Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, bully for you. I've never been to your new ground, and given the degree of hatred and prejudice so many of your supporters have for anyone from the North in general and the Burnley area in particular, I think I know when I won't be welcome.

It’s true that we’re not big fans of racism, nor apologists for it. If that’s a bad thing, then perhaps don’t pop down. If you’re a nice regular bloke then you will be welcomed, couldn’t care less which bit of the country you’re from, find all that tribalism very childish and daft.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's hardly 'so many of our supporters' though is it. This is a message board which represents a very small percentage of our fan base as it is, and it's pretty much the same few posters who keep reiterating their supposed hatred for the North/Burnley area in particular. I'm pretty confident that 99% of our fan base has nothing against the north - many will have friends/family or some even live up there for a start

Yep, I am another one to add to the list with a northern half of the family, my wife being a Lancastrian. The north is quite different than the south culturally, but that is for the most part to be celebrated.

I spent most of my early years in Liverpool so have many friends in the North West. Jokes, even within a few miles, about other towns are just as rife up there as anywhere else, witness Stoke fans singing "sign on" at Anfield, Mancs singing about scousers eating rats etc.

Those things, whilst potentially hurtful to snowflakes, are still considered to be "acceptable" in football.

Racist language isn't, booing black players isn't.

This is true, having lived a long time in Liverpool, there is a lot of local jibing in terms of whether one is a 'real' scouser, you're a woolyback if you are from Skem, St Helens or Birkenhead. That's in spite of those from over the water, having the strongest scouse accents around.

And my in-laws are from Bolton/Wigan. There is no love lost between those towns and Blackburn/Burnley. I would imagine that this 'love' flows equally between the towns in the form of general and football rivalry. Perhaps it' is a closed shop and if one isn't from the area, one can't join in and take the pee?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Yep, I am another one to add to the list with a northern half of the family, my wife being a Lancastrian. The north is quite different than the south culturally, but that is for the most part to be celebrated.

This is true, having lived a long time in Liverpool, there is a lot of local jibing in terms of whether one is a 'real' scouser, you're a woolyback if you are from Skem, St Helens or Birkenhead. That's in spite of those from over the water, having the strongest scouse accents around.

And my in-laws are from Bolton/Wigan. There is no love lost between those towns and Blackburn/Burnley. I would imagine that this 'love' flows equally between the towns in the form of general and football rivalry. Perhaps it' is a closed shop and if one isn't from the area, one can't join in and take the pee?
Tis true. Birkenhead accents are far more scouse than scousers. They sound like gummy mouthed stevedores...yet up the Road in Oxton or West Kirby it's a very soft accent.

I can tell by ear whereabouts on Merseyside someone's from as I have a very good ear for accents. It's very nuanced.

I know for a fact that Scousers take the piss out of everyone, so do Mancs, so do Burnleyites...it's just the way it is.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, bully for you. I've never been to your new ground, and given the degree of hatred and prejudice so many of your supporters have for anyone from the North in general and the Burnley area in particular, I think I know when I won't be welcome.

Amazingly, our new ground was voted the best, in a very recent poll.
My inlaws live in Yorkshire, & I spent 3 decades living in the north, so no ignorance from me.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I've only just got around to reading your reply, sewn as it usually is with tired references to wetting the bed.

Try to enter into some sort of debate without trying to use labels designed to heighten the emotion of your argument.

Your argument falls because Bong was being booed for having the temerity to raise an allegation of racism. And allegation neither proved or disproved. The Burnley fans that were booing him, were doing so because they objected to him reporting a racist comment. It's the act of booing that adds to the plot - the plot is about our ability to deal with racism.

No my argument does not fall, you “believe” you know why Burnley fans were booing Bong, but in truth you don’t; supposition of motive is not unequivocal evidence.

That is not to defend Burnley fans either, they evidently did boo Bong, but that does not mean it was just because he made a complaint about JR.

Had the case about JR been proven, you would have a point, but as we know, it wasn’t.

There is the eternal merry-go-round of this case, there was no absolute conclusion to GB’s complaint..........all that is left are opinions. Most of which are partisan and disproportionate.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Tis true. Birkenhead accents are far more scouse than scousers. They sound like gummy mouthed stevedores...yet up the Road in Oxton or West Kirby it's a very soft accent.

I can tell by ear whereabouts on Merseyside someone's from as I have a very good ear for accents. It's very nuanced.

I know for a fact that Scousers take the piss out of everyone, so do Mancs, so do Burnleyites...it's just the way it is.

It's the same the other side of the Pennines. Leeds loiners accent is different from Barnsley, Hull, Shaffield etc.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

Not now you won't. We wouldn't have really cared before.

We do now.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

If that's your attitude why don't you also disappear from this board, especially if you think you are not welcome :bigwave:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
It's the same the other side of the Pennines. Leeds loiners accent is different from Barnsley, Hull, Shaffield etc.

I must admit that I can't spot the difference between most Yorkshire accents. The only clear ones are the Leeds and Sheffield examples you quote...the other towns are a sort of blur to me but I know that Yorkies can tell the difference between Halifax/Hull/Harrogate etc. with ease

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Well I’ve been out most of today and [MENTION=603]Deportivo Seagull[/MENTION] has pretty much covered everything I wanted to say. If you’re a Brighton fan you should be backing your player, unless, of course, there’s something bigger that’s stopping you doing so. Care to share with us what that is?

And, as a human being, if you can’t see that turning on a black man for calling out racism is, in itself, racist then frankly you don’t get it.

Homophobic abuse also belongs in the 70s. If other teams do it, it doesn’t make it right. It makes it a problem.

Well done for getting the word ‘no’ in though, I’ll take that as your acceptance of Burnley’s booing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t need to justify my loyalty to BHA to the likes of you, your comment that I should be “backing your player” is a significant part of the problem here.

Do I think Knockeart has been legitimately fouled every time he goes sprawling to the floor? No, sometimes is f*cking embarrassing. He’s not alone, I don’t just blindly and obediently back our players.

This case involves a serious complaint of racism against JR that has been unproven, I get the semantics, but on the facts this means JR has not been exposed as a racist.

Burnley fans booing Bong is distasteful, but it’s not de facto evidence of racism.

After all their conduct is much more likely to be a case of them “backing their player” as tenuous as it is that JR is a Burnley player.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I must admit that I can't spot the difference between most Yorkshire accents. The only clear ones are the Leeds and Sheffield examples you quote...the other towns are a sort of blur to me but I know that Yorkies can tell the difference between Halifax/Hull/Harrogate etc. with ease

It was only living there that taught me the difference, but then we have the same here. My mother was East Sussex, and my father from West Sussex, but there were differences in the way they spoke.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't get why people have vilified Bong for having the temerity to speak out for what he perceived was a racist comment. The way he has been vilified as such is exactly the sort of attitude that prevents women reporting sexual abuse, children reporting society paedophiles and all Jimmy Saville's victims not being believed.

Don't speak out or it will cause you trouble...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No my argument does not fall, you “believe” you know why Burnley fans were booing Bong, but in truth you don’t; supposition of motive is not unequivocal evidence.

That is not to defend Burnley fans either, they evidently did boo Bong, but that does not mean it was just because he made a complaint about JR.

Had the case about JR been proven, you would have a point, but as we know, it wasn’t.

There is the eternal merry-go-round of this case, there was no absolute conclusion to GB’s complaint..........all that is left are opinions. Most of which are partisan and disproportionate.

Very flimsy and lightweight argument from you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rool

Jul 10, 2003

It's just depressing to be honest reading the comments below that article. I can see Bong being hounded out of the country eventually as it appears he can expect this kind of treatment from away fans now who seem to think it's fair game as apparently he deserves it.
Maybe I'm just getting older as, prior to leaving the UK again, I was already feeling out of touch with the average football fan after experiences on the trains and buses and the 'bantz' that only seems to be acceptable in the world of football. I can't say I understand the loutish, gobby and abusive behaviour or the need for it from a significant proportion of football fans but that's the way it is and probably always will be.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's just depressing to be honest reading the comments below that article. I can see Bong being hounded out of the country eventually as it appears he can expect this kind of treatment from away fans now who seem to think it's fair game as apparently he deserves it.
Maybe I'm just getting older as, prior to leaving the UK again, I was already feeling out of touch with the average football fan after experiences on the trains and buses and the 'bantz' that only seems to be acceptable in the world of football. I can't say I understand the loutish, gobby and abusive behaviour or the need for it from a significant proportion of football fans but that's the way it is and probably always will be.

I agreeit makes very depressing reading, but the vast majority of football fans just like to enjoy the game, and give vent to frustrations at the referee etc. It is a very vocal minority who are loutish, gobby and abusive, because they tend to make themselves heard.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

‘No one likes us we really care’

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
So lets nail this down. Scholes, amongst other things, has said:

Bong's statement was:

"Mr Rodriguez’s actions during our game against West Bromwich Albion, followed by statements issued by him and on his behalf by his various PR and legal advisors, have resulted in my character being questioned and subsequently for a number of accusations to be directed at me. Please let me be clear: I know what I heard and I did not mishear. My conscience in raising the complaint is therefore entirely clear.

"This was my first such experience in more than three years in this country and I would never seek to bring a false charge against a fellow professional. Those who have accused me of doing that do not know me. Equally those who have expressed an opinion were not there on the pitch at the time and only Mr Rodriguez and I know exactly what was said and I stand by my original complaint.

I now wish to continue with my career, and won't be commenting further on this matter even if Mr Rodriguez chooses to issue any further statements."

That is Bong defending his position, which he is perfectly entitled to do following the Rodriguez statement, and (attempting) to draw a line under it - there is NO direct criticism of Rodriguez in that statement whatsoever.

I'm just shaking my head at this response from Burnley. It absolutely defies belief.

First highlight - Reiterating his stance that Rodriguez made a racist comment, a pretty direct criticism.
Second highlight - Rodriguez's statement which he was forced into making after Bong posted a tweet minutes after the tribunal's verdict was made public which also continued to state, unequivocally, that he did not mishear and Rodriguez made racists remarks, whilst also misrepresenting Rodriguez's apology as him accepting he made a racist remark. Had Bong not made this statement chances are JR would have maintained the respectful minimum comment that he had done throughout the whole process, unlike Bong who went on international TV to state Rodriguez was racist (whilst simultaneously contradicting his statement in immediate aftermath of the incident, as highlighted in the tribunal's report).

Next.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here