fans have no problems with sitting at home games, but away from home even if they want to sit this is taken away from them by those that believe it is their godgiven right to stand, regardless of the impact on those that have issues with knees or backs, or children.

This could be quickly resolved if away tickets where sold with a seating plan where you clicked on the seat you wanted. The club then could draw a line halfway up the seating and suggest if you want to stand choose seats above this line and if you prefer to sit pick below this line. But what we get is just a random ticket, which may or may not be available to you when you arrive as people just ignore their ticket number. Also you then get 4 mates standing together across only 2 or 3 seats taking space away from others.

At least in the Championship outside of London games you could easily sit if you wanted to, as there were always empty seats to move into.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's pretty simple for those that want to sit. Just go down the front and use the first 10 or so rows - those that want to stand, go further back in the stand. It usually works out OK, although we're selling out every away game at the moment, and prob a few Amex JCLs that don't know the unwritten rules of away games and insist on sitting in their exact seat.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The reason is that this country suffers from a lack of respect for rules. Whether its cyclists on pavements, litter louts, or whatever the first thought is this doesn't apply to me. Combine this with weak stewarding at the start of all seater stadia and you have the position of where we are today.
Fans have no problems with sitting at home games, but away from home even if they want to sit this is taken away from them by those that believe it is their godgiven right to stand, regardless of the impact on those that have issues with knees or backs, or children.

This could be quickly resolved if away tickets where sold with a seating plan where you clicked on the seat you wanted. The club then could draw a line halfway up the seating and suggest if you want to stand choose seats above this line and if you prefer to sit pick below this line. But what we get is just a random ticket, which may or may not be available to you when you arrive as people just ignore their ticket number. Also you then get 4 mates standing together across only 2 or 3 seats taking space away from others.

At least in the Championship outside of London games you could easily sit if you wanted to, as there were always empty seats to move into.

Why would you respect rules that make no sense though? The removal of terraces came in largely as a result of Hillsborough lies. Yes, limiting numbers on terraces makes sense but removing them altogether?

It reminds me of the Alcohol vs Cannabis debate.

superseagulls

Feb 2, 2009
I took my lad to his first premiership away game yesterday. Stood on his seat for most the game so he could see the action. Didn't think anything of it till he asked me why everyone stands at away games. I didn't really have an answer other than "we always do".

Anyone help me out with a better answer?!?

How did your lad get a ticket???

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It's pretty simple for those that want to sit. Just go down the front and use the first 10 or so rows - those that want to stand, go further back in the stand. It usually works out OK, although we're selling out every away game at the moment, and prob a few Amex JCLs that don't know the unwritten rules of away games and insist on sitting in their exact seat.

As has been said, generally speaking the free-for-all planting yourself works in most grounds, but some where the quality of seat view varies considerably (QPR, Brentford et al) then persons tend to be slightly more erm, territorial. And rightly so.

Furthermore, 4 younger lads packed in to 3 spots on Saturday were asked to move, and obliged, by a Dad/young son combo at Swansea.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
As has been said, generally speaking the free-for-all planting yourself works in most grounds, but some where the quality of seat view varies considerably (QPR, Brentford et al) then persons tend to be slightly more erm, territorial. And rightly so.

Furthermore, 4 younger lads packed in to 3 spots on Saturday were asked to move, and obliged, by a Dad/,young son combo on Saturday.

I have noticed that since we have been in the Premier League, the stewards seem more tight on making you sit in your allocated seat.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The reason is that this country suffers from a lack of respect for rules..

So because I want to stand at the football means I also break other rules including littering? There isn't half a load of shit on here.

Yes there are those less able, and if you are, it is not difficult to make sure when you are buying online that your ticket says rows A-J or ask for it over the phone. This is exactly what I do, just the other way around so I don't have to deal with someone asking me to sit and spoiling my enjoyment of the game (works both ways eh?).

If you are unable to do that, there are plenty who disregard their assigned seat and make their way up the back every game including sellouts, so there is generally always space up the front somewhere.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But people in the front row also stand....

It's also a problem that you can't choose your place when you buy a ticket. If I could get a front row ticket every time I would as for the last five years I am unable to stand without being in pain and suffering for a few days afterwards. I love away games and don't want to give them up, but please consider us oldies, when you are standing. Most times I've been able to ask someone at the front if they would swap with me, if my ticket comes out further back.

I back safe standing all the way. Let those who want to sit, sit and have standing for the rest. Why this can't be sorted out is beyond me. Come on government and clubs, you know it makes sense.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's also a problem that you can't choose your place when you buy a ticket. If I could get a front row ticket every time I would as for the last five years I am unable to stand without being in pain and suffering for a few days afterwards. I love away games and don't want to give them up, but please consider us oldies, when you are standing. Most times I've been able to ask someone at the front if they would swap with me, if my ticket comes out further back.

I back safe standing all the way. Let those who want to sit, sit and have standing for the rest. Why this can't be sorted out is beyond me. Come on government and clubs, you know it makes sense.

Precisely this. It's all well saying people should sit in their allocated seat, but no good if you have no choice over it.

By the way we always seem to manage to get seats at the front, so will check with you re swapping in future!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So because I want to stand at the football means I also break other rules including littering? There isn't half a load of shit on here.

There is, a lot of it coming from people who read something but fail to understand what is written and decide to reach a conclusion which fits their narrative but one that hasn't been previously stated.

But do let me know where I have stated that because you choose to stand at all seater football grounds you also break other rules.

BroadwayGull

Jan 31, 2014
Worthing
I took my lad to his first premiership away game yesterday. Stood on his seat for most the game so he could see the action. Didn't think anything of it till he asked me why everyone stands at away games. I didn't really have an answer other than "we always do".

Anyone help me out with a better answer?!?

I'd like to know how your son built up enough loyalty points to attend the Swansea game :bounce:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I am not interested in standing at away games for simple reason not tall . Had too many experiences of driving for hours and having poor viewing. Am in minority so no problem. Over years have registered with several clubs including CP and have had no problem getting tickets albeit in home end. Not ideal but see game. Not able to do this now with established Prem clubs because have to pay to become a member

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
There is, a lot of it coming from people who read something but fail to understand what is written and decide to reach a conclusion which fits their narrative but one that hasn't been previously stated.

But do let me know where I have stated that because you choose to stand at all seater football grounds you also break other rules.

You likened not sitting down at a football match as a similar disrespecting of rules to chucking litter and cycling on pavements (I was actually curious as to what else you were going to conjure up but you stopped there).

I doubt you will hear many convincing cases of "I enjoy throwing litter on the pavement". No, you didn't suggest breaking one 'rule' means you break others but your comparison is so utterly perplexing that it warranted me jumping the gun a little.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
If we now get 3000 who are happy to stand why was the response to safe standing question according to Barber far lower then he expected

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here