Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Ryder cup 2018.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Butch is paid to lick the Europeans arses.
Reed was having a laugh and applauded the fans straight away for what was no more than a bit of banter - as they say nowadays. You have to have a pantomime villain and Reed plays it well. Thomas did it as well but they can walk the walk.
I like Butch but he got it wrong about Reed. As you say, he was clearly taking the piss out of himself.

Thought it was a nice touch as he'd being having the "shhhh" banter with the crowd earlier in the tournament.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, they play a different game to us mere mortals. Going to watch a professional tournament is a real eye opener especially if you go to the practice range and short game area. I think I have a decent short game playing off 5 or 6, depending on how much I practice, but I wouldn’t have a prayer in a putting competition against them....even Lee Westwood:p.

The Open Championship is at Sandwich in 2020 and I would highly recommend attending if you want to see just how good they are. Just to be a jobbing tour pro scraping in the top 250 in the world you would have to play off +6 or +7 every time you tee it up, bearing in mind they play on the hardest courses in the world. I hate to think what type of handicap I would need for me to play to it at somewhere like Le Golf National. I’m guessing 20/24 might not be enough. The distance they hit it now is phenomenal and the sound of a crisp drive is somting different when they hit it.

Watching Tiger win The Open at St Andrews in 2005 was one of the greatest sporting events I have witnessed live as he was a beast that week and had the ball on a piece of string. He played with Monty on the Saturday in quite a volatile atmosphere, especially as the afternoon went on, but he rose above the heckling on his way to a comfortable win. Christ knows how he did it with all that came out in his private life a few years later.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Never underestimate the team bond between the Europeans and the lack of team bond between the yanks! Great stuff, what a 3 days it's been

The American co-commentator on 5Live said he wished the American players had the European’s passion, it’s just not in their nature. A good observation, he thought it orginated from the Spanish players. Starting at The Belfry all those years ago in 1985.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, they play a different game to us mere mortals. Going to watch a professional tournament is a real eye opener especially if you go to the practice range and short game area. I think I have a decent short game playing off 5 or 6, depending on how much I practice, but I wouldn’t have a prayer in a putting competition against them....even Lee Westwood:p.

The Open Championship is at Sandwich in 2020 and I would highly recommend attending if you want to see just how good they are. Just to be a jobbing tour pro scraping in the top 250 in the world you would have to play off +6 or +7 every time you tee it up, bearing in mind they play on the hardest courses in the world. I hate to think what type of handicap I would need for me to play to it at somewhere like Le Golf National. I’m guessing 20/24 might not be enough. The distance they hit it now is phenomenal and the sound of a crisp drive is somting different when they hit it.

Watching Tiger win The Open at St Andrews in 2005 was one of the greatest sporting events I have witnessed live as he was a beast that week and had the ball on a piece of string. He played with Monty on the Saturday in quite a volatile atmosphere, especially as the afternoon went on, but he rose above the heckling on his way to a comfortable win. Christ knows how he did it with all that came out in his private life a few years later.

We played at the jubilee course at St. Andrews a day after the scottish junior open and we played off the whites and the hadn't moved the pin positions. On one hole, the carry over the rough was 230 yards from the whites. I tend to drive around 250 to 270 but carry 220/230.

It was brutal but we got an idea how good these kids were!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"What you are seeing here is a bunch of guys who are elated. But what this team did not do was drop its guard for one minute, until this moment. This team was relentless in pursuit of excellence. We ticked every box, whether it was practice, recovery, nutrition. Thomas didn't fill our week with pointless team meetings. He trusted us to come together and be 12 individuals with a common goal. We stayed on point. The discipline we showed got us here"

- Justin Rose

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Ryder Cup is a fantastic sporting event.
But the over the top celebrations, the constant fist pumping, but especially the cheering and celebration of poor shots and missed putts is unacceptable, I know the yanks do it but this is golf, good shots should be applauded and bad shots met in silence.
I love the occasion and the excitement but find the rest of it very cringeworthy, it's far too over the top.
I like the celebrations, as long as it's not too much when you're opponent still has to play. I agree with you about cheering mistakes, it's not cool. Europe have slipped in that respect in recent years.

I never realised what a good example to us all Rickie Fowler is. I was fooled by his young brash style and being tarred with being American, but he's a credit to golf.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I like the celebrations, as long as it's not too much when you're opponent still has to play. I agree with you about cheering mistakes, it's not cool. Europe have slipped in that respect in recent years.

I never realised what a good example to us all Rickie Fowler is. I was fooled by his young brash style and being tarred with being American, but he's a credit to golf.
Always been a big fan of Ricky. He didn't play well this week but his attitude is always spot on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
100% this.

This is the best golf tournament for fans. It’s a team game just like football. A great chance for golf players to face the pressure of a partisan crowd (in both continents).
I don't like the fans being over partisan. It used to be more respectful here, and we've had a couple of trips to the US which haven't been so respectful, and I think our fans over-stepped the mark this time.
got to get myself to a RC tournament one day!
I've banned myself from going. Last time I went was 25 years ago, and that's the last time the US won over here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For those who don't play golf, the really strange thing about the handicapping system is how with such a little gap between shots received, the difference between a professional and a decent golfer, is absolutely immense.

I now play off 9 so it is saying that as they play of scratch, they are only 9 shots away.....but that is miles away from these guys.
Yeah, but you play off 9 on a regular little course I imagine, they're teeing off from way further back, and as someone else has mentioned, they're way past scratch.

EDIT - ignore, I see this has already been discussed :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yeah, but you play off 9 on a regular little course I imagine, they're teeing off from way further back, and as someone else has mentioned, they're way past scratch.

EDIT - ignore, I see this has already been discussed :)

Not in competitions, we play off white tees..

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I love the Ryder Cup so much........one of the best sporting events going. Not done much the past 3 days. I'm not even a big golf fan - just something about it.

This. The Ryder Cup is the only time I ever watch golf.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Has the course been mentioned yet?
It was an unbelievable match play course, talk about target golf!
Watching in HD from behind the player on the tee, some of the drives were scary stuff and the long irons into the greens ,over water, had to stop or they went into the water on the other side and the flags were quite close to the waters edge too.
Some unbelievable great shots played over the 3 days under extreme pressure.
I also like the fact that on some holes irons were used on the tee on par 4's.
It was golf at its very best.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
USA won the morning matches by a combined THREE HOLES (1up / 4&2 / 1up / -3)

EUR won the afternoon matches by a combined SEVENTEEN HOLES (3&2 / 4&2 / 5&4 / 5&4)

Decided to total this up at the end:

USA, matches won on Friday, by: 1up / 4&3 / 1 up - won by a total of 6 holes.
EUR, matches won on Friday, by: 3&1 / 3&2 / 4&2 / 5&4 / 5&4 - won by a total of 20 holes.

USA, matches won on Saturday, by: 3&2 / 4&3 / 2&1 - won by a total of 9 holes.
EUR, matches won on Saturday, by: 2&1 / 5&4 / 2&1 / 3&2 / 4&3 - won by a total of 16 holes.

USA, matches won on Sunday, by: 1up / 3&2 / 6&4 / 3&2 - won by a total of 13 holes.
EUR, matches won on Sunday, by: 2&1 / 2up / 5&4 / 2&1 / 4&2 / 5&4 / 1up - won by a total of 21 holes.

In total, USA won their successful matches by 28 holes - Europe by 57 holes. Any way you dice it up, an absolute thrashing.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Decided to total this up at the end:

USA, matches won on Friday, by: 1up / 4&3 / 1 up - won by a total of 6 holes.
EUR, matches won on Friday, by: 3&1 / 3&2 / 4&2 / 5&4 / 5&4 - won by a total of 20 holes.

USA, matches won on Saturday, by: 3&2 / 4&3 / 2&1 - won by a total of 9 holes.
EUR, matches won on Saturday, by: 2&1 / 5&4 / 2&1 / 3&2 / 4&3 - won by a total of 16 holes.

USA, matches won on Sunday, by: 1up / 3&2 / 6&4 / 3&2 - won by a total of 13 holes.
EUR, matches won on Sunday, by: 2&1 / 2up / 5&4 / 2&1 / 4&2 / 5&4 / 1up - won by a total of 21 holes.

In total, USA won their successful matches by 28 holes - Europe by 57 holes. Any way you dice it up, an absolute thrashing.

Get a job Hansy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I see the ever likeable Patrick Reed has had his say - having a pop at Jordan Spieth for apparently refusing to partner him - and at Jim Furyk, for benching him for both foursomes.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/45703605

"For somebody as successful in the Ryder Cup as I am, I don't think it's smart to sit me twice."

Maybe Patrick, that's because you were absolutely shit-house both mornings?!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see the ever likeable Patrick Reed has had his say - having a pop at Jordan Spieth for apparently refusing to partner him - and at Jim Furyk, for benching him for both foursomes.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/45703605

"For somebody as successful in the Ryder Cup as I am, I don't think it's smart to sit me twice."
Wow, what an absolute plum.
Maybe Patrick, that's because you were absolutely shit-house both mornings?!
Indeed, I thought it was harsh talking about Tiger getting no points, when he effectively played against Molinari and Fleetwood on his own, so bad was Reed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here