Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Lineker's extended interview with Chris Hughton

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Really good stuff from Chris as you'd expect – calm authority, modesty, professionalism, honesty and all the other qualities that we admire.

Pretty uninspiring questions from Lineker though ... he seems to run out of stuff to ask and at least two questions were repeated. Not enough specifics about Brighton either – too much time going over old ground I thought.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Very good interview. As a child I lived in Northolt, and I was in the same year and class as Steve Perryman (Eliotts Green Grammar school). I remember watching his two elder brothers, play in the school football team. Then later, Steve and how we all followed his progress when he started playing for Spurs. Hearing Chris, talking about Stevie P made me wonder where the last 45-50 years have gone! Made me feel quite sad!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Said it before and will say it again (and again). What an absolute GENT the man is. So proud that he's our manager.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Great stuff. Never going to fall into any of the ham-fisted attempts at traps set by Lineacre.

I still think he will manage the Republic of Ireland after Brighton, no rush, hopefully he'll be with us for a good while yet, but I think that would attract him as a different challenge in the way a 'bigger club' wouldn't. He seems very content with the set-up at Brighton, and is experienced enough to know that if you have players you enjoy working with, you are having success, have a great rapport with the fans, and you work well with the owner and CEO - then the grass isn't always greener elsewhere.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Great stuff. Never going to fall into any of the ham-fisted attempts at traps set by Lineacre.

I still think he will manage the Republic of Ireland after Brighton, no rush, hopefully he'll be with us for a good while yet, but I think that would attract him as a different challenge in the way a 'bigger club' wouldn't. He seems very content with the set-up at Brighton, and is experienced enough to know that if you have players you enjoy working with, you are having success, have a great rapport with the fans, and you work well with the owner and CEO - then the grass isn't always greener elsewhere.

He's already been assistant manager for the ROI, so I think he'll stay with us until he retires. He's nearly 60 and although that isn't old for a manager, if he's with us for another 5 years, then I think he'll just retire.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He's already been assistant manager for the ROI, so I think he'll stay with us until he retires. He's nearly 60 and although that isn't old for a manager, if he's with us for another 5 years, then I think he'll just retire.

.......or stay on at the club in some capacity (I hope). Would be a brilliant ambassador.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He looks in good shape for nearly 60. Despite expertly fending of Lineker's questions about moving to a top 6 job, I wouldn't begrudge him if the opportunity came.

Of course I hope that's not the case.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Seem to recall he has taken business management / administration qualifications. He will probably either end up on the board or a position within the FA / Premier league.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He'll stay at BHA until he retires. The perfect match of a cerebral owner and manager, all calmness, in a industry rife with short termists.
This. Amazing really with the carnage at most clubs re owners, managers, and the rest of the shitstorm that is football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here