Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AK off, Murphy on. WTF?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My worry isn't Murphy coming on (I get that he was the safe and sensible option), it's that I worry CH doesn't seem to want to give Izquierdo games in any situation. Does he not trust him?

Well he's bought him on so far when we've been losing (1-2 down) and drawing ( 0-0), he's played a full game in the League Cup and he's been on the bench in every game since he was cleared to play..
And March and Knockaert at least in the last 4 games have been on top form and not droppable

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Both March and Knockaert are worth considerably more than £13.5 million. We need to recognise we are in the Premier League now and £13.5 million is not a lot for a player.

This is a very good point.

Knocky was worth £10m (offers by all accounts) the season before this mad transfer window. So if we had out him u for sale, you'd not be surprised if he went for £15-18m.

Solly is an England U21 who Graham Souness wanted to adopt. No guarantee he'd take to the Prem as well as he has. By end of the season he could be a £10m+ player too.

Delighted to see them doing so well. Fully expect Issy to be a game changer when we're behind in a game (like we tried at Watford) but would have been staggered if he'd come on when we were defending a lead.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I thought it was getting a little heated,and with Knocky already on a yellow,thought he should come off.Don't think my nerves would have taken it, us down to 10 and Shelvey on the pitch.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
It was a very sensible decision. Murphy was always going to be the hard-working, solid, devensive-minded replacement, the last ten minutes of that game were not suitable for Izquierdo.

Having said that, one would assume out highest-ever signing will have to get a start at some point, wonder when that might be and how the hell can we fit him in when Knockaert and March are playing so well?

Hit the nail on the head ,when they are playing so well you wouldn't drop them regardless who is on the bench and Izquierdo and co will or should realise that .

D

Deleted member 2719

And they cleared a Solly shot off the line and Gross had a shot blocked on the line by Knocky. Slightly selective to see that as the defining "non-goal".

You seem slight selective about solly and Gross shots as those shots happened before we started trying to close the game out, so we were fortunate that we got away with it, this time.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
It was a very sensible decision. Murphy was always going to be the hard-working, solid, devensive-minded replacement, the last ten minutes of that game were not suitable for Izquierdo.

Having said that, one would assume out highest-ever signing will have to get a start at some point, wonder when that might be and how the hell can we fit him in when Knockaert and March are playing so well?

Hit the nail on the head ,when they are playing so well you wouldn't drop them regardless who is on the bench and Izquierdo and co will or should realise that

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Which is, I guess, the heart of my question. He's our record signing, by some distance, and it's hard to see under what circumstances Chris will play him. Hopefully, it's something temporary (lack of match fitness? Taking time to adjust to the way CH wants him to play?), rather than something more fundamental (Ooops, he's not as good as we thought he was?). It's unusual for a club record signing to be sat on the bench...

The cost of a player is not the only consideration of their worth or place.

I always go bakc to the direct comparison of when we acquired Murray (first time around) and Forster. The former cost £300,000; the latter £75,000. Does this therefore make Murray four times better? Of course not.

Similarly, Knockaert cost £2m-ish (insert your own figure), Isskwiardo cost £13.5m.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would have liked to see Izquierdo come on and take the game to Newcastle as the best form if defence is attack but we won so CH knows best, long may it continue

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bruno played well but also looked tired, i just think Chris picks he subs and minutes prior to the game unless something drastic has happened.

Yes, though the dive headed clearance by n the last few minutes mints was vital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes, though the dive headed clearance by n the last few minutes mints was vital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed a typical Bruno bit of defending, as was Dunky spinning on his arse after blocking a shot then clearing it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
All good pros know it's a squad game and there will be competition for places with players having traits that better compliment specific situations.
The Manager is paid [handsomely] to ensure the right players are doing what is required for the best outcome for the team.

Isqueirdo will get his chance when Solly or Knocky get injured / suspended. Skalak now looks to be surplus ....

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
AGREED 100%

But he was nackered and a couple of times he was so tired he neglected some of the defensive duties. Knocky was great today

I though AK was OK and nothing more. If anything I think he's trying too hard at the moment. There's also the matter of Premier League defenders being much better than he was used to last season and knowing what he's going to do. Lost count of the number of times he tried to work the ball on to his left foot for a shot yesterday but found himself crowded out. He's playing well but something just ain't clicking at the moment...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here