Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone here Mary Whitehouse?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I actually went to a meeting where she spoke. She spoke for about 15 minutes, fulminating about sex and violence in modern drama and invited questions from the floor.

One of the first questioners pointed out that Shakespeare's plays were full of sex and violence and asked her whether she was in favour of banning Shakespeare too. Her answer was that these were plays of literary merit so, of course, had no intention of banning them. It seemed to me even then (and I was about 14/15) a peculiarly subjective judgment and a dubious way to build a moral campaign.

She was a strange woman

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Given that nearly everything she opposed is considered mainstream or normal now, I think it is safe to say that, in the long-term she has had zero impact. Mind you, Cliff Richard is still around.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
She had little impact at the time if truth be told. The media rolled her out in large part so that her random moralisations could be used as a contrast to justify their scheduling. She was largely held to be a figure of fun and perhaps her saddest legacy is that she did so much to demonstrate the possibilities of becoming famous simply for being famous. Without her example Big Brother might never have been!
Oh the irony :facepalm:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would agree with [MENTION=6678]severnside gull[/MENTION] that her impact was minimal. She was an easy woman to mock, for all the reasons highlighted on this thread. It's not a cool position to take, the preachy squeaky clean line.

However, I think you have to give respect where it's due - some of her views were worth listening to. Whilst I'd laugh and rubbish her views on sex in the media, I still find myself sympathising with a lot of her views when it came to violence. I still sometimes think there is too much violence on the television these days, even if it is merely implied before the watershed. Even Coronation St (airing at 19:30) will have scenes of Tracy about to whack a woman over the head and kill her, or a mad man driving kids into a river.

And I do think that thanks to her and the rest of the blue rinse brigade we are now in a position where we talk about "sex and violence" as if they are equally abhorrent on television when that is simply not the case. I don't think that's a particularly helpful legacy.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Given that nearly everything she opposed is considered mainstream or normal now, I think it is safe to say that, in the long-term she has had zero impact. Mind you, Cliff Richard is still around.

I think she got Cliff sing some spiritual/religious songs at her crusade events.

I reckon Mary Whitehouse was a bit of a media whore trying to court controversy to sell her books and get people to join her organisation. I'm sure she used to enjoy watching the 'filth' she condemned.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think she got Cliff sing some spiritual/religious songs at her crusade events.

I reckon Mary Whitehouse was a bit of a media whore trying to court controversy to sell her books and get people to join her organisation. I'm sure she used to enjoy watching the 'filth' she condemned.

I don't think we've heard the last of the Harry Webb saga.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
On the subject of the Life of Brian, its somewhat ironic that despite initially being banned from local cinemas by Worthing Borough Council in 1979, 36 years later 'Always look on the bright side of life" is one of the most popular pieces of music played at Worthing Crematorium owned and operated by Worthing Borough Council.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Whitehouse was a religious zealot who decided that her view of morality should be imposed on the rest of the nation. You could say she was a "spin doctor" long before the term was invented. Her views on censorship still influence what the nanny state decide is best for the populace.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
She was a jumped up preacher who thought her Victorian values should be enforced on everyone. I doubt she's on here though, well unless she's learned to use the internet from the grave ( and she'd hate the Beautiful Women thread ! ).

Indeed. She was a one-woman nanny state, wanting to protect us all from 'filth' on TV; if she was still alive today, Game of Thrones would give her a heart attack!

She used to go the courts to get injunctions to prevent the broadcasting of TV programmes and theatre shows she considered to be blasphemous or sexually explicit - without even seeing them first.

She also wanted the children's cartoon Tom and Jerry banned, on the grounds that it would encourage violence among young children.

Even Thatcher (who might have been expected to agree with her 'Victorian crusade') apparently thought she was a bit loopy!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The new Mary Whitehouse: Theresa May

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...-cabinet-colleague-leaked-letter-reveals.html

Theresa-May_2508509b.jpg

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Mind you, although I'm not a prude, I've never liked sex on the telly.

It's too uncomfortable :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
She had little impact at the time if truth be told. The media rolled her out in large part so that her random moralisations could be used as a contrast to justify their scheduling. She was largely held to be a figure of fun and perhaps her saddest legacy is that she did so much to demonstrate the possibilities of becoming famous simply for being famous. Without her example Big Brother might never have been!
Oh the irony :facepalm:

I think she had a hugely negative impact. Stifling debate and moralising over the subject of sex didn't help uncover child abuse, it didn't advance the lesbian and gay movements, it didn't help with education about AIDS.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
She was a strangely presumptuous old bird, with her self-styled National Viewers' and Listeners' Association never gathering more than a couple of thousand adherents.

For the rest of us, it was her unthinking conflation of sex and violence as equal evils that made no sense. On hearing her rantings, most reasonable people were able to conclude that these were not the same thing at all. As a result, Whitehouse's much-feared permissive society continued on its merry path.

Sex and violence are by no means equal in the USA, where it's still perfectly acceptable for viewers of any age to watch action movies in which people are routinely tortured, murdered or blown apart, with blood and guts strewn everywhere. Whereas the display of a single female nipple will send hundreds of thousands of Americans into paroxysms of anguish and national broadcasters' call centres into total meltdown.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
She was a strangely presumptuous old bird, with her self-styled National Viewers' and Listeners' Association never gathering more than a couple of thousand adherents.

For the rest of us, it was her unthinking conflation of sex and violence as equal evils that made no sense. On hearing her rantings, most reasonable people were able to conclude that these were not the same thing at all. As a result, Whitehouse's much-feared permissive society continued on its merry path.

Sex and violence are by no means equal in the USA, where it's still perfectly acceptable for viewers of any age to watch action movies in which people are routinely tortured, murdered or blown apart, with blood and guts strewn everywhere. Whereas the display of a single female nipple will send hundreds of thousands of Americans into paroxysms of anguish and national broadcasters' call centres into total meltdown.

Indeed - eloquently expressed!

Shooting someone's brains out = good entertainment to be enjoyed; screwing someone's brains out = disgusting obscenity to be banned :mad:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think she had a hugely negative impact. Stifling debate and moralising over the subject of sex didn't help uncover child abuse, it didn't advance the lesbian and gay movements, it didn't help with education about AIDS.

Lot of truth in that. She also eulogised Jimmy Savile, adding to the veneer of respectability that made him untouchable.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Anyone remember the 'red triangle' film series on Channel? There was a red triangle in the corner of the screen warning you that the film contained naughty things and actions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here