Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Glad to hear that the Sea of Bees was good, my mate's brother used to be the drummer for her and she's quite lovely, very genuine.

Some more reviews...

Damaged Bug - ' Cold Hot Plumbs' Side project of ever-so-prolific frontman for Thee Oh Sees, John Dwyer. He swaps fuzzy psychedelic guitar for fuzzy psychedelic synths, bleeps and whistles for a very entertaining album. Actually, he hasn't ditched the guitar completely but this is far more electronic than his day-job. It's very listenable and even funky in parts.

https://soundcloud.com/castle-face-1/03-the-mirror

Linden - 'Rest and Be Thankful' Former Superstar frontman Joe McAlinden's new solo album. He locked himself away in a cabin in Argyll to write all these songs and then sent them to Edwyn Collins to produce and put the finishing touches to this. Sorry, but it's not for me. I found it far too insipid, the tunes were a bit obvious and the album didn't have any points in it that came anywhere near grabbing my attention.

Rose Windows - 'Rose Windows' Now this is one hell of an album and sadly after releasing this in March the band announced extremely suddenly that they were splitting with immediate effect. Not sure why but reading between the lines there seems to have been a big falling out. Shame as this band stood alone in a field of one in the type of music they were making. The best way I can describe it is that they sound like late 60s West Coast guitar psychedelic blues fronted by a female singer with one hell of a voice. At times they sound like they are a subdued version of Jefferson Airplane. But that description doesn't do them justice, each tune sounds big, deliberate and has had a lot of thought put into it - they don't believe in album fillers. They do vary tempo and style too but they never forget that they are a blues rock band, everything else comes from that. Highly recommended.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnvd39v29DE

It Hugs Back - 'Slow Wave' The title of this long player could almost describe the genre. You really need to listen to this album 3 or 4 times before you get anywhere near to hearing everything on there, the album is incredibly deceptive, you think it might be shoe-gaze but it isn't really, it could be chill wave but then again...it reminds me of Boards of Canada, Kings of Convenience, Tindersticks..the album positively crawls along but if it went any faster it would be ruined. The guitars are warm and unhurried, the singing laid back and quiet, it's a Sunday morning rather than Saturday evening kind of album.

Sadly there's no stream of their new album but stand out track is called 'Somnolence'.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It Hugs Back - 'Slow Wave' The title of this long player could almost describe the genre. You really need to listen to this album 3 or 4 times before you get anywhere near to hearing everything on there, the album is incredibly deceptive, you think it might be shoe-gaze but it isn't really, it could be chill wave but then again...it reminds me of Boards of Canada, Kings of Convenience, Tindersticks..the album positively crawls along but if it went any faster it would be ruined. The guitars are warm and unhurried, the singing laid back and quiet, it's a Sunday morning rather than Saturday evening kind of album.

Sadly there's no stream of their new album but stand out track is called 'Somnolence'.

I quite like this one too. I don't think I'd ever heard of them before, but apparently they're from Kent and this is (I think) their third album. My wife is currently playing Kid Wave and The Staves a lot. Quite like the sound of both of these from the tracks I've heard - the former being shoe-gazey with some poppy sensibilities, the latter sounding like First Aid Kit crossed with Sharon Van Etten.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I quite like this one too. I don't think I'd ever heard of them before, but apparently they're from Kent and this is (I think) their third album. My wife is currently playing Kid Wave and The Staves a lot. Quite like the sound of both of these from the tracks I've heard - the former being shoe-gazey with some poppy sensibilities, the latter sounding like First Aid Kit crossed with Sharon Van Etten.

Thanks, I'll check those out. I misread at first and thought you meant KidWise - a French band that I like who are on bandcamp: https://kidwise.bandcamp.com/

Back to It Hugs Back, the more I listen to this the more I like it. The only thing that irks me (and it is slight) is their name. It reminds me in equal measure of 80s band 'It Bites' and then I start getting 'Calling All the Heroes' tune stuck in my head or it reminds me of that scene in Silence of the Lambs "It puts the lotion in the bucket..." *shudder*

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Thanks, I'll check those out. I misread at first and thought you meant KidWise - a French band that I like who are on bandcamp: https://kidwise.bandcamp.com/

Back to It Hugs Back, the more I listen to this the more I like it. The only thing that irks me (and it is slight) is their name. It reminds me in equal measure of 80s band 'It Bites' and then I start getting 'Calling All the Heroes' tune stuck in my head or it reminds me of that scene in Silence of the Lambs "It puts the lotion in the bucket..." *shudder*

It's a bit of a twee name, and, as you say, anything that reminds you of It Bites is a bad thing. The Big Lad In The Windmill indeed.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

I'll give Kidwise a listen. Kid Wave are playing at Sticky Mike's - may well get a couple of tickets.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nev Cottee - 'Strange News From The Sun' This was quite a discovery, it's the Mancunian (well - Oldham actually) born singer's second album although he's brand new to me. He used to be in country rock band The Proud Marys (once again, never heard of them) and apparently there's a strong Noel Gallagher connection with the two of them going way back to when they used to stand at the bar at the Hacienda talking about Crosby, Stills and Nash whilst everyone else was raving - yeah, I don't quite believe that either but it's a nice story. Anyways, the album is quite something; he's been described previously and extremely accurately as sounding like Lee Hazlewood fronting Spiritualized. There's also something of his voice that reminds me of Townes Van Zandt although the guitars are nothing like the late, great bluesman. As with Lee Hazlewood, I'm not quite sure why it is that I like this album but I do like it, love it in fact - it was an instant hit in my household over the weekend. He sings country rock and blues and at times I felt like cheering when hearing some of the tunes. If you've never heard of Lee Hazlewood then he was an extremely unfashionable gravel-voiced singer with some great tunes, the type of tunes that Glen Campbell himself would have been proud of. Nev Cottee takes that style and gives it a lot of welly. Just check this track out, it's just magnificent.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFhetim5DJE

Cayucas - 'Dancing At The Blue Lagoon' Another album that had instant and universal appeal. My 13 year-old especially, he's a big Vampire Weekend fan and instantly latched onto the African guitar riffs that Cayucas like to play. It's not all like that though, they throw in a bit of calypso but for the main part they do lovely harmonies on Beach Boys-inspired tunes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3LtbVbkGG0

The Legends - 'It's Love' Normally I'm not a fan of vocoder but for some reason this album is an exception. Swedish band The Legends are essentially frontman Johan Angergård and this can only be described as his album. It's deeply personal and tracks a very messy relationship break-up. As you'd expect, the tracks are mostly of the melancholic variety but there's some lovely synths and drums in here that lift it from the maudlin. His voice actually suits vocoder and perhaps that's what's the difference between this and other albums, Purity Ring's for example, where I'm reaching for the off button. If you liked Roger Sanchez's big hit 'Another Chance' then there's a distinct possibility that you'll like this album too and it comes in at just under 40 minutes so it's not too heavy. This album won't be for everyone, I'll readily admit and you need to be in the right mood but it worked for me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=48waMHUiTeM

Life in Film - 'Here It Comes' The first track has a very inauspicious start. I thought on first hearing that it sounded like the Arctic Monkeys trying to cover Kings of Leon but the album does get much better straight after that. The Bournemouth/London band have bided their time before releasing this, their first album - they've been going for 7 years or so now and have released singles and EPs before. This album is produced by legendary producer Stephen Street so comes with a lot of credibility and you know it's going to be a good 'un - and it is. They do indie-pop very well albeit at times sounding a lot like the Arctics but I guess that's no bad thing. I was given a copy of the deluxe version of the album and there's an awful lot of consolidating previous releases into this and I did appreciate their variety. They can do the slower acoustic numbers as well as anthemic crowd pleasers. I wanted to post up their track 'Set It Off' but can't find a stream.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDfTGvvctfY

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apologies - yet more reviews!

Terakaft - 'Alone' Another Malian rock/blues band but this one is quite different from their Malian contemporaries: Samba Toure, Songhoy Blues et al. They describe their sound as authentic desert blues and from the sound of the music and that description that I'm guessing that these chaps are from Saharan Mali and are of Arabic rather than black African origin. Certainly, their music sounds a lot more Arabic, at times I half expect Omar Souleyman to join them (now, that would be a magnificent pairing). It's a fun record despite not understanding a word of what they are saying, there's plenty of variety and they are Western-looking in their music meaning that it won't just appeal to a bunch of chin-stroking hipsters; this is very accessible, very cool - it's a great diversion.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPOWn1RuTpA

Everything Everything - 'Get To Heaven' The band originate from Northumbria, Kent and Guernsey but are based in Manchester. It's their 3rd album although they've slipped under my radar until now but having heard this one more than a few times, there's no way they can ever be ignored again. This is a very good album. It's a juggernaut of an album, in fact. Practically every tune is 'big' with an infectious, aggressive, compelling chorus. It's produced by Stuart Price who has worked with many A-list musicians for many years including some of the art-pop bands of 10 years ago that Everything Everything were clearly influenced by (Franz Ferdinand, Arctics, Killers, Strokes, Hard-Fi etc) but they do have their own style. They are apt to adopt a fast rap/talk/singing style and it's slightly over-used on the album but that's a very minor quibble. The order of the day is in-your-face intros, hooks that won't quit and those aforementioned choruses. If you can, try to listen to the deluxe edition as the 6 bonus songs are all good enough on their own to feature as an extremely good EP.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUuWZ8-hBg

Outfit - 'Slowness' I've listened to a few albums this month where the first track has been a bit iffy. I know that a lot of bands use the first track as an opportunity for an interesting opening and traditionally, the strongest tracks on an album are around tracks 2 and 3 but I've always held great store with how an album starts - a bit like judging a book by its cover but I'm too long in the tooth now to change. The first track annoyed me, it still annoys me and I wonder if it's made me jaundiced with the rest of the album because I don't think it's all that. I'm rambling now but the album is pleasant to listen to, it's synthesiser-heavy with clever production and has a very fresh feel to it but each track comes across as a bit watery, there's no killer tune at all on an album that meanders along sometimes ambient, sometimes threatening to be disco, sometimes promising to be pop but never delivering. I'm not quite sure where they are trying to get to with their music but I can't imagine wanting ever to see them perform live. I'd get bored.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Apologies - yet more reviews!

Terakaft - 'Alone' Another Malian rock/blues band but this one is quite different from their Malian contemporaries: Samba Toure, Songhoy Blues et al. They describe their sound as authentic desert blues and from the sound of the music and that description that I'm guessing that these chaps are from Saharan Mali and are of Arabic rather than black African origin. Certainly, their music sounds a lot more Arabic, at times I half expect Omar Souleyman to join them (now, that would be a magnificent pairing). It's a fun record despite not understanding a word of what they are saying, there's plenty of variety and they are Western-looking in their music meaning that it won't just appeal to a bunch of chin-stroking hipsters; this is very accessible, very cool - it's a great diversion.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPOWn1RuTpA

Everything Everything - 'Get To Heaven' The band originate from Northumbria, Kent and Guernsey but are based in Manchester. It's their 3rd album although they've slipped under my radar until now but having heard this one more than a few times, there's no way they can ever be ignored again. This is a very good album. It's a juggernaut of an album, in fact. Practically every tune is 'big' with an infectious, aggressive, compelling chorus. It's produced by Stuart Price who has worked with many A-list musicians for many years including some of the art-pop bands of 10 years ago that Everything Everything were clearly influenced by (Franz Ferdinand, Arctics, Killers, Strokes, Hard-Fi etc) but they do have their own style. They are apt to adopt a fast rap/talk/singing style and it's slightly over-used on the album but that's a very minor quibble. The order of the day is in-your-face intros, hooks that won't quit and those aforementioned choruses. If you can, try to listen to the deluxe edition as the 6 bonus songs are all good enough on their own to feature as an extremely good EP.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUuWZ8-hBg

Outfit - 'Slowness' I've listened to a few albums this month where the first track has been a bit iffy. I know that a lot of bands use the first track as an opportunity for an interesting opening and traditionally, the strongest tracks on an album are around tracks 2 and 3 but I've always held great store with how an album starts - a bit like judging a book by its cover but I'm too long in the tooth now to change. The first track annoyed me, it still annoys me and I wonder if it's made me jaundiced with the rest of the album because I don't think it's all that. I'm rambling now but the album is pleasant to listen to, it's synthesiser-heavy with clever production and has a very fresh feel to it but each track comes across as a bit watery, there's no killer tune at all on an album that meanders along sometimes ambient, sometimes threatening to be disco, sometimes promising to be pop but never delivering. I'm not quite sure where they are trying to get to with their music but I can't imagine wanting ever to see them perform live. I'd get bored.

Something (probably NME hero worship) put me off Everything Everything before. Thank you for opening my eyes. I'll be listening further.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yet more reviews. (sorry!)

June has been an exceptionally good month for new releases and here's a few more that in my humble opinion are up there with the best of them.

Algiers - 'Algiers' Oh my, what an album. Seriously, if you listen to just one album this week then please make it this. They combine gospel songs with dark, ominous music to produce something quite otherworldly. The first track 'Remains' is gloriously bad ass. Imagine Nick Cave given free rein with the Edwin Hawkins singers to produce this Old Testament, blood and thunder 'thing'. I can imagine that Moby, on hearing this album, would exclaim that this is exactly the kind of music he was trying to make. It's not all crashing music, there are some quieter moments but even these weigh heavy. And then with tracks such as 'And When You Fall' or 'Old Girl' they remind me a lot of the Temptations 'Ball Of Confusion' era: the voice, the way the tune swirls around like a particularly bad-tempered storm cloud and still keeping it funky. This is a stupendously good album and I know music is the most subjective thing of all but I'd be shocked and amazed if there's a single person whjo disagrees with that assessment.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YinKjVrAW4I

Bang Gang - 'Wolves Are Whispering' Yet another Icelandic wunderkind, Bang Gang has been going for a couple of years now and his style is synth-pop. He's worked with Air previously and a guest singer on this album is Helen Marnie from Ladytron. He also takes a lot from listening to Sigur Ros, Depeche Mode and mix all those together and this is the result. Never once does he stray into more self-indulgent ambient territory, every track has a beginning, a middle and an end with catchy choruses. It would be a real shame if this album slipped by unnoticed because it does deserve a wide audience and plenty of radio airplay.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac_YZLx3dTs

Them Are Us Too - 'Remain' If there's a more Cocteau Twins sounding band out there at the moment then I've not heard them. The album came out a few months back, it's not a June release but I'm incredibly disappointed that it's not been picked up by the usual radio stations and record shops. As I say, they do sound a lot like the Cocteau Twins with tracks such as 'False Moon' reminding me of why I loved the C Twins so much when I first heard them, they've got those long, guitar twangs and the voice down to a tee. There are other influences too. 'The Problem With Redheads' is reminiscent of those anthemic Bjork tunes of the late 90s. I'd be interested to read what others think of this band.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo4Y1RhqkTY

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm starting to think FFS is a modern masterpiece.

Jul 7, 2003
I'm starting to think FFS is a modern masterpiece.

Be interesting to see what they are like live when you see them in Berlin as there is a real mix of style in their stage acts. Maybe Ronald will dance again!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I wish I 'got' that album. It's like colour blindness, I've had people point bits out and say how good they are and I hear something different.

Just listening to the Nadine Shah album again. Now, I get that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wish I 'got' that album. It's like colour blindness, I've had people point bits out and say how good they are and I hear something different.

Ha. Same as me and British Sea Power.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Be interesting to see what they are like live when you see them in Berlin as there is a real mix of style in their stage acts. Maybe Ronald will dance again!

Yeah. Seeing them on the line-up was a nice surprise. In the absence of a dance a long stare will be fine. Apparently they do a few Franz and Sparks hits as well. Should be fun.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tracks I have heard on 6 music have really impressed me. Those going to Glastonbury should get to see them live- a few other dates in the uk after that but mostly oversea.

If you haven't got the album it's a worthy investment IMHO. It's a great, and slightly unhinged, on first listen and just gets better.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here