Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] HP Contact

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is an incredibly small hard drive to start with, Windows 7 will have taken at around half of all the available space to install, thats before you consider other applications, windows update files, temporary internet cache etc.

As I said before with the upcoming end of life for windows 7 i'd question how much benefit you'd get from faffing about with installing another hard drive, installing a new OS etc.

I'd also offer a word of caution regarding the hard drive pre-installed with Windows 10. Is the laptop is actually capable of running windows 10. As it appears to be a fairly old laptop I wouldn't have thought the manufacturer would have created Win10 drivers for the old hardware it is using, meaning vital components are unlikely to function properly. You may have plenty of storage space with this new hard drive but you are unlikely to be able to use the laptop properly.

Firstly I'd recommend running windows native disk cleanup, that will clear old windows update files, temporary files etc and should give you enough space to install the printer. I'd also recommend, as others have, CCleaner too as it's a useful tool for removing any unwanted programs.

Longer term I'd recommend buying a new laptop as soon as you can afford one.

Thanks for your advice. I will buy a new laptop eventually but as it is an old laptop I dont have a lot to lose and am quite keen and enthusiastic to have a go to up grade it myself using you tube google and NSC for advice and guidance. I also have an older laptop that has Windows XP on it that I was going to throw away. but after reading
this thread could I replace the hard drive on that one with a larger hard drive with windows 10 installed. Very curious.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Thanks for your advice. I will buy a new laptop eventually but as it is an old laptop I dont have a lot to lose and am quite keen and enthusiastic to have a go to up grade it myself using you tube google and NSC for advice and guidance. I also have an older laptop that has Windows XP on it that I was going to throw away. but after reading
this thread could I replace the hard drive on that one with a larger hard drive with windows 10 installed. Very curious.

It's very unlikely that Windows 10 will function on a laptop originally built for XP. And although buying a hard drive with Windows 10 pre-installed and plugging it in sounds easy, it rarely is. That version of Windows 10 will have been installed with drivers for a certain set of hardware, it's unlikely to come with the drivers you need and they could be difficult to find/non existent for older hardware, you will have to try and source them if Windows cannot automatically download them when you boot it up.

As an example, my brother in law (who claims to be some sort of IT expert and owns his own tech company) rebuilt my daughters laptop with Windows 10 (this was despite me questioning if it would work). When he gave it back to her it wouldn't connect to our home wireless. There was no driver installed for the wireless card to function, a check on the manufacturers website revealed that there was no Windows 10 driver for this laptops wireless card. The only way to get it to connect to the internet was to either plug it into the router via an ethernet cable (not very portable) or purchase a wi-fi dongle and use that. I reinstalled Windows 7 as soon as he left and it worked fine.

I certainly commend your willingness to learn and to give things a go though, just be prepared for some challenges as nothing is ever as simple as it seems with IT.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If I was to change the hard drive on the one that has windows 7 to a new one containing windows 8 or 10 would that possibly work and could I then put the windows 7 hard drive into the laptop with XP?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i can assure you that the laptop running XP will not have the power or memory to use Windows 10. its nice to recycle olf laptops but only viable with Linux and if you know what you are doing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I went on a website Techadvisor.co.uk who said it was possible to upgrade from XP to Windows 10 but queried the viability of paying over £100 for Window 10 against putting the money towards a new laptop.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I went on a website Techadvisor.co.uk who said it was possible to upgrade from XP to Windows 10 but queried the viability of paying over £100 for Window 10 against putting the money towards a new laptop.

Simple question BG, is the processor on your laptop 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster?

If not, just forget about Windows 10.

I’ve no idea what base spec pc Techadvisor were thinking of, but XP only requires a minimum of 233-megahertz (MHz), a quarter of the processing speed Windows 10 requires.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have had great problems trying to reach HP Support so have written to their Bracknell office in the hope that it will be passed on to the appropriate department. I also contacted Acer about the one with XP and they sent me an email back within an hour giving me a telephone number to call, totally different service to HP.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I have had great problems trying to reach HP Support so have written to their Bracknell office in the hope that it will be passed on to the appropriate department. I also contacted Acer about the one with XP and they sent me an email back within an hour giving me a telephone number to call, totally different service to HP.

JEEZ! I gave you the email address of the MD of the company days ago! My previous experience shows that once you involve the big boss, things get sorted faster than you can say 'Omsung Phine'.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
JEEZ! I gave you the email address of the MD of the company days ago! My previous experience shows that once you involve the big boss, things get sorted faster than you can say 'Omsung Phine'.

I didnt want to involve the MD on such a mundane thing but if I get no success with my letter I will follow it up to him.

What I dont understand and somebody may be able to help and explain .

How much space does Windows 7 take as I keep getting the message that I have only a small amount of space left, Low Disc Space, but My Computer shows
C drive 0.99GB free of 55.9GB
D Drive 118MB free of 18.4 GB.
System reserved (G) 6.41 MB of 99.9MB
9 programs installed total 393 MB

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yes, but you won't understand the answers and will just bludgeon on asking question after question without understanding or linking any of the answers. I read this thread because I have Windows 10 issues of my own and, by crikey, I can assure you that curious or not, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO IT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here