Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Money for the manager

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I couldn't really care what they spent in relation to the top 10 european spenders as they are not on the list. Gross for £3m seems to be one of the best bits of business in recent years especially with where the market currently is

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think about £10m or so

If that is true what a bloody great achievement by Rafa. A manager who i rate highly. Not that you care and can't blame you.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Brighton have done very well this season and Hughton has done a great job however this notion that Brighton have stayed up without spending money is just not true. One of the top 10 spenders in Europe tells a slightly different story than Chris doing it on a shoestring:

CIES Football Observatory net spending club by club (figures in euros):

€343m PSG (€418m spent & €75m incoming)

€189m AC Milan (€250 and €61m)

€186m Man Utd (€197m and €11m)

€173m Man City (€282m and €109m)

€106m Chelsea (€236 and €130m)

€68m Bayern Munich (€102m and €34m)

€62m Marseille (€66m and €4m)

€54m Brighton (€54m and €0)

€51m Liverpool (€105m and €54m)

€48m Huddersfield (€55m and €7m)

A fair point, but I don't know who is claiming that though, certainly isn't any of us. Media love-in?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Worth remembering that transfer fees are not the major guide to how well a football team is likely to do. Money spent on wages is actually the relevant metric. We probably have the second lowest wage budget in the division. Us, Hudders, Swansea and Burnley likely being the minnows by wage spend.

Have we spent nothing? No

Have we spent shed-loads? No

Have we spent well? Absobloodylutely YES

Huge credit to the recruitment team, ably backed up by PB and TB

But we wouldn't have been where we are today without the recruitment teams uncovering some gems that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We had a relatively high spending power because we had a bunch of players on relatively low wages. More established clubs will have higher quality players (or flops) on greater wages, and so there is less freedom for them to make adjustments to their squad. When they do get rid of players, they can often get decent fees from doing so. When the spend on wages for each team are released next year we'll be right down there at the bottom with Huddersfield (who also had relatively high spending power for the same reasons). Wage bills also count as 'spend'. We have spend money, but we've spent it extremely efficiently. Our recruitment team have done a fantastic job relative the budget available.

It’s good to see someone else saved me the hassle of explaining the financial basics. Cheers.

Essan128

Aug 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand.
Wakey's alright. He's been on here yonks.

I use to think he was OK until I read this on Ready To Go.

This is you isn't it?@Wakeytom

Wakey2.png

What utter crap.

Seems you like to slag off the local team from the city you chose to move to. :tosser:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I use to think he was OK until I read this on Ready To Go.

This is you isn't it [MENTION=19107]wakeytom[/MENTION]

View attachment 96675

What utter crap.

Seems you like to slag off the local team from the city you chose to move to. :tosser:

If you mention someone make sure it turns blue like this
[MENTION=19107]wakeytom[/MENTION]

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think you will find that is tongue in cheek to a fellow exile

Don't look tongue in cheek to me. Must a North East thing then.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Yes of course it was. :nono:

Why was it not? Please read some of the other comments in the thread and the name of the person who liked it. I have already said that in this thread that Brighton have had a great season. I also had a season ticket myself at the Amex for the first couple of seasons

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
That incoming amount is wrong, they stopped free tea and coffee in the 1901 so there’s a fair wack right there.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I do pop over and read the Sunderland forum a fair bit. They are on the whole very complimentary towards us and especially ex Mag Hughton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here