Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Lineker's extended interview with Chris Hughton

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Same sentiments here. Absolutely lovely bloke, looks fit as a flea and sharp as a tack at 59, and I watched the whole thing from start to finish with a smile on my face.

I wish everyone would leave the 'black manager' thing alone though. Surely we're past all that now?

Mr Hooton is a true gent, and I feel proud he's in charge. Even if we went down there'd be no question he was still the man for us. In all the madness that is the PL, we're an oasis of calm from top to bottom. :thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Same sentiments here. Absolutely lovely bloke, looks fit as a flea and sharp as a tack at 59, and I watched the whole thing from start to finish with a smile on my face.

I wish everyone would leave the 'black manager' thing alone though. Surely we're past all that now?

Mr Hooton is a true gent, and I feel proud he's in charge. Even if we went down there'd be no question he was still the man for us. In all the madness that is the PL, we're an oasis of calm from top to bottom. :thumbsup:

The black coach thing is an issue for British football so I suppose it has to be dragged up, but I have to say I don't see him as a black manager. I just see him as our manager, and a great one.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

So do I - But it has to keep coming up. I think he wants it to keep coming up because he would like the imbalance to be addressed and if he can play any part in that he is only too willing to do so.

That was really interesting interview - You can tell he likes Gary and Gary likes him. He was very open and honest. He didn't do his pragmatic politician answers. Everything was very open and honest and there was good cohesion during the interview from them from start to finish.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
.....But it has to keep coming up. I think he wants it to keep coming up because he would like the imbalance to be addressed and if he can play any part in that he is only too willing to do so..

Curve ball.... What if there aren't actually that many black players (or non-players) who want to go into management? What if it's just a 'person' thing rather than a 'colour' thing? Would we end up where black managers have been appointed purely on their skin colour to address an imbalance, rather than on their actual ability?

Probably for another thread, but I'm afraid I don't see colour of skin when it comes to someone being right for the job. Who cares, and what does it matter at the end of the day? :shrug:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Found it a bit dull to be honest. I looked at the length of the video and thought woohay we are in for a treat. A very good chunk wasted on his Spurs days and about BAME. There's so much Lineker could have talked about regarding us and the Premier league itself. Our rise from the Championship,Players,Bloom,infrastructure our first season in the Premier league etc.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Curve ball.... What if there aren't actually that many black players (or non-players) who want to go into management? What if it's just a 'person' thing rather than a 'colour' thing? Would we end up where black managers have been appointed purely on their skin colour to address an imbalance, rather than on their actual ability?

Probably for another thread, but I'm afraid I don't see colour of skin when it comes to someone being right for the job. Who cares, and what does it matter at the end of the day? :shrug:

I am not massively up to promoting ''Positive Discrimination'' but there are still barriers there for BME Managers and they have to be broken down. It will happen but it is happening too slowly. So if positive discrimination speeds that up then that has to be the route we take.

It's about changing the ''minsdet'' - Not giving people jobs for the sake of it but we really need to open the minds of the people in the Boardrooms and get more people from BME backgrounds. Brighton have opened their minds to it.

Look at Brighton now - Chris Hughton, Paul Nevin, Liam Rossenior and Hope Powell ; Brighton are probably the most progressive club in the whole of Europe on this issue and it is probably no co-incidence that it has coincided with one of the most successful spells on the pitch in the clubs history.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
This would have been the case had the film been about Brighton & Hove Albion but the subject matter is Chris Hughton.

Who just happens to be the manager of our club

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Found it a bit dull to be honest. I looked at the length of the video and thought woohay we are in for a treat. A very good chunk wasted on his Spurs days and about BAME. There's so much Lineker could have talked about regarding us and the Premier league itself. Our rise from the Championship,Players,Bloom,infrastructure our first season in the Premier league etc.

I quite liked the fact that they talked about the time he started to drop down the leagues and playing with Brentford and the difference in facilities.

The bit I wanted to see and for him to talk about was when he accidently almost kicked the head off Graham Roberts in the 1981 Cup final. I have never been able to find that clip and he never talks about it.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I quite liked the fact that they talked about the time he started to drop down the leagues and playing with Brentford and the difference in facilities.

The bit I wanted to see and for him to talk about was when he accidently almost kicked the head off Graham Roberts in the 1981 Cup final. I have never been able to find that clip and he never talks about it.

The Brentford bit was interesting i agree .

I'm just getting a bit sick of hearing about BAME now and stuff like diversity all the time. You just can't escape it. Don't get me wrong it's a good thing but it's pushed down our throats constantly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012

Hughton i assume disagrees as it appears he's happy to to bring it up. He's passionate about more diversity in the game especially management, campaigns to prevent racism and his experiences both as a child, player and coach. And wants to use his platform as a premier league manager to talk about it.
And as the Bong incidents and his still recent experience at Norwich shows, racist abuse directed at him or his players hasn't gone away
See:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45672384
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ove-racism-that-im-better-than-that-23ljskn83
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...nager-Chris-Hughton-hurt-by-racist-abuse.html

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
Don't get me wrong [BAME}it's a good thing but it's pushed down our throats constantly.

Presumably you'd blame Hughton for that as its him that goes out of his way to lead and represent campaigns, gives multiple interviews to talk about it, and speaks out about diversity issues regularly?

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey just how narrowminded do you have to be to get titsy about BAME?

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Not entirely sure I'm getting 'titsy' - and for the record I'm firmly on the side of CH when there's genuinely an issue. He clearly used to suffer mindless abuse from scumbag 'supporters' when he was a player and nobody should have to suffer that, or accept it. That, to me, is something which belongs with Bernard Manning and the 1970's and should never return. End of.

What I questioned was purely the fact that is there a possibility that black players (and non-players) may not want to get into management in significant numbers. Are there literally hundreds of black ex-players wanting to go into management and they're being stone-walled because of their colour? Are worse candidates for the job getting the job because they're white? If so, that's wrong of the highest order and should be addressed immediately, obviously.

If that's not the case, are we barking up the wrong tree because the potential candidates simply aren't there - hence a wrongly perceived imbalance in numbers of black managers and coaches in the UK? Then, is there a possibility that black coaches and managers with less credentials getting the job because of their colour, thus making a mockery of what is trying to be achieved?

It was just a sensible, logical question which I've tried to ask in an inoffensive manner. It's not an attack on BAME, I assure you. Far from it.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Not entirely sure I'm getting 'titsy' - and for the record I'm firmly on the side of CH when there's genuinely an issue. He clearly used to suffer mindless abuse from scumbag 'supporters' when he was a player and nobody should have to suffer that, or accept it. That, to me, is something which belongs with Bernard Manning and the 1970's and should never return. End of.

What I questioned was purely the fact that is there a possibility that black players (and non-players) may not want to get into management in significant numbers. Are there literally hundreds of black ex-players wanting to go into management and they're being stone-walled because of their colour? Are worse candidates for the job getting the job because they're white? If so, that's wrong of the highest order and should be addressed immediately, obviously.

If that's not the case, are we barking up the wrong tree because the potential candidates simply aren't there - hence a wrongly perceived imbalance in numbers of black managers and coaches in the UK? Then, is there a possibility that black coaches and managers with less credentials getting the job because of their colour, thus making a mockery of what is trying to be achieved?

It was just a sensible, logical question which I've tried to ask in an inoffensive manner. It's not an attack on BAME, I assure you. Far from it.

Ask Leroy Rosenior. I'm sure there are a lot less competent managers than him.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Your post above totally astounds me.

You say the candidates might not be there - .

Actually the total opposite is true. Potentially good black managers give up trying because their paths are blocked. They are out there alright

You say that black managers could then potentially get jobs they are not qualified for -

Actually too many non black managers get jobs without proper credentials because Boardrooms will not open their minds to giving BME managers a shot at some jobs

The beginning of your post started out so well and then descended into the realms of the Dave Whelan interview when he tried to defend Malky Mackay - Quite sad really

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here