Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol City fan in peace...with a possible player for you?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You looked at the table?
You're 6 points clear with a far superior goal difference....it's over :)

Bristol City won't want to lose 6-0 just in case Blackburn beat Villa 1-0 Brentford 3-0.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
BC won't be pushovers and may want to make a point, their form isn't that bad at the moment and it depends if we turn up.
Hudds with their current form have blown any chance of autos over Newcastle, in my opinion, they can't buy a win.
It really is dependant on our players attitude, are they bothered about going up as champions, didn't look that way against Norwich, though the goals were a bit surreal.
If we are looking at players from the Championship to take with us, we couldn't go far wrong with Abrahams, Mooey and Cairney.
These would be great additions to the squad, keep Tomori and dump Apkom.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel it will be a big ask for Abrahams to step up and become a regular Prem scorer next season when he is still so young, and with question marks over our other 3 strikers' ability to deliver in the Prem I feel we need someone more experienced.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
To answer your questions in order:

- Tammy. Always been good with as you say pace and power playing off the last defender. A video of all his goals this season would not be that exciting, lots from a couple of yards. Just has that instinct for when to make a run and take a chance. For me, first half of the season was weak up front on his own. Mind you, this consisted of forty yard punts up to him. This is the area of his game that has improved, his hold up play and bringing others in to the game. Need to remind myself he is just turned 19. Not there yet I would say, and still needs to get even stronger physically to make it in the top league, but been able to see him improve almost game by game. Not the sort so far who beats five players for a goal, and for a very high percentage of his goals touches the ball just once. Ought to add he is also just a lovely lovely lad with his head screwed on.

- LJ. Still some of our fans boycotting the club until he is gone so they say. Very very lucky still to be here after our worst run ever of eight straight league defeats. A fair few days logged on fully expecting to see (and hoping!) he was gone. However our rich owner backed him bravely, it is all about results, and we have 16 points from the last eight. Was seen as a real tinkerman. No experience in this league. Hopefully he is learning! If he gets off to a slow start next season, or makes a pile more signings that do not work, fully expect the knives to be out again for him. He has no real good will capital to fall back on to.

- I think our honest expectations were midtable this season. Sold Kodjia for £11m or so, but Tammy obviously has done well, and for us the manager was backed. We spent 3m on Tomlin, a couple on Magnussen (Icelandic Full back), and seven figure sums on two players now on loan to Bury and a Swedish side. Spent about £12m or so all told, on players that are not even making the squad. That was the real frustration amougst fans that LJ could not spot a player worth buying. Ten mil or so on players not in the first eleven.

The last few matches we seem to have gone back to basics, with the core of our promotion side, with only a few new ones in the mix, and are doing better. Central defence Wright and Flint. Do what a solid lower Championship central pairing do. Outside them Bryan and Little. The latter much improved since returning. Most likely our weakest positions, as they are both quite attack minded but not natural defenders. Smith and Paterson in midfield been developing a nice partnership,supported by Pack and Brownhill. I like Pack as a solid pro, but Brownhill for me blows hot and cold. Tomlin on the bench, not injured but as you say, just unfit at this level.

Up front, Tammy obviously, and Taylor, new from Bristol Rovers! Made a difference. Step up for him, but actually reminds me a bit of Sam, in that he works hard up front and makes things happen. Jury still out as still very early days, but hopefully can make the step up.

Our issue, like so many in this league is consistency. We can play lovely football for one half, and then look like a Sunday pub team for the next half. We look weakest when our full backs are ran at on the flanks, we can look very good if we are allowed to pass the ball around at pace looking for the opening. Spine of the side is Flint, Smith, Paterson and Tammy.

I fully expect your midfield to be to strong for us, but it is football, on the day you never know!

Great post, post's / debate's like this are the reason why we happily allow other team's fans on the main section of NSC - good win against Barnsley yesterday, coming back from being behind twice and then grabbing the winner shows determination, you will be safe :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To answer your questions in order:

- Tammy. Always been good with as you say pace and power playing off the last defender. A video of all his goals this season would not be that exciting, lots from a couple of yards. Just has that instinct for when to make a run and take a chance. For me, first half of the season was weak up front on his own. Mind you, this consisted of forty yard punts up to him. This is the area of his game that has improved, his hold up play and bringing others in to the game. Need to remind myself he is just turned 19. Not there yet I would say, and still needs to get even stronger physically to make it in the top league, but been able to see him improve almost game by game. Not the sort so far who beats five players for a goal, and for a very high percentage of his goals touches the ball just once. Ought to add he is also just a lovely lovely lad with his head screwed on.

- LJ. Still some of our fans boycotting the club until he is gone so they say. Very very lucky still to be here after our worst run ever of eight straight league defeats. A fair few days logged on fully expecting to see (and hoping!) he was gone. However our rich owner backed him bravely, it is all about results, and we have 16 points from the last eight. Was seen as a real tinkerman. No experience in this league. Hopefully he is learning! If he gets off to a slow start next season, or makes a pile more signings that do not work, fully expect the knives to be out again for him. He has no real good will capital to fall back on to.

- I think our honest expectations were midtable this season. Sold Kodjia for £11m or so, but Tammy obviously has done well, and for us the manager was backed. We spent 3m on Tomlin, a couple on Magnussen (Icelandic Full back), and seven figure sums on two players now on loan to Bury and a Swedish side. Spent about £12m or so all told, on players that are not even making the squad. That was the real frustration amougst fans that LJ could not spot a player worth buying. Ten mil or so on players not in the first eleven.

The last few matches we seem to have gone back to basics, with the core of our promotion side, with only a few new ones in the mix, and are doing better. Central defence Wright and Flint. Do what a solid lower Championship central pairing do. Outside them Bryan and Little. The latter much improved since returning. Most likely our weakest positions, as they are both quite attack minded but not natural defenders. Smith and Paterson in midfield been developing a nice partnership,supported by Pack and Brownhill. I like Pack as a solid pro, but Brownhill for me blows hot and cold. Tomlin on the bench, not injured but as you say, just unfit at this level.

Up front, Tammy obviously, and Taylor, new from Bristol Rovers! Made a difference. Step up for him, but actually reminds me a bit of Sam, in that he works hard up front and makes things happen. Jury still out as still very early days, but hopefully can make the step up.

Our issue, like so many in this league is consistency. We can play lovely football for one half, and then look like a Sunday pub team for the next half. We look weakest when our full backs are ran at on the flanks, we can look very good if we are allowed to pass the ball around at pace looking for the opening. Spine of the side is Flint, Smith, Paterson and Tammy.

I fully expect your midfield to be to strong for us, but it is football, on the day you never know!

Excellent. Thanks for this. I didn't realise you'd spent that much money, which is more than we spent, and that'll be key over the summer for you and Johnson's future.
In terms of your full-backs, I'd worry, because if we start with March and Knockaert on Saturday (both of whom were extremely poor against Norwich), they're quite fantastic at running at and exposing full-backs.

Well, my annual trip to your boards as we are up next for you.

Must start with heartfelt congratulations on your promotion. Takes real spirit to bounce back after the disappointment last year so well. Clearly the best team in the league, and fancy you will be more Bournemouth than Middlesborough next season.

Next week is going to be a funny one. By the time we kick off, you could be Champions, we could be safe. Hope those are both true, and we can just enjoy a good game with no nerves. I suppose par is you winning by a couple or so in this one. Not really a case of us needing a point, as much as avoiding a repeat of the 5-0 we had recently at Preston! Mind you, that was sandwiched in a run of eight games were we have picked up 16 points, so decent end of season form.

We can play really well and complete crap in the same game, including today, so goodness knows what you will see from us. Hopefully for us a better effort than at our place. We went 2-0 at Newcastle for instance and were lucky in the end to get a point. Would happily take a one goal defeat right now if offered, if we are not safe.

Anyhow, you may have to take a risk or two with some players next year. You could do worse in my view than seeing if Chelsea will loan you Tammy Abraham for a season. Been a real pleasure watching him grow and mature this year. Only just turned 19, and sadly to continue to develop needs better than us next year, assuming he does not make the Chelsea squad just yet. Been around a few years myself, and only player I have seen in that time where you looked at him in the same way and thought 'he is going to go far' was a 21 year old Andy Cole at Ashton Gate. Never quite know with youngsters, but if continues to develop will be a real star.

Anyhow, we will pay homage to your achievements I am sure next week. Hope for better, but expect to lose by a couple. Hopefully a party atmosphere for us all. See you shortly!

Important question,Whats happened to SHED MAN?:moo:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You looked at the table?
......and now Birmingham need to win two out of two to overtake Brizzle City - four points won't do it as their GD is even worse than Blackburn Fried Chickens'. Whatever other results occur, even a glut of 10-0s all over the place, if Brizzle avoid defeat on the last day, they will stay up.

Bristolcityfan

Mar 5, 2013
You looked at the table?

To a rational neutral fan, we are 'safe' in the same way you were 'up' some weeks ago. Sky were offering us at 250/1 to go down this morning, and with Birmingham just losing, have taken even that down.

Let me take you however in to the dark recesses of imagination, conspiracy and plot that currently infests the mind of every Bristol City fan. Birmingham win their last two, they go above us almost certainly. They play us last game at our place, and of course the likelihood is we lose against you. Their other game is at home to Huddersfield. They have been pretty crap recently, and frankly may be resting a pile for the play offs if they are secure there but cannot catch Newcastle.

Then on to Blackburn. They are at home to Villa next. Is their a Villa fan who deep in their soul would be heart broken at losing that, if it puts Birmingham in trouble? Last game, they are away at Brentford. They really should not win there, but again maybe a few new players get tried by the home side, who knows? Would not want it to come down to that. As for the much fabled +9 GD, well yes, but clearly if it got to that we have lost 2 and Blackburn won 2, so at least 4 of it has gone. If your lot are up for it, unshackled, no nerves at home, who knows! A defeat by three, four or more is not out of the question. Remember a similiar situation last home match a couple of seasons ago where we were up as Champions already and won 8-2.

For us, it falls under the 'unlikely but not impossible' scenario still. Suffice is to say, by the time we kick off, if Blackburn and Birmingham have both won, I feel we would bite your hand off for even a narrow defeat.

Shedman? Well remembered, was given a free season ticket when the stand was completed.

Best league finish? Well excluding our second place in 1906/07, it was our four year stay in the top flight in the late 70's. Best finish, 1977/78 at 13th. Watched the latter of those, followed by 3 relegations in a row, bottom of the 4th, within days of going out of business. In truth we are a team that for most of my life has bounced around between this and the league below, with the odd play off final to brighten things up. Darn you.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Sam has been instrumental in what we've achieved this year. We're much more of a goal threat when he plays, he runs defences ragged and he's added goals to his game this year compared to last. He could probably have his own goal of the season montage - scored a number of absolute crackers.

Thanks for posting. Hopefully a decent game next week, us as champs and you safe.

Definitely not convinced that Sam will be anywhere near good enough for Prem, a standard championship player imo

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Definitely not convinced that Sam will be anywhere near good enough for Prem, a standard championship player imo
That'll be alright then. A year ago pretty near everyone on NSC was convinced he was nowhere near good enough for the Championship; a League One player at best.........................

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here