Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Statesman article on Chris Hughton

Rubbish

Feb 26, 2018
Exactly my point. Shame it couldn't just talk about Hughton and his success as a player and manager. Should have known skin colour will be the driving force of the article.It's why i never read that left wing crap.

Rubbish

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
It is good to see Chris spoken of so highly, and certainly well deserved. I second the " hands off" call. I am sure T B would fight tooth and nail to keep him. Whatever we pay him, he is worth more.

In this day and age, I do not get this "glass ceiling" for black coaches. Surely success is everything and if a man can deliver , the fans would love him no matter his ethnicity? Do black players not try for coaching careers because of the perception that they will not find work?

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
It is good to see Chris spoken of so highly, and certainly well deserved. I second the " hands off" call. I am sure T B would fight tooth and nail to keep him. Whatever we pay him, he is worth more.

In this day and age, I do not get this "glass ceiling" for black coaches. Surely success is everything and if a man can deliver , the fans would love him no matter his ethnicity? Do black players not try for coaching careers because of the perception that they will not find work?

I understand this point of view, and hope you're right. But surely if Chris Hughton - who we know to be as measured and fair as anybody in football - thinks that there is "still so far to go", then we might at least take that on board and think that there might be some truth in it.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Wow! He drove from Brighton to London and BACK on a Monday night! Yes a Monday night!! Whatever next? Popping down to Boundary Road Tescos for a loaf of bread on a Weds afternoon?

Apart from that the article was ok although the author I suspect may be a Spurs fan.

larus

Actually, to be pedantic. CH is not Black. That has as much validity as him going to Ghana and them saying he is white. His dad was black and his mum Caucasian, so he’s mixed race.

Notwithstanding that, he does deserve to be linked to bigger jobs. I just hope that if this happens he realises that he’s onto a good thing here - club, chairman, fans, location. But then again, I may be biased :lol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Wow! He drove from Brighton to London and BACK on a Monday night! Yes a Monday night!! Whatever next? Popping down to Boundary Road Tescos for a loaf of bread on a Weds afternoon?

Apart from that the article was ok although the author I suspect may be a Spurs fan.

I thought that was bollox lazy journalism anyway because he drives back to his London home after training anyway I thought so not sure he would have driven back to Brighton after the meeting in any case.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Actually, to be pedantic. CH is not Black. That has as much validity as him going to Ghana and them saying he is white. His dad was black and his mum Caucasian, so he’s mixed race.
But then again, I may be biased :lol:

Maybe you should let him know.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I thought that was bollox lazy journalism anyway because he drives back to his London home after training anyway I thought so not sure he would have driven back to Brighton after the meeting in any case.

Moved his family down to Brighton sometime ago as he mentioned when given the freedom of the city

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Having a mixed race manager just shows the progressive nature of our club. To be honest to the vast majority of our fans his ethnicity is completely irrelevant, he's just Chris, and thank God Tony had the foresight to employ the best candidate for the job. Fans of other clubs must be envious of our set up and our manager, but l can't honestly see he going anywhere even if a top six club came in for him. He's building a dynasty here in Brighton and is loved by the board, players and fans. He just seems to be a sickeningly nice guy as well! It's a great time to be an Albion fan with our chairman, and manager who are assembling a squad that can realistically challenge in the top half of the best league in the world!

larus

Having a mixed race manager just shows the progressive nature of our club. To be honest to the vast majority of our fans his ethnicity is completely irrelevant, he's just Chris, and thank God Tony had the foresight to employ the best candidate for the job. Fans of other clubs must be envious of our set up and our manager, but l can't honestly see he going anywhere even if a top six club came in for him. He's building a dynasty here in Brighton and is loved by the board, players and fans. He just seems to be a sickeningly nice guy as well! It's a great time to be an Albion fan with our chairman, and manager who are assembling a squad that can realistically challenge in the top half of the best league in the world!

As nice as he is, I’m sure he’s also quite tough. Not in nasty way; just in a ‘I won’t take your shit” type of way.

The dynasty word was supposedly used by his daughter in referring to what he views is happening here. I can’t remember who posted this snippet, but I do feel as though the current environment wining the club is “Carlsberg” :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If Ian Wright is suggesting that CH doesn't get considered for jobs such as Everton manager (after all, why's the article, including his quote?), because he isn't white skinned, I think that's bollocks.

Personally I think CH is a better coach and manager, than Pulis, Hughes and Allardyce. But they have reputations as successful PL managers and for keeping teams up. Whereas CH had an unfair reputation of struggling in the PL. I wouldn't imagine that Kenwright, Moshiri and the rest of the Everton Board are racist in the slightest.

It's just going to be long term evolution, with more black managers and coaches appointed as time passes.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
TBH I never think of CH as a black manager, in the same way I never thought of Sami Hyppia as a blond manager. I am happy to see the BAME candidates given the same opportunity as all but all managers need to deliver and that has nothing to do with ethnicity. There may be an issue with black players not wanting to be managers or not taking their coaching qualifications or they may prefer the media root. I don’t know but the article didn’t really say anything insightful or new.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Very nice 10 minute slot on Brighton on Football Focus today.Special recognition for Hughton and Gross.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here