Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has there ever been a more overrated Brighton defender than Lewis Dunk?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The actual answer to the thread title, is DAN HARDING.

Gifted a couple of U21 caps ahead of Leighton Baines, purely because Peter Taylor was the manager, fooling everyone into believing he was a real prospect. When actually he was a commitment-shy little weakling, who is scared of the ball.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
One of the great mysteries of life is how Dan Harding continues to play professional football.

Equally mysterious is our decision to sell Cook. Anyone who was at the Southampton game in he played in for the Albion could see he was the real deal.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Mark Lawrenson. No positional sense, slow, couldn't time a tackle.

Steve Foster. Always dodged a challenge. Dreadful header of the ball.

Danny Cullip. Limp as a lettuce leaf. No passion.

All of these are about as accurate as the OP's comment.

Completely agree.

Although if you replaced Mark Lawrensen for Gordon Greer, and Danny Cullip for Gordon Greer, and then Steve Foster for Gordon Greer, you'd be bang on the money!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thought he had another excellent game yesterday...

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Good grief. I know football is all about opinions, but in MY opinion, the OP is talking bollocks. "Has there ever been ... " ... are you serious? Did you really mean "ever"? Dan Harding is one who springs to mind without even going very far back. Dunk is a good young prospect. In my opinion.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Massively over rated. But fans are quick to divert all defensive issues to GG.

Dunk drifts off far too often in games, and has cost us a lot of points. I really would not mind seeing him go in the summer and getting 2 new central defenders for next season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can recall watching Gary Stevens as a young centre back and he was the real deal - a far more consistent player than Dunk. However, Dunk has real natural ability and I'd like to see him play a few games alongside Hughes with Walton behind him, just to see if the change will do him good.

Playing alongside an out of form captain and dodgy keeper isn't helping him in a season when he was expected to finish it looking like a Prem quality defender. He looks far from that at the moment.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Dunk is not the problem with our defence.

Bennett is terrible defensively, the amount of goals which have come from the left hand side of the pitch is shocking, Greer too is woeful and he is lucky he is the captain otherwise he would be dropped.

Halford needs to come in at centre back for me when he is fit again and I hate halford, but he was much better in the few games I have seen him play in than Greer has been lately.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Ashley Neal. End of thread.

el punal

IMO, yesterday the main problem with the defence- the pairing on the right hand side of it and the stupid giving away of freekicks. Oh' and the total lack of concentration of the goalie for the 1st goal.

That pretty much sums up why we lost on Saturday. My immediate comment after scoring our first goal on Saturday was, with a couple of minutes to half-time, do not concede. What do we do, concede a needless free kick just outside the penalty area and then fail to clear the ball - 1-1.

I would be interested to know how many times we have conceded a goal shortly after scoring ourselves.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I would be interested to know how many times we have conceded a goal shortly after scoring ourselves.

Me too. It is a mental thing as well now.

Happened so often this season.

I've gone with us conceding within 5 mins of scoring.

It has happened 4 times this season -

Cardiff @home Bruno 20th min, Kenwyne Jones 21st min.
Norwich @Carrow Road Bruno 33rd min, Johnny Howson 38th min.
Ipswich @home Sam Baldock 18th min, Daryl Murphy 22nd min.
Forest @home Lewis Dunk 42nd min, Danny Collins 44th min.

You could also count Rotherham game at the Amex as well if you are being strict on timings. We scored 45th min, they scored 48th min, but there was a half time break in between.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Just because he's tall and quick, doesn't mean he's any good. Joel Lynch was touted as the next best thing for the same reason, and he's playing at the same level. Actually, Joel Lynch is probably the answer to this thread title.

Time some of our supporters realised that Lewis Dunk isn't all that. In fact, I'd go as saying he's a liability. Watch his positioning, it's DREADFUL. his height and pace are quite literally his only attributes.

Greer needs to play alongside someone who can actually defend, him and Halford for the rest of the season please.

I accept this goes against the grain because the sheep prefer Greer, but all they see is that he's not as tall or quick as Dunk, which means they ignore the fact that he's a miles better defender all round.

Fantastic Fishing young Man.

10 out of 10 for effort.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here