Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EFL Cup - Colchester (H)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Having just read the Argus and BHA, very, very confident in this squad. The kids look seriously exciting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I watched the highlights (bad fan), the Amex looked empty.

Similar to the last time we played an early round at home (2 seasons ago I think ?). Only E&W lower were open so the ends were empty. No real atmosphere but actually quite nice to watch the second string have a run out.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I wish I had gone, but I expect I would still be on my way home.

If I knew Lualua would be playing the striker, I would like to see this. I think his skills is most suitable for this as I have said before lots of times. This to me would be an answer to our second striker deficiency.

Not sure that he was playing that role tonight. Manu through the middle, Baldock just behind, and Lua Lua was out left was how I saw it.. This was where his best moments came from.. yes he certainly cut in to central areas having received the ball out wide to score, provide assist etc. I think he is a wide player.. doesn't have the technical ability for me to make central areas work for him.. he was great in the second half tonight, and the team grew once he realized he could beat the full-back with ease. As far as Manu goes, I thought he played well, and he has some serious pace when he gets going.. really pleased to see him score (Thought it was a harder finish than it actually looked), really pleased to see him so desperate to score, and really pleased to see the other players reaction to him when he did score. CH also took time to encourage him personally from the touchline..
Like others, really enjoyed the evening, a bit surreal with no atmosphere but some quality goals and great to see some of the young'uns.. the left back excellent..

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Pleasantly surprised by that last night. A very good second half performance after one presumes Hughton really told the team to assert themselves at halftime. A purposeful zippy effort with contributions from across the team. Kaz thoroughly deserved his MotM award with an intelligent display, I suspect a decent pass rather than a cross may become his biggest weapon this season. A positive performance from Murphy who ran Kaz close for the post match plaudits. Glad that Baldock has opened his account early with a classy finish and that we finally got to see Elvis score. If you add all that forward positivity to a good run out for the fledgling back four, a very good night's work indeed.

I am aware that the level of opposition was not great, but it was reassuring that we made our quality count and imposed ourselves on the game. We ran Colchester into the ground and they were a broken team by the end, very happy with that performance indeed.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Let's hope the train strike is postponed as we need a good crowd behind the Albion on Friday well done all those that turned up last night. Very enjoyable game.

E

Pleasantly surprised by that last night. A very good second half performance after one presumes Hughton really told the team to assert themselves at halftime. A purposeful zippy effort with contributions from across the team. Kaz thoroughly deserved his MotM award with an intelligent display, I suspect a decent pass rather than a cross may become his biggest weapon this season. A positive performance from Murphy who ran Kaz close for the post match plaudits. Glad that Baldock has opened his account early with a classy finish and that we finally got to see Elvis score. If you add all that forward positivity to a good run out for the fledgling back four, a very good night's work indeed.

I am aware that the level of opposition was not great, but it was reassuring that we made our quality count and imposed ourselves on the game. We ran Colchester into the ground and they were a broken team by the end, very happy with that performance indeed.

Absolutely agree.. Colchester had also made lots of changes, and they were very poor. You never know if that's because we never gave them a chance to build on anything or whether they were just unable to assert themselves. That said, I have seen us labour against many lower league sides in this competition before, so I was pleasantly surprised..

E

Interested to see that Derby put out a pretty strong side.. but edged it..appreciate a few changes from Saturday.. wonder if they are struggling to adapt to Pearson's patterns of play.. I do hope so
Derby County: Carson, Christie, Keogh (C), Pearce, Forsyth; Blackman (Ince, 71), Bryson, Hughes (Hendrick, 82), Russell; Martin (Butterfield, 71), Bent
Substitutes not used: Grant, Shackell, Johnson, Lowe

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/...grimsby-town-3236216.aspx#VmsJivpVtvXGqyZx.99

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My overall impression was that at halftime I would have bet on a 0-0 and penalties but much improved 2nd half. Murphy, Baldock and Lua Lua suddenly woke up. Ince had his best game for us so perhaps CB is his position. In fact all of the back four looked competant. Manu looked most likely to score and then did both Holla and Norwood did good jobs showing their ability. Do not think any will progress beyond the bench in tge immediate future but good go have on the bench.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Absolutely agree.. Colchester had also made lots of changes, and they were very poor. You never know if that's because we never gave them a chance to build on anything or whether they were just unable to assert themselves. That said, I have seen us labour against many lower league sides in this competition before, so I was pleasantly surprised..
Yep, I thought our well-versed and disciplined 4-4-2 formation, along with superior fitness levels provided the platform to really drive home the gulf in quality as the match wore on. Colchester were being opened up at will during the last 20 minutes.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
We looked totally in control against the worst team I have seen at the AMEX.

I thought White looked composed at Centre Half however, Ince struggled with balls over the top and certainaly shouldnt been seen as a long term solution. I would however like to see Dunk and White partnared together in future rounds.

Hunt and the Canadian Left back both looked comfortable. However both lacked im a delivery into the box.

Holla and Norwood were fully in control of the Midfield. IF Stephans stays Norwood will be challanging him for that spot. However seemed a little shy infron of goal.

Kaz and Murphy looked sharp and both could easily step in Friday if needed. Murphys first goal was from a brillinant pass by Kaz followed by a great finish and his second was the goal of the night for me.

Baldock and Manu both did well, Baldock took his goal well and will continue to play his role this season. However dont believe the hype about Manu, yes he played well well however this was against a very poor team. But take the positives. Hopefully we stay in the competetion and him and other fringe players get chance to shine on a competitive level.

A very good synopsis of what I saw too. I was concerned that the Canadian guy (Ayegubke ???) couldn't cross the ball - and three or four times sent it sailing hopelessly behind - once a really bad cross almost turned into a nightmare for their keeper. I guess they can coach that out of him. But he made an eye-catching tackle which led to a very well constructed second goal - so there I was impressed.
It has to be said it should have seven - Manu with care should have had three - and Lua Lua probably two. Colchester Reserves - or whatever they were - were shocking.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My overall impression was that at halftime I would have bet on a 0-0 and penalties but much improved 2nd half. Murphy, Baldock and Lua Lua suddenly woke up. Ince had his best game for us so perhaps CB is his position. In fact all of the back four looked competant. Manu looked most likely to score and then did both Holla and Norwood did good jobs showing their ability. Do not think any will progress beyond the bench in tge immediate future but good go have on the bench.

Your impression came from listening to the radio - well done you:moo:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

How can you say that was Ince's best game for us. On 2 or 3 occasions the ball was lobbed over ince's head and he badly struggled on the turn. We wont be seeing Ince playing centre back anytime soon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How can you say that was Ince's best game for us. On 2 or 3 occasions the ball was lobbed over ince's head and he badly struggled on the turn. We wont be seeing Ince playing centre back anytime soon.

I was not suggesting he was perfect but I thought that he generally had a good game somethinb he hasnt done since Oscar moved him into midfield. He also won most of the headers in a stopper type roll again something he never did in midfield.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
I thought ince looked uncomfortable at best,on the other hand his centre half partner (Hall) looked assured on the ball,comfortable in possession and an all round natural good centre half,along with Norwood in the first half I thought he was my man of the match. Granted he wasn't tested that much,by a wonderful debut.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
I thought ince looked uncomfortable at best,on the other hand his centre half partner (Hall) looked assured on the ball,comfortable in possession and an all round natural good centre half,along with Norwood in the first half I thought he was my man of the match. Granted he wasn't tested that much,by a wonderful debut.
Strange as Hall was not playing!

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here