Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another warning from Paul Barber

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not all knocked off stuff is crap.

We were in kusadasi in turkey and they have " genuine fakes " shops.

I bought a " Hugo boss" polo shirt for €20 which I then saw exactly the same design at T5 in Heathrow for £120!!! It has been washed to death and it still fits, no shrinking or going out of shape. The last time I was bought an albion home shirt it was the commemoration shirt when we had the first game at the Amex...three washes and it shrunk and the collar started to cone away from the shirt! Suffice it to say I have never bought another one.

I have a fake Barcelona shirt bought 20 years ago in menorca and it is still fine!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not read the whole thread but I'm genuinely interested in how Barber would tackle this if he ran Man U or Liverpool for example where all routes to the ground are lined with stalls selling t shirts, scarves, badges etc. None of which have been licensed by the club.

If we stay in the PL and and gain greater recognition, there is no way he'll be able to stop this type of thing. Given his time at Tottenham I should be surprised by this - but there's just something about the way Barber words things that I find irritating. He always seems to make it sound like we as fans are the guilty party

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stand the fella personally, talks down to people never a good trait and it's all me me me. No striker arrived and his first thought is to have a dig at fans on social media :shrug: Get rid and sooner the better.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I can't stand the fella personally, talks down to people never a good trait and it's all me me me. No striker arrived and his first thought is to have a dig at fans on social media :shrug: Get rid and sooner the better.
Paul Barber communicates well. I am not surprised that he had a dig at people on Twitter. The level of vitriol and abuse aimed at the club was ridiculous. We can do without fair weather fans like that to be honest. I think the club messed up in the transfer window but were also very unlucky. Life is full of mistakes and prone need to realise there are more important things than football and get perspective.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Paul Barber communicates well. I am not surprised that he had a dig at people on Twitter. The level of vitriol and abuse aimed at the club was ridiculous. We can do without fair weather fans like that to be honest. I think the club messed up in the transfer window but were also very unlucky. Life is full of mistakes and prone need to realise there are more important things than football and get perspective.

Well said.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Too lazy to read the whole thread ............ but at two car boot sales, racecourse and Shoreham flyover, a lady was selling the new Albion home shirt. They looked genuine with Nike tags and packaging, couldn't fault them. I showed interest in the XL it didn't look large enough. £25. She also had other Premier League tops. Did find it a bit odd.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If you like being spoken to like a child then yes he communicates well. I can't quite make out what you are saying, agree with everything the club does or your a fair weathered fan?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Agree with all of this, other than your comment that Barber communicates well.

I find his diatribes patronising and irritating.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

If you like being spoken to like a child then yes he communicates well. I can't quite make out what you are saying, agree with everything the club does or your a fair weathered fan?

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that" Bill Shankly. :shrug:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Surely the albion are making what a standard retailer makes on a shirt though (about £15 a shirt?) If not why bother opening the club shop. Deal is done we have our money. Nike's problem if they want to sell shirts?

Not if the deal involves having a retail shop open to sell the shirts... I doubt Nike would consider giving the albion £x million if they weren't going to sell the shirts ???

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
You make interesting points that I hadn't thought of but why would it matter to Barber how many shirts we sold if all the money is going to Nike.
I just assumed Nike paid millions to sponsor the mighty Albion's shirts to raise their profile :smile:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Your posts are emotive and full of reaction. You seem to misread an awful lot of things and resort to an extreme language. And you speak of being spoken to like a child. Ironic.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that" Bill Shankly. :shrug:
Haha, yes football sometimes ends up being way way too important to me. Ask my family.😱

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Might have.

I was tempted to leave it without the 'just kidding', but thought better of it. Might've caused more trouble than it was worth.

Ooh, I've just remembered a time long ago when you used to post 'tweaked' news stories with frequent hilarity :)

Yes that was quite fun, before NSC turned into a grumpier version of the Argus comments page

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ooh, I've just remembered a time long ago when you used to post 'tweaked' news stories with frequent hilarity :)

Yes that was quite fun, before NSC turned into a grumpier version of the Argus comments page
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] was the master of of the tweak.

Onto the subject in hand though, I actually do feel its fairly piss-poor for us to be all out of shirts after an initial tranche of sales. They must have SOME idea how many shirts they're going to sell, being as this is by my reckoning our 4th new home shirt since we've been at the Amex. And they'd have known the uptake on them will undoubtedly have been boosted by us being in the PL. Knocky was mincing around on stage in the current shirt last May. Yet here we are at the arse-end of September at least another 6 weeks away (who knows for sure) from getting another batch from Nike.

I dunno if that's the clubs fault, or NIke's fault, or a combination of the two, but it is a POOR effort. The fact that many impatient fans are turning to the snide market is hardly surprising. BHA / Nike can only blame themselves for that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought we were banned from cutting and pasting articles from other websites?
Why is one rule for some and another for others?

I'd guess because this wasn't written by someone looking to attract clicks for their site (such as an independently run site doing articles or match reports), or something behind a paywall. Its just a news article from the official site. Fair game in my book.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] was the master of of the tweak.

Onto the subject in hand though, I actually do feel its fairly piss-poor for us to be all out of shirts after an initial tranche of sales. They must have SOME idea how many shirts they're going to sell, being as this is by my reckoning our 4th new home shirt since we've been at the Amex. And they'd have known the uptake on them will undoubtedly have been boosted by us being in the PL. Knocky was mincing around on stage in the current shirt last May. Yet here we are at the arse-end of September at least another 6 weeks away (who knows for sure) from getting another batch from Nike.

I dunno if that's the clubs fault, or NIke's fault, or a combination of the two, but it is a POOR effort. The fact that many impatient fans are turning to the snide market is hardly surprising. BHA / Nike can only blame themselves for that.

Agree. We didn't pre-order, as:

1) With kids you don't know what sizes you'll actually need.
2) We like to go along to the Amex and let the kids choose and try on their shirts and buy there and then.

There wasn't an opportunity for us to do that between kit launch and our holiday and, whilst I accept that is entirely of our choosing, I certainly wouldn't have expected to have to wait from late August until October (or whenever more will arrive) to next have an opportunity to buy.

As these kits only last for one season, there will undoubtedly be some who decide not to bother by the time there is stock available, as well as those who buy knock-offs.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not all knocked off stuff is crap.

We were in kusadasi in turkey and they have " genuine fakes " shops.

I have a fake Barcelona shirt bought 20 years ago in menorca and it is still fine!

I understand that Turkey has no intellectual property controls meaning that copies and fakes can be produced at a high quality without fear of prosecution (you might be stopped entering UK if you tried to bring in a lot).

does the barce shirt still fit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here