Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Anti English Scottish Party Anual Conference in Glasgow

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Nicola Sturgeon delivering her keynote speech this afternoon - same old rhetoric - same old resentment! Anyone but England!

It's tough on the Scots - they're shrinking! From 18% to 8% of the UK population in just a couple of centuries.

Since the Beatles era, 1961, England's population has risen by 14,460,187 (35%). Scotland's in the same period has risen by 245,800 (4.7%), (From 5,179,000).

So - since 1961 England's population has increased by not far short of THREE times the TOTAL of Scotland both then and now! Wow!

Their answer is to become an ever smaller fish by independently being a member of the EU where they would amount to just 1% of the population and be totally consumed by the project.

Nicola, today, still "bigging up" Scotland as a significant world class nation. But England is now 10 times the size, Europe is 100 times the size, China is 250 time the size and the planet is 1,300 times the size.

Would - so called independence - just hasten their relegation to the minor leagues?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would - so called independence - just hasten their relegation to the minor leagues?

It will do once we've taken the last of their oil.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
However much I do not want Scotland to leave the Union, she is a great speaker, after listeneing to her conference speech two or three things stuck out, if they deliver on them.

Trainee Nurses to be paid more

New funding to address homelessness

Funds to help small businesses to modernise

Living wage to come in over minimum wage.

About as many years in power as the British Government and they still have a focus on some key issues.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
However much I do not want Scotland to leave the Union, she is a great speaker, after listeneing to her conference speech two or three things stuck out, if they deliver on them.

Trainee Nurses to be paid more

New funding to address homelessness

Funds to help small businesses to modernise

Living wage to come in over minimum wage.

About as many years in power as the British Government and they still have a focus on some key issues.

You missed off the last point:

Plant a magic money tree, once they get their independence.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Nicola Sturgeon delivering her keynote speech this afternoon - same old rhetoric - same old resentment! Anyone but England!

It's tough on the Scots - they're shrinking! From 18% to 8% of the UK population in just a couple of centuries.

Since the Beatles era, 1961, England's population has risen by 14,460,187 (35%). Scotland's in the same period has risen by 245,800 (4.7%), (From 5,179,000).

So - since 1961 England's population has increased by not far short of THREE times the TOTAL of Scotland both then and now! Wow!

You say that as if population growth is a good thing?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Well they don't need one, they have clearly outlined how they would use taxes to pay for these things.

The magic money tree is one of our governments creations.

following the comment about a reducing population then logic says there will be less earnings to tax. Higher taxes would probably accelerate the reduction still further ??

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Does anyone seriously believe that Scotland can operate as a stand-alone, independent country, when it currently runs a deficit of over 10% against GDP, spending £127 for every £100 raised in tax. This is double the second highest figure in the developed world ( Japan ) To go it alone, Scotland would need to run a deficit of below 3%, to enable it to be taken seriously in the financial world. They would have to cut state spending by 15% and increase taxes by 20% or a combination of both.
They are able to overspend like this because of extra money sent from England. The Scots get £120 per head of population, against the English figure of £100. Years have shown that pooling resources is better than trying to go it alone.
The dreams of the SNP are just that...dreams. They are trying to punch above their weight, their size and their resources.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Scottish independence is based on idealism andnot practicalities.

In the event they did win a vote Jimmy Krankie would just find a reason to blame the English anyway when it all goes wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Let them go. Let Joxit mean Joxit.

Wales next. Then Cornwall.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Sturgeon always talks about 'an independent Scotland in the EU' as if it would be a formality. Far from it. For a start the Spanish would strongly oppose an independent Scotland's membership in case it made it easier for the Catalans to do the same and their veto would be enough to kill it.

Also, I think I read somewhere that Scotland has a disproportionately high amount of UK government employment - benefits offices, tax offices, naval shipyards, airbases, etc compared to England. Under Scottish independence they would only have their own government institutions and armed forces income. The 'english' money would go back to the rest of the UK, increasing the chance of our northern friends being the same sort of isolated financial basketcase that led to them wanting a union in the first place

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Brexit is based on idealism andnot practicalities.

In the event they did win a vote Leavers would just find a reason to blame the EU anyway when it all goes wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your original quote reminded me of something.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Their answer is to become an ever smaller fish by independently being a member of the EU where they would amount to just 1% of the population and be totally consumed by the project.

Nicola, today, still "bigging up" Scotland as a significant world class nation. But England is now 10 times the size, Europe is 100 times the size, China is 250 time the size and the planet is 1,300 times the size.

It's difficult to tell who you dislike the most - Nicola Sturgeon or Scotland itself.

An independent Scotland would be larger in terms of population than fellow EU states Ireland, Croatia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Latvia, Estonia, Cyprus, Luxembourg and Malta.

As for population decline, Scotland doesn't have a problem compared with the likes of Romania and Bulgaria - down by 4 million and 2 million respectively over the last 20 years.

Scotland voted overwhelmingly to Remain in the EU, historically it has been close to France and would have natural friends and allies in Scandinavia. I think they would be good Europeans and do very well financially out of multinationals wanting an English-speaking base in an EU member state.

Where I do agree is that financial issues are Sturgeon's weak point and the SNP need to come up with better financial plans than they've done so far, i.e. their predictions of North Sea Oil revenues have been pure fantasy. That said, I think financial independence IS achievable for them although their population will need a significant influx of net immigration to rebalance the ageing population.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here