Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Prior - retired!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm not reading KP's autobiog but I don't need to read it to know KP is a bigger dick.

Wasn't my point, and I'd agree he probably is one, but if a quarter of what he says is true, it's a toss up as to who's the bigger. What sort of egomaniac refers to himself in the third person and using his nickname, and leads the bullying of the juniors.

I wouldn't bother with KPs book, it's not a good read

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Pretty certain it's becoming more and more apparent that KP is just a prat.

Even Flintoff at Luke Wrights testimonial dinner said as much. Words along the lines of "just when you think you're beginning to like him and he's a good bloke, he does something to make you think he's a bit of a prick".

Prior used a different word!
Though BOTH highlighted his undeniable talent.

As we've discussed before though, Matt hardly came across in a shining light at that dinner. While Freddie was trying to entertain, Matt got incredibly serious about earnings, percentages, etc. I thought it all got a bit uncomfortable to the extent Fred said 'do you think theres been enough time that you should let it go Matt?' to try to lighten the mood a bit.

There is no doubt some serious stuff outside of just KP was going on inside that England dressing room, and to some extent is taking time to remove. Perhaps they are finally sorting themselves out, but while KP is undoubtedly a disruptive idiot, he wasn't the only one within that dressing room.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sad news but not unexpected. A great player for Sussex and England, and with Ben Brown and Joss Buttler doing so well in his place then probably the right decision.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What is Ben Brown doing well at?

2nd in runs scored, 2nd in batting average only a shade behind Machan. Brown is worth his place in the side as a batman alone.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As we've discussed before though, Matt hardly came across in a shining light at that dinner. While Freddie was trying to entertain, Matt got incredibly serious about earnings, percentages, etc. I thought it all got a bit uncomfortable to the extent Fred said 'do you think theres been enough time that you should let it go Matt?' to try to lighten the mood a bit.

There is no doubt some serious stuff outside of just KP was going on inside that England dressing room, and to some extent is taking time to remove. Perhaps they are finally sorting themselves out, but while KP is undoubtedly a disruptive idiot, he wasn't the only one within that dressing room.

Though perhaps that was Prior's opportunity (albeit an inappropriate forum) to give an insight from his perspective, which all the time he harboured hopes of a comeback he wasn't able to do in the press.

EDIT - though you're probably right he should have stopped at ****!

Not sure I agree about the disruptive element, as it seemed everyone else pulled together when we were winning, even KP seemed reintegrated, well until Australia and then it went well and truly tits up with all parties.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Sad news but not unexpected. A great player for Sussex and England, and with Ben Brown and Joss Buttler doing so well in his place then probably the right decision.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a great player. That has to be reserved for the likes of Warne, Tendulkar, Sobers, Bradman and Richards. He was a good player who was ultimately found out and struggled thereafter. Early in his career, bowlers tended to give him a bit of width and when he could free up his arms, he scored lots of runs square or just behind point.
But as usually happens in cricket, the good bowlers find your weakness and Prior didn't like short of a length, hostile stuff, around the rib-cage. He couldn't play it and the opposition knew he was a gimme wicket at short-leg or caught hooking upwards. Eventually, his bottle went and the Aussies had a field day against him. It was sad to see him struggle and give it away so often. He had lost the fight and in the end just looked chicken. The worst bit was that he wouldn't even fight his way out of trouble. He just kept giving his wicket away.
All the big talk at the end was just bravado. He'd lost it as a player, he knew it, the oppo's knew it and the end was near. As it was, injury has finally finished him off and I wish him well in his next career.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't go so far as to call him a great player. That has to be reserved for the likes of Warne, Tendulkar, Sobers, Bradman and Richards. He was a good player who was ultimately found out and struggled thereafter. Early in his career, bowlers tended to give him a bit of width and when he could free up his arms, he scored lots of runs square or just behind point.
But as usually happens in cricket, the good bowlers find your weakness and Prior didn't like short of a length, hostile stuff, around the rib-cage. He couldn't play it and the opposition knew he was a gimme wicket at short-leg or caught hooking upwards. Eventually, his bottle went and the Aussies had a field day against him. It was sad to see him struggle and give it away so often. He had lost the fight and in the end just looked chicken. The worst bit was that he wouldn't even fight his way out of trouble. He just kept giving his wicket away.
All the big talk at the end was just bravado. He'd lost it as a player, he knew it, the oppo's knew it and the end was near. As it was, injury has finally finished him off and I wish him well in his next career.

Or he was not fit and should not have gone on that tour and had his achilles sorted over that winter.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] did say a great player 'for' Sussex and England, I didn't take that as him saying he was a great player par se. You'd have to agree he has been great for England. A cricketing great - no, I'll agree with you there, but a sportsman who made the absolute best out of his talent I thought.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I'm not going to pretend he was a world class player but in terms of England great wicketkeeper batsmen in 138 years of test cricket he's only been bettered by Alec Stewart and Alan Knott.

As for eventually getting found out, you're entitled to your opinion but he did a damn good job of hiding his weaknesses in his first 70-odd tests, indeed in May 2013 he was named England Player of the Year. Thereafter he aggravated his Achilles injury and was not the same player. I think you're wrong to question his bottle - trying to face one of the fastest bowlers in the world when you can't move your feet properly is never easy.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
[MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] did say a great player 'for' Sussex and England, I didn't take that as him saying he was a great player par se. You'd have to agree he has been great for England. A cricketing great - no, I'll agree with you there, but a sportsman who made the absolute best out of his talent I thought.

Wasn't concentrating but did I just hear Sky say, third highest all-time test batting average for a wicket-keeper, which is no mean feat.

Didn't read the above post, clearly having a nightmare....... apologies.....

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wasn't concentrating but did I just hear Sky say, third highest all-time test batting average for a wicket-keeper, which is no mean feat.

Didn't read the above post, clearly having a nightmare....... apologies.....

Thought this was interesting......and an average of 40 is pretty decent for a batsman, let alone a keeper.

He leaves the game with a Test batting average of 40.18, the highest of any England wicketkeeper to claim more than 100 dismissals and the fourth best of all-time behind only Kumar Sangakkara, Andy Flower and Adam Gilchrist

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not going to pretend he was a world class player but in terms of England great wicketkeeper batsmen in 138 years of test cricket he's only been bettered by Alec Stewart and Alan Knott.

(cough) Les Ames (cough). Higher batting average that Stewart and Knott and only a fraction below Prior, in an era of uncovered pitches and less protection for batsmen. Only keeper to score 100 100s too

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
(cough) Les Ames (cough). Higher batting average that Stewart and Knott and only a fraction below Prior, in an era of uncovered pitches and less protection for batsmen. Only keeper to score 100 100s too

Both keepers averaged c 52 runs per test played, same average of a shade over 40 but Prior reached 50 on 35 occasions to Ames 15 and took more than 3 dismissals per test to Ames 2 per test. Both great England wicketkeeper batsmen.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No surprise, but even so, it's sad to see the best English wicket keeper / batsman ever go out in such a way.

Have Sky Sports phoned him yet?!

Prior was a poor keeper compared to the likes of Knott and Russell. He may have been worth another 20 runs a Test, but their standard was in a far higher league- even after Prior had improved his glove work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here