Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raphael Dwamena RIP

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Remember when Man Utd pulled out of the deal to sign Ruud Van Nistelrooy? PSV were in complete disagreement about the knee injury Man Utd had detected, so they filmed and broadcast his next training session with them. His knee erupts and he's lying on the ground screaming. It could have gone the other way, he could have banged in the goals and made United look stupid but their concern was still justified.
I don't think Utd would have looked stupid even if that had have happened, just as we won't if Dwamena is ok. The medical advice (on both occasions) was that there was a risk, and that's enough to not spend a fortune.

Let's hope we go back for him when he is given the all clear/or fixed like Man Utd returned for Van Nistelrooy.
I'm not sure Dwamena will want to play in the Championship.

larus

I don't think Utd would have looked stupid even if that had have happened, just as we won't if Dwamena is ok. The medical advice (on both occasions) was that there was a risk, and that's enough to not spend a fortune.

I'm not sure Dwamena will want to play in the Championship.

C'mon Trig - let's have some positivity. (BTW, that doesn't mean you saying you're positive we'll be relegated :lol: ).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
C'mon Trig - let's have some positivity. (BTW, that doesn't mean you saying you're positive we'll be relegated :lol: ).
I'm positive we'll ... oh.

I'm sorry, I'm all out of positivity. I would support the team if we were bottom of the 4th, so nothing changes there. Whoever puts on the shirt, gets my support. I'm just bereft of hope, that's all.

larus

I'm positive we'll ... oh.

I'm sorry, I'm all out of positivity. I would support the team if we were bottom of the 4th, so nothing changes there. Whoever puts on the shirt, gets my support. I'm just bereft of hope, that's all.

We have a very good defence and I'm optimistic the midfielders will improve over the next couple of months. We have good quality wide players and Hemed/Murray are good enough to put chances away. It's been a tough start (Man City/Leicester), but I do think we have enough to survive. And, I'm fairly sure we'll be very focussed on strikers over the next 4 months :lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We have a very good defence and I'm optimistic the midfielders will improve over the next couple of months. We have good quality wide players and Hemed/Murray are good enough to put chances away. It's been a tough start (Man City/Leicester), but I do think we have enough to survive.
Obviously we all hope you're right. But which 3 teams are worse than us? I'm struggling to think of one (ok, Palace at the moment, but they'll turn it around).
And, I'm fairly sure we'll be very focussed on strikers over the next 4 months :lol:
As Tony says, January is the worst time to try and buy a striker.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Plus, everyone will know that the club will be desperate, so we'll probably end up paying more than we would have during this window.
And by then, we'll be odds on to get relegated, which will be a tough sell.

6a00d83452654869e200e55282a8928834-800wi-jpeg.9475

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Pulled himself out of the Ghana squad for this weekends games to have further tests / second opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Really a sad thread on the basis that RD may have a potentially serious health problem so I hope that he will find any potential problem which cannot be overcome !

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Plus, everyone will know that the club will be desperate, so we'll probably end up paying more than we would have during this window.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk
The irony is that the club appear to have thought that transfer fees and wage demands would drop near the end of the window. But as time runs out, and people know you are desperate, the opposite happens. The January window will be an extension of this [emoji21]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really a sad thread on the basis that RD may have a potentially serious health problem so I hope that he will find any potential problem which cannot be overcome !

RD hasn't seemed that sad about his potentially serious health problem since finding out about it in January.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Not really a problem for us as Fans though.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The irony is that the club appear to have thought that transfer fees and wage demands would drop near the end of the window. But as time runs out, and people know you are desperate, the opposite happens. The January window will be an extension of this [emoji21]

Maybe that depends on the player though. For some, possibly the lure of Premier League football would reduce their demands. Our targets were very high calibre though. If they don't think it'll be their only chance of a big money transfer, then I imagine it's difficult to convince them a relegation threatened club is the best career move. For Janssen, for instance, it would pretty much amount to an admission he'd failed to make it at Spurs - so not a decision he'd rush into. Especially as someone desperate will probably gamble on him in Jan for higher wages.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Maybe that depends on the player though. For some, possibly the lure of Premier League football would reduce their demands. Our targets were very high calibre though. If they don't think it'll be their only chance of a big money transfer, then I imagine it's difficult to convince them a relegation threatened club is the best career move. For Janssen, for instance, it would pretty much amount to an admission he'd failed to make it at Spurs - so not a decision he'd rush into. Especially as someone desperate will probably gamble on him in Jan for higher wages.
I hope you're right.

I was pleased we didn't get Janssen, as 2 goals in 24 PL games suggests he is not all that. Probably the next Bendtner.

Most of the players we have gone for appear to be playing in the weaker European leagues, and would therefore be a gamble anyway. So maybe an 'up and coming' striker is a more realistic target in January.

I'm not sure about the other new signings yet - think they will need time to get used to our very clear, style of play.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I hope you're right.

I was pleased we didn't get Janssen, as 2 goals in 24 PL games suggests he is not all that. Probably the next Bendtner.

Most of the players we have gone for appear to be playing in the weaker European leagues, and would therefore be a gamble anyway. So maybe an 'up and coming' striker is a more realistic target in January.

I'm not sure about the other new signings yet - think they will need time to get used to our very clear, style of play.

I'll hazard a guess the reason the club went for targets 'playing in the weaker European leagues' is because it believed them to be better 'value' (cheaper).
Maybe they hoped those teams didn't know about the £120m windfall the club had just received :shrug:

I don't have a problem with that, TBH I was more excited by this potential signing than I ever was with Janssen.

In January the club faces exactly the same problem again, only in all likelihood they'll be coming at it from an even weaker position, which in turn will cost them even more money.

I'll wager a considerable sum of money there's a little voice in the back of the minds of at least 2 people sat at the top table saying 'shite why didn't we just buy players x, y or z, over the last 4 windows'.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'll hazard a guess the reason the club went for targets 'playing in the weaker European leagues' is because it believed them to be better 'value' (cheaper).
Maybe they hoped those teams didn't know about the £120m windfall the club had just received :shrug:

I'd assumed it's because those players will find even our relatively 'low' wages a vast improvement. The clubs still seemed to be holding out for ridiculous fees.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd assumed it's because those players will find even our relatively 'low' wages a vast improvement. The clubs still seemed to be holding out for ridiculous fees.

I genuinely don't understand the level of surprise at that, even more scary is the fact it's seeped down from the very top of the club.

The club publically received a cheque for £120m.
It's had offers of £8m for Hemed. :ohmy:
But is still surprised by clubs holding out for ridiculous fees.

Come on if that's genuinely the case it makes a mockery of the last 20 years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I genuinely don't understand the level of surprise at that, even more scary is the fact it's seeped down from the very top of the club.

The club publically received a cheque for £120m.
It's had offers of £8m for Hemed. :ohmy:
But is still surprised by clubs holding out for ridiculous fees.

Come on if that's genuinely the case it makes a mockery of the last 20 years.

Just be grateful that the club didn't accept the money for Hemed...that really would have put our striker business on a Fred Karno's Army level. It came close enough without that happening :smile:

scipio

Sep 3, 2017
Pulled himself out of the Ghana squad for this weekends games to have further tests / second opinion

For all of you who are interested what happened with Raphael Dwamena since he is back in Zürich.

The medical findings that were obtained last January could be confirmed during the new medical check. Raphael is back in training since August 31st.

Regarding the comments of the FC Zürich president when he labelled your management amateurish: he criticized the way of communication as amateurish and unprofessional - and not the decision of your medical staff. His main points were that Brighton first unilaterally announced the transfer and that FCZ was caught off-guard and more importantly that somebody of the club against the rules of medical secret shared that Raphael Dwamena supposedly has a heart issue.

Anyways, wish your team good luck in your first PL season!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
For all of you who are interested what happened with Raphael Dwamena since he is back in Zürich.

The medical findings that were obtained last January could be confirmed during the new medical check. Raphael is back in training since August 31st.

Regarding the comments of the FC Zürich president when he labelled your management amateurish: he criticized the way of communication as amateurish and unprofessional - and not the decision of your medical staff. His main points were that Brighton first unilaterally announced the transfer and that FCZ was caught off-guard and more importantly that somebody of the club against the rules of medical secret shared that Raphael Dwamena supposedly has a heart issue.

Anyways, wish your team good luck in your first PL season!

Appreciate your update. It seems miscommunication was a factor in this debacle, which in itself is unprofessional as your president says. Maybe both sides can learn from this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here