Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Beer Guide 2015

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
No Lord Nelson or Battle of Trafalgar then?

I reckon the NCS Pub World Cup is a better barometer of Brighton pubs.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Change of ownership? Is it not a Harvey's pub?

Still a Harveys pub, but with a different landlord. The previous one retired a while ago.

Had a pint of South Downs Harvest Ale in there last night and it went down quite nicely.

Jul 15, 2011
Lewwwwwwes
Still a Harveys pub, but with a different landlord. The previous one retired a while ago.

Had a pint of South Downs Harvest Ale in there last night and it went down quite nicely.

The key point is the change of landlord. Even regular GBG pubs will be removed if there is a change of landlord.

The Black Horse in Lewes should or will be in next year even though the new landlord, Declan, currently has 8 beers on (4 non Greene King mostly local but not Harveys) and a real cider. Can get bus to Amex almost directly outside as well.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Ah ok. Ta. I've not been in there for a while I was fearing they might have sold it (Harvey's that is)

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Never really understood the good beer guide criteria in that some city pubs get in purely on choice of ales, other country pubs purely on...well, the
pub. The end result is about half the pubs in the beer guide overlap with the pub guide

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
I find the beer in the Basketmaker's lousy. How can it be included?

For old times sake. For when Fullers saved us from the other dross. Things have moved on now though and I probably wouldn't venture into a Fullers pub unless it was an emergency.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Shall I be the first to ask why the East Upper bar, Amex stadium, isn't in? Nice Harveys. WAIT plastic cups probably eliminates them.
I was a regular in the Black Horse, Lewes up until a year back when the landlord changed (again). They may have 10 or more ales but not all are drinkable.
My favourite tipple is Turners from Ringmer but seldom find it.

Jul 15, 2011
Lewwwwwwes
Shall I be the first to ask why the East Upper bar, Amex stadium, isn't in? Nice Harveys. WAIT plastic cups probably eliminates them.
I was a regular in the Black Horse, Lewes up until a year back when the landlord changed (again). They may have 10 or more ales but not all are drinkable.
My favourite tipple is Turners from Ringmer but seldom find it.

I agree that the beer in the Black Horse at times was not good but it is excellent now. Dec used to run the Elly with Huew and knows how to look after his beer. They always seem to have at least one Burning Sky beer from Firle which is superb. If unsure ask for a taster before you buy.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I don't know if she has gone yet ,i saw it in The last edition of The London Drinker.

Popped my head in the door at lunch time today. No obvious signs that it is under Fullers rule. They had Wild River on but that was on the on Fullers influence I could see. Had 3 Dark Star beers and 2 Sam Brookes on. Still had the mental boxes of cider on the back and the sign still says it's a free house.

So if they are in there now they are sticking to their word. How long that will last who knows?!? Will be a real shame if they turn it into one of their Pie and Pint clones.

That said it was the quietest I've ever seen it at a lunch time....you could get to the bar and everything!!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Popped my head in the door at lunch time today. No obvious signs that it is under Fullers rule. They had Wild River on but that was on the on Fullers influence I could see. Had 3 Dark Star beers and 2 Sam Brookes on. Still had the mental boxes of cider on the back and the sign still says it's a free house.

So if they are in there now they are sticking to their word. How long that will last who knows?!? Will be a real shame if they turn it into one of their Pie and Pint clones.

That said it was the quietest I've ever seen it at a lunch time....you could get to the bar and everything!!

Fullers too over the Head of Steam at Euston Station a while ago, which was a free house before. Its still more or less the same, some Fullers beers and a few guest ales.

Though of course there is competition now from the Euston Tap and the Bree Louise.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
How have you got a copy in the first question, thought it wasn't out until Mid Sep?

Secondly, what's in there from the Arundel area please?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here