Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wagner vs Monk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm kinda with the german fella on this , seen quite a few german games
I don't recall managers running across the pitch at international games as if it's ok. Probably because it's not ok.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
We all know we would be thoroughly pissed off if Eddie howe or Ian Holloway did this against us.

We also know how we would have felt if Andrea orlandi had been body checked by the forest keeper on his way back after celebrating at forest when ulloa scored to get us in the play offs

Looking at this objectively they should both get a fine and a game touchline ban for this

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm #TeamWagner. It's against Dirty Leeds and their odious owners and fans, so normal rules of engagement do not apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We all know we would be thoroughly pissed off if Eddie howe or Ian Holloway did this against us.

We also know how we would have felt if Andrea orlandi had been body checked by the forest keeper on his way back after celebrating at forest when ulloa scored to get us in the play offs

Looking at this objectively they should both get a fine and a game touchline ban for this

I'm #TeamWagner. It's against Dirty Leeds and their odious owners and fans, so normal rules of engagement do not apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said both. I suggest a compromise is 3 points deducted each, and let's not talk about it again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well having considered all the facts and having seen it for myself I can only think that both clubs should be deducted TEN points. We cannot condone behaviour like this from managers and players.

Totally agree :jester:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Manager shows passion when his team score a last minute winner a vital derby? Yeah how wrong is that? Maybe he went slightly ott. However, Wagner has cut his teeth in Bundesliga. Unlike the sanitised corporate happy clappy culture of modern English football plc, the German football culture can be far more passionate and raw, both on and off the field. That's the way it is. Wagner himself admitted it was the norm he was used to. You can fairly argue it wouldn't be acceptable for every goal. However, given the circumstances, I can understand why he got a little excited.

Besides it was against Leeds so no case to answer. Monk however should be banned for the rest of the season with Leeds deducted 12 points.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I think Monk comes out of this looking like a bolshy knob. What has respect got to do with it? Wagner got carried away and ran to celebrate with his players, so what? He shouldn't have done it - but its just showing a bit of passion and if he's broken any rules, he'd get a fine or whatever. For Monk to barge him on the way back just makes him look like a stupid playground bully. No need for that - he's the one without the class.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think Monk comes out of this looking like a bolshy knob. What has respect got to do with it? Wagner got carried away and ran to celebrate with his players, so what? He shouldn't have done it - but its just showing a bit of passion and if he's broken any rules, he'd get a fine or whatever. For Monk to barge him on the way back just makes him look like a stupid playground bully. No need for that - he's the one without the class.

This. Without Monk's needless aggresssion, the debate (if any necessary) would be purely about Wagner's pitch invasion.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

Absolutely. Similar nonsense from Mourinho in Conte's direction earlier on in the season. Sour grapes. Maybe the fact that Wagner is a foreigner is enough to cloud some peoples judgement on such an incident. 'Coming over here, acting like that!'. Would love to hear Brian Laudrup's opinion on Monk. I'd guess he'd question his self-proclaimed standards of respect and class.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I love the fact that Wagner lost his shit after the goal.

Monk, before he complained about a lack of class, displayed a distinct lack of class by deliberately walking in front of Wagner as he jogged back. It was the sort of thing we used to do in the School corridor.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don't Conte and Klopp go mad when there team scores....quite like the passion displayed its part of the entertainment...but going on to the pitch by some distance ..nah...leave that to the players, just imagine Big Sam joining the bundle...oh hang on CP keep losing anyway so that's not gonna happen

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is the sort of incident that adds spice to the Championship, if you're watching that as a neutral it's hilarious. I doubt whether too many Huddersfield fans have got a problem with Wagner's antics!

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
When Barry Fry charges down the touchline to celebrate he's a cheeky, charismatic chappie who can do no wrong - when Wagner does it he's a classless kraut. Monk was no doubt miffed but stepping into his path and shoulder charging him with a scowl is pathetic. I thought Monk was a better bloke tbh.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When Barry Fry charges down the touchline to celebrate he's a cheeky, charismatic chappie who can do no wrong - when Wagner does it he's a classless kraut. Monk was no doubt miffed but stepping into his path and shoulder charging him with a scowl is pathetic. I thought Monk was a better bloke tbh.

Wagner DIDN'T 'charge down the touchline' though. He ran ON TO THE PITCH, and up the full length of it, to join the bundle. Massive difference. 'Entering the field of play' alone is an offence.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I love the fact that Wagner lost his shit after the goal.

Monk, before he complained about a lack of class, displayed a distinct lack of class by deliberately walking in front of Wagner as he jogged back. It was the sort of thing we used to do in the School corridor.

We have different opinions on lack of class then.

This kind of thing should be saved only for a last gasp cup/promotion winner to be able to turn a blind eye to it. Not just because they won a Yorkshire derby.

I know Mourinho and Klopp have done it and now it's the thing to do apparently. We would absolutely love this kind of passion shown by management, but only once something has actually been achieved, rather than notching up three points in February.

It's also setting himself up for a comedown, which hopefully we will provide.

Don't Conte and Klopp go mad when there team scores....quite like the passion displayed its part of the entertainment...but going on to the pitch by some distance ..nah...leave that to the players, just imagine Big Sam joining the bundle...oh hang on CP keep losing anyway so that's not gonna happen

If Big Sam did it and jumped on his players he would injure most of them - thinking about it I couldn't see him having the puff to run from the half way line to the end of the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here