Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Six Games In, how do you feel about our season so far?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Everton, Newcastle and Palace.

wow!

Apart from Newcastle at home to Chelsea (which surpassed anything we have done in regards to negativity) , I've not seen any of them set up as negatively as us.

we'll be camped in our own half when all three of these teams visit the Amex.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I'm a bit, well, I don't know... kind of a bit, well... meh. Not just about us, but top level football in general. I still care about our club, deeply, but akin to a girl I had a crush on back in High School, the passion that burned my love upon a pyre of carnal desire... well it's more like a smouldering damp pile of leaves, unlikely to kindle much but a coughing fit and a smoke infused old knitted sweater. Sure I'm trying, yet alas, I know my effort will eventually turn to resignation and ultimately I'll go back indoors and shut the curtains. No amount of super slow mo high def dry ice tv bollocks can convince me that I have anything to be really excited about. The best we can hope for is a perennial struggle to serve the bread sticks and cheese nibbles at the top table... chock full of cash rich spectres, of whom I understand nor know very little... I can no longer relate easily to a game I played and loved more than life itself when I was young, I fear I'm drawing close to the edge of the evnt horizon and soon, very soon, I'm going to disintegrate into the black hole that looms before my waking eyes.

That's how I feel right now.
Wonderful stuff! #metoo

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
wow!

Apart from Newcastle at home to Chelsea (which surpassed anything we have done in regards to negativity) , I've not seen any of them set up as negatively as us.

Palace v Newcastle was surely the most boring game of the season.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Man C away..... it does not get any easier does it?

He is going to have to make some changes ...surely..... Please.
I'm guessing that Stephens is not going to be fit so there will be one change but I would be surprised if there is much more than that. In a game that we are going to have to defend a lot the Montoya/Knockaert Bong/March combinations are not going to change. And the Bissouma/Kayal/Propper central three did OK against Spurs.

Oh, and in answer to the OP's question: satisfied.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Think we're about par for where we should be to stay up.

As others have said, Huddersfield look shot at the moment and Cardiff just don't have the quality. After those two it's looking like Us, Saints, Newcastle, Burnley and Fulham will fight it out for the last spot, we're all much of a muchness so whoever gets it will probably consider themselves unlucky. Everyone else has too much quality, unless Dwane Dibley gets injured then they'll be dragged in also.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've typed up a couple of responses to this question and none of them have seemed right which goes some way to summing up how I feel about the season.

It's going to be my last season for a little while this one so I'm desperately trying to enjoy it but honestly I'm a bit out of love with football generally. I still enjoy the games when I'm there but the whole idea of actually going fills me with a bit of dread. Though that could be anxiety rather than anything to do with the football.

Regards the actual football I don't think we're doing too bad but our first half performances have left me a little underwhelmed. And I've entirely lost patience with Locadia. Andone should have been given a run-out on Saturday.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think he does, yes.

Do we as fans have the patience needed to allow the club to develop to a point where we are challenging Everton? I hope so

Don't you feel like it would be reasonable to expect the performances to have improved from last season? After every away game, bar two or three, last season the post-match press conference started the same way, "we weren't at the level required" or "we didn't start quickly enough". Well, another summer of vast investment later, the story remains the same and there's no reason for that. We should be getting better but instead we're playing last season's team.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bit bored to be honest . Spent money in the summer and aren’t using any of them.

Bissouma only getting a game cause Gross is out and Montoya is in cause Bruno is close to drawing his pension .

I could understand Hewoughton cautious tactics in our first season but we’ve spent £100 million since promotion and are still mainly playing the championship line up. Either the manager hates change or the recruitment hasn’t been as good as we all thought . Who knows .

Probably the most boring team in the league to watch this season , which is a shame .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was with you right up to the last sentence, which I'm pleased to say is absolute nonsense - we're not even close to being the most boring team in the league to watch. 2 of our last 3 games have seen fightbacks from 2 down! Conversely, one of my Nigel mates decided to "treat" his 7 year old to a pair of STs at Selhurst. He's seen 3 of their 4 home league games and hasn't seen a home goal yet. *snigger*. But at least they actually look like scoring. Huddersfield don't, and most of the time Newcastle don't either, and nor do Cardiff.

Additionally, Albion games have seen more penalties given in this calendar year than watching any other club (17). You could easily argue therefore that there are chances at both ends when watching the Albion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pretty much as expected - we know Hughton takes time blooding new players so not sure why everyone's getting so flappy about that.

Think we look decent overall, we all know there's not enough conviction in first halves but otherwise happy with the progress from last season that we're seeing in games against the bigger sides.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
From our first 6 games I expected 5 points.

We have 5 points from our first 6 games. Not quite in the manner I expected but we are par.

This is without our two attacking summer acquisitions having started yet and Izquierdo due to return.

It could be a HELL of a lot worse.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Going ok to be honest. We beat United at home and have fought back well against Fulham and Southampton. Much to look forward to.

Ill discipline has cost us defensively and we are leaking too many goals.

As to the new players, I reckon £30 million to £50 million buys a good Premier League footballer. The new arrivals cost far less than that and need to settle. We will see if they make it in due course. I was watching Fulham at the weekend and they introduced their new £30 million player off the bench.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
wow!

Well actually I watched the Palace vs Newcastle game on Sat and Newcastle just came to defend and they were horrible to watch. Even there counter attacks were boring!

For me I expected to see more of the newbies, as has been said we are (mostly) playing the same team from the Championship even after 3 Prem windows. It'll be clearer where we are after the Man City game, where the next 8 or 9 games we'll be playing in our "league".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What

Were you even watching the same game, I didn't at any point feel like Spurs would score at any given moment. Yes Ryan made one good save, but what else did he do in the 1st half until we conceded the penalty, nothing of any real note.

Yes Spurs had a lot of the ball, but this wasn't resulting in save and save from Ryan, there wasn't a need to throw bodies at numerous shots, or shots hitting the woodwork or easy changes being missed.

If you really felt Spurs were going to score at any moment, I wouldn't be surprised if you believe that City have scored 5 in the pre match warm up.

I can see where the poster is coming from. True they didn’t get into good positions too many times but when a team has that much possession they’re only an Albion mistake away from scoring....and that’s how they eventually did score.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I feel ok.

It’s irritating that our performance levels are wildly inconsistent between and within games. Oddly this isn’t so much individual players as the whole team are either really good or really bad.

What you’ve got to remember this season, is that there’s never been a league in the history of football where 20 teams have been able to amass such a concentration of talent. So you’ve got 2 promoted teams paying (at a total guess) 5 or 6 players each 80k per week and anyone shining in any of the top divisions around Europe, (unless they are at Bayern or Barca etc) are getting hoovered up by premier league relegation candidates including us. This results in us conceding goals like the one we did at Southampton (my guess is that 5 years ago whoever their holding midfielder was wouldn’t have been able to hit a ball like that and whoever Watford’s winger was wouldn’t have been signed from Juventus) and conceding goals to world cup winners.

Because of this, it’s difficult to be too harsh on our team. We are going to have to continue to rely on superior team spirit and organisation to overcome greater individual talent. This will come into sharp focus for the West Ham game. That said I do think we need to be braver than we are.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's a marathon, not a sprint and I'm going to enjoy the ride :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here