Andy Hinchcliffe's top ten Championship players so far

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Let's name who are, arguably, the best players in the world at the moment

Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, ibrahimovic, Lewandowski..

Strikers/attackers get the plaudits generally. It's not something new.

Also, in a list pinpointing individuals, players who can change a game and are arguably dragging their team on despite being poor (unlike us) will always stand out.

That's frankly from the same school of thinking. Just from Europe in recent years you could add Manuel Neuer, Pirlo or Sergio Ramos to that list as players who not only stood out but were absolutely pivotal to their teams' success.

I'm not saying we have a lot of outstanding individuals but to not include Stephens and / or Bruno in that list IS lazy.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
I don't really care, let him come back at the end of the season when we hvae won promotion.Under the radar still, i am happy with that. This might change if we win at Burnley?

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
very odd - can make a case for Gray but not Barton, he's been good for us but certainly not top 10. Just a case of using a recognisable name.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
All from teams that have been in the PL in recent seasons (bar Weds), it's SKY, what did you expect?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That's frankly from the same school of thinking. Just from Europe in recent years you could add Manuel Neuer, Pirlo or Sergio Ramos to that list as players who not only stood out but were absolutely pivotal to their teams' success.

I'm not saying we have a lot of outstanding individuals but to not include Stephens and / or Bruno in that list IS lazy.

Indeed. I don't disagree with you.

I suppose what I would ask is, which OTHER teams Midfielders and Defenders/Goalkeepers would people suggest should be in the top 10 championship players this season.

I think people would struggle.

Ironically I imagine most here would suggest Kodija at Bristol City was unlucky to miss out.......and he is a striker.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I suppose what I would ask is, which OTHER teams Midfielders and Defenders/Goalkeepers would people suggest should be in the top 10 championship players this season.

Ironically I imagine most here would suggest Kodija at Bristol City was unlucky to miss out.......and he is a striker.

Fair enough. I've watched a fair bit of FL 72 on tv (my son prefers it to the Premier League, I've brainwashed him well) and seen every home game plus Fulham away. I genuinely haven't seen a better full back in the league than Bruno which is why he stands out so much. In fact, until Bong got injured we had TWO of the best full backs in the division.

Marshall at Cardiff is the best keeper in the league for me. They only conceded one goal in October against........us. So I'll have him :)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Probably would not struggle all that much.

I would string three across the middle of Judge (Brentford), Gallagher (PNE), Johnson (Derby). Not better but as good. Add in Thorne (Derby), Lansbury (Forest) with Jota (Brentford) and Reid (Forest) to come back from injury.

I don't think we will know how good Kayal and Stephens are until after the Burnley game. It might be a barometer. Stephens seems to have gone off the boil. David Jones (Burnley) is getting good reports, allegedly, but I don't believe it.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...al_stars_and_no_one_to_worry_Burnley/?ref=mac

This seems to be a consensus.

Good players (other opinions) seem to be playing for Burnley, Birmingham, Derby, QPR, Middlesbrough and Brentford this season.

I think it's worth reading the two comments underneath it which pick him up for saying that. Any Claret's fan worth their salt know that Brighton are a strong side with a depth to them which will see them well throughout the season. I saw Hemed in one of your TV games early this season (was it the opening game) and texted my mate who was at the match to tell him how impressed I was.

In contrast our two starting CM's are over 30, of the two covering this position we have an untried 23 year old and a player coming back from a serious knee injury. We've finally got some sort of cover at the back and upfront, but if we get a football manager injury bug hitting our midfield it could be a long season.

The season we got promoted we didn't have any 'star players' - one of our best players that season had been picked up on a free. An odd article.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think it's worth reading the two comments underneath it which pick him up for saying that. Any Claret's fan worth their salt know that Brighton are a strong side with a depth to them which will see them well throughout the season. I saw Hemed in one of your TV games early this season (was it the opening game) and texted my mate who was at the match to tell him how impressed I was.

In contrast our two starting CM's are over 30, of the two covering this position we have an untried 23 year old and a player coming back from a serious knee injury. We've finally got some sort of cover at the back and upfront, but if we get a football manager injury bug hitting our midfield it could be a long season.

The season we got promoted we didn't have any 'star players' - one of our best players that season had been picked up on a free. An odd article.

***** STAR ***** players are not necessariliy the best.

Albion undoubtably have star players: Bruno, composure on the ball and some outrageous play justfies star quality.
Bobby Zamora can turn it on with individual pices of skill as can Lualua with is remarkable acceleration from a standing start.

Whether these players are a dangerous constant menace by Lancashire PL standards is a different matter. Enigmatic skills need the work rate players as well.

In the absence of blunders, it is individual pieces of skill that win matches. Lualua (8 pts) and Zamora (4 pts) with such moments of skill are the reason Albion are in second place and not amongst the chasers for a play-off spot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here