Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Just over 20 miles in 3 hours dead and it was freezing out there
Hanging out of my arse for the last two miles as I lost a couple of energy gels somewhere along the run
Nothing now until Tuesday evenings 14 miler

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck at Worthing Half this morning. [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. Any others? Too cold for spectating. You'll have to cheer yourselves.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Worthing half today. Despite the cold a good turn out. Lots of runners and spectators made it a fun morning. I didn't have the best start as had to part company with last nights post Burton curry ( very dodgy curry house top of Preston st) at the multi storey car park toilets. Didn't get to the start on time and went off pretty much in last place so chip time will be very different to start time. Really good flat fast course. Next year I'm taking a hat. Just under 1:34 strava time

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Good luck at Worthing Half this morning. [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. Any others? Too cold for spectating. You'll have to cheer yourselves.

Wise move. Not a morning for standing around. By the look on some spectators faces they wished they hadn't

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Worthing half today. Despite the cold a good turn out. Lots of runners and spectators made it a fun morning. I didn't have the best start as had to part company with last nights post Burton curry ( very dodgy curry house top of Preston st) at the multi storey car park toilets. Didn't get to the start on time and went off pretty much in last place so chip time will be very different to start time. Really good flat fast course. Next year I'm taking a hat. Just under 1:34 strava time

Sounds like the kind of challenge Big Nuts likes. Looks like you won but I can't believe you would dump a curry in a hat next year.
As to the running good time considering and easy for you to beat next time.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Clocked 1:31:05 unofficial time helped hugely by a 8:50 offload which looked like Bungle's finger and made me considerably lighter for start time.

Was bang on 45:00 at half way but hamstrings were already tightening so I knew realistically sub 1:30 was beyond me. Pleased with the time and if conditions are favourable in two weeks I could get close to breaking 90 minutes.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Clocked 1:31:05 unofficial time helped hugely by a 8:50 offload which looked like Bungle's finger and made me considerably lighter for start time.

Was bang on 45:00 at half way but hamstrings were already tightening so I knew realistically sub 1:30 was beyond me. Pleased with the time and if conditions are favourable in two weeks I could get close to breaking 90 minutes.

I didn't think you'd be generous enough to let me beat you again. Nice offload clearly helped. Great time, looking good for sub 1:30

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

What a delightful image!

Well done both.

Skiiing for me this week then a week until Brighton half.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Well done both – pretty cold, can't have been nice along the seafront. A guy I know rocked up at his first half and clocked 1:28 – don't you just hate people like that?

Having not run all week, I had to settle with seven muddy miles up the Adur riverbank and PP parkrun. Nice to have a quieter week for a change.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Some cracking times for the Worthing half marathon on here.

It was my first half marathon (in fact, my first time past 10.5 miles) and whilst my time is not patch on some of the guys here, I'm dead proud of it, so here it is: 1:49:59 :clap:

... well done to all on such a chilly morning.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

It was my first half marathon (in fact, my first time past 10.5 miles) and whilst my time is not patch on some of the guys here, I'm dead proud of it, so here it is: 1:49:59 :clap:

That's a great time for a first half marathon. Well done

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

You should be proud indeed. Good running. If I can get that on my first half marathon (in two weeks), I'll be well chuffed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Astounding effort for a first half!

I did the Mini Mile with my 6-y-o. Same story as last year: despite my warnings he went off as fast as he could. In trying to keep up with him I set a PR on a Strava segment (my excuse: I don't run there very often) before he ran out of puff and I managed to get him to slow it down. He managed to keep running throughout and had some in the tank for a sprint finish. Proud of the little chap because, as above, it was blooming cold.

I took to the downs today for 5 and a half or so, up to Cissbury Ring, a loop around the top and then back down again. Every time I was going uphill I also seemed to be running into a hurricane force wind but that aside it's a stunning day out there. The trails are relatively dry too, which was a nice surprise. I always forget how much I love the trails until I'm on the trails again. Stupid, that.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Sunday I did my first (and probably only!) 20 mile training run in just under 3 1/2 hours. Did it with my marathon training buddy and have to say it made the time whizz by! The fist 10 miles were gone in a flash, along the Worth Way and then Forest Way and then back. Usually hit the wall somewhere between 15 or 18 but this time did not. Miles 15,16 and 18 all under 10 minutes. Had an energy gel after 12 miles and all felt pretty good. Acually feel ready for the Limassol marathon which is 4 weeks on Sunday, via the Brighton HM on the 26th Feb and Eastbourne HM 5th March. Set a target of 4 hours 20 minutes (depending on the weather - its a 7am start in case its too hot!!) but that will pretty much push me to my limit I think, Strava cheekily recorded the run as 19.9 miles, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr @ 10.16 per mile so happy with that as a training run. Just leaves the final extra 6 miles on the day (19th March). Not sure how far to run this Sunday, might be in Brighton so may go for a long one along the HM route again or may do the bit along to Shoreham Harbour as that is the horrible bit of the Brighton Marathon. As football tonight was in the gym at 6am this morning for a few km cycle and then a 5k run on the dreadmill. I was amazed to find the gym pretty busy at that grim hour.

https://www.strava.com/activities/863748528

19.9mi
3:25:14
10:16/mi

Elevation
674ft
Calories
Elapsed Time
3:29:51

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Sunday I did my first (and probably only!) 20 mile training run in just under 3 1/2 hours. Did it with my marathon training buddy and have to say it made the time whizz by! The fist 10 miles were gone in a flash, along the Worth Way and then Forest Way and then back. Usually hit the wall somewhere between 15 or 18 but this time did not. Miles 15,16 and 18 all under 10 minutes. Had an energy gel after 12 miles and all felt pretty good. Acually feel ready for the Limassol marathon which is 4 weeks on Sunday, via the Brighton HM on the 26th Feb and Eastbourne HM 5th March. Set a target of 4 hours 20 minutes (depending on the weather - its a 7am start in case its too hot!!) but that will pretty much push me to my limit I think, Strava cheekily recorded the run as 19.9 miles, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr @ 10.16 per mile so happy with that as a training run. Just leaves the final extra 6 miles on the day (19th March). Not sure how far to run this Sunday, might be in Brighton so may go for a long one along the HM route again or may do the bit along to Shoreham Harbour as that is the horrible bit of the Brighton Marathon. As football tonight was in the gym at 6am this morning for a few km cycle and then a 5k run on the dreadmill. I was amazed to find the gym pretty busy at that grim hour.

https://www.strava.com/activities/863748528

19.9mi
3:25:14
10:16/mi

Elevation
674ft
Calories
Elapsed Time
3:29:51

That is an encouraging run and I can feel your excitement leaping out of the post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here