Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looking forward to Worthing. Like [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] I'll sit off the pace for 5 miles today. 7:15 miles to start with.
Have to be ready in the morning for a hard 2 weeks training plan.

10k full out will wait for the Phoenix.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
03:35:01. Not quite what I planned. I was doing fine until 25/30k and then blew up and struggled. I then decided to switch off the Garmin and try and enjoy it without worrying about my time. I’ll give a full race report shortly (and try and figure out what went wrong)

Still a great time, cracking stuff......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was hoping for a new PB at Worthing tomorrow (48.45 at BM10k) but looks a bit hot sadly.

Actually if the guy who runs the table could add that and my Brighton Half 2018 (1.55:48) please that would be great. Every little incentive helps.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mini GDC meet up by the baggage drop around 8.30

******* guy who runs the table? See you tomorrow. :lol::lol:

Don't upset knocky or he'll put you in an ambulance :lol:

This is what I love about long distances. Even quality runners like you can be affected by the conditions on the day. Although 3:35 isn’t what you were aiming for, it’s still a great time in 30 degrees.

What are people aiming for at Worthing tomorrow? My legs are still feeling heavy on the back of Edinburgh so my hope is just to beat my current 10k PB of 43:32. I haven’t run a 10k event since November so I think I’m capable of sub-41 now, but that sort of time is going to have to wait for the Eastbourne 10k next month.

Also, I did Moors Valley parkrun in Dorset this morning. A nice course through the forest mainly on a gravel trail. I finished in 20:35. Not my best, I wasn’t expecting it to be so that’s fine, but not too bad either. However, I noticed the person on the finish line had a BHAFC hat on. Was it anybody from here?

Anything sub-50. Ran 50:28 at BM10K but that was in good conditions. The extra training will likely be nullified by the extra heat and the fact I've been working away on site and therefore doing extra eating and drinking. Going to go with the 50 pacer and try to hang on at the end.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Worthing 10k was a good morning out in the lovely seaside weather and good to see a lot of faces from here. Personally my run was s**ty at 47:33. I got stuck on a 7:40 pace a good 30 seconds off pace and ran in the last mile at a paltry 7:15 pace. That was slower than intended race pace. Still good training exercise but not one to dwell upon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Worthing 10k was a good morning out in the lovely seaside weather and good to see a lot of faces from here. Personally my run was s**ty at 47:33. I got stuck on a 7:40 pace a good 30 seconds off pace and ran in the last mile at a paltry 7:15 pace. That was slower than intended race pace. Still good training exercise but not one to dwell upon.

I know the feeling l!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

You looked quite fresh - especially compared with the very many behind you. Lots of people looked to be struggling with the heat. Wonder how @bignuts got on. He was a few seconds in front of the 40 minute pacer after the turn but was looking a bit weary. Good to watch so many people running on such a lovely day. (Also saw quite a few motorists who were pissed off having been 'trapped' in the Sea Lane café carpark for 2 hours.)

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
My first Worthing 10km and I finished in 42:47 according to my watch.

I don’t often train in the heat and my splits for the second half showed I was fading badly at the end. Every KM felt like a mile.

Nice course though. I like that a large part of it is through banal residential streets.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
You looked quite fresh - especially compared with the very many behind you. Lots of people looked to be struggling with the heat. Wonder how @bignuts got on. He was a few seconds in front of the 40 minute pacer after the turn but was looking a bit weary. Good to watch so many people running on such a lovely day. (Also saw quite a few motorists who were pissed off having been 'trapped' in the Sea Lane café carpark for 2 hours.)

39:55 for me today. Pleased to edge under 40 minutes in tough conditions. Bring on the Weakest Link now!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My first Worthing 10km and I finished in 42:47 according to my watch.

I don’t often train in the heat and my splits for the second half showed I was fading badly at the end. Every KM felt like a mile.

Nice course though. I like that a large part of it is through banal residential streets.

Be thankful it wasn’t the Worthing 20 (miles). Banal doesn’t even come close. Good time though, well done !

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
"Nice course though. I like that a large part of it is through banal residential streets."[/QUOTE]

This is Worthing after all. For some reason your post reminded me of a classic Basil Fawlty rant (OK Torquay not Worthing):

Mrs Richards: When I pay for a view, I expect something more interesting than that.
Basil: But that is Torquay, madam.
Mrs Richards: Well it's not good enough.
Basil: Well may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...
Mrs Richards: Don't be silly. I expect to be able to see the sea.
Basil: You can see the sea! It's over there between the land and the sky!
Guest: I'd need a telescope to see that.
Basil: Well might I suggest you move to a hotel closer to the sea. Or preferably in it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
52.39 for me. I’ve now run this three years out of the last four and got 52 mins, 51 mins and now 52 again. Today was by far the worst, getting cramp and being so affected by the sun I didn’t recognise [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] at the end. That’s definitely my last ever Worthing. Brilliant event, well organised, but I simply can’t run tempo in the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
52.39 for me. I’ve now run this three years out of the last four and got 52 mins, 51 mins and now 52 again. Today was by far the worst, getting cramp and being so affected by the sun I didn’t recognise [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] at the end. That’s definitely my last ever Worthing. Brilliant event, well organised, but I simply can’t run tempo in the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done for finishing. Sounds horrific, although there are some that would pretend to be out of it just to avoid recognising @knocky
Guess you won't be doing much training in Bangalore!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I tend to agree. Ticked off for me. A killer distance that increases with age. I'm out too. Stick to the Evening Phoenix 10k in Hove and a few beers after.

Well done for finishing. Sounds horrific, although there are some that would pretend to be out of it just to avoid recognising @knocky
Guess you won't be doing much training in Bangalore!

As the ******* beats me in the Brighton Marathon I do seek my revenge at occasions like this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here