Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Maybe some clubs are starting to treat the game as a business and not a vanity project. Leicester blew it apart two seasons ago and others will be feeling more confident given their performance. We all applauded the £170m we will get from the Premier League but for us two highly paid, high transfer fee players would take 25% of that. Huddersfield and Bournemouth have spent, but still they are as likely as ourselves to be in the relegation zone. One or two players, in our affordability bracket, will not change our prospects, if there was no hope CH would have left. We need to finish fourth from bottom by one GOAL to have made a success of the season, we need to be sensible and pragmatic about our prospects.

Corrected for you.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Huddersfield and Bournemouth have spent, but still they are as likely as ourselves to be in the relegation zone.
How did you work that one out?

One or two players, in our affordability bracket, will not change our prospects.
This one is even more baffling.

We need to finish fourth from bottom by one point to have made a success of the season, we need to be sensible and pragmatic about our prospects.
Can agree on that at least.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
most peeople on here seem to think we need somewhere between 4-6 players in... and lets say we have 30-40 million to spend.... many people think its way less...

Getting 5 premier league experienced players in for that.... practically no chance with prices the way they are..

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
most peeople on here seem to think we need somewhere between 4-6 players in... and lets say we have 30-40 million to spend.... many people think its way less...

Getting 5 premier league experienced players in for that.... practically no chance with prices the way they are..

I prefer Championship football anyway. :shrug:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I don't think that's really true, is it ? So, say, 4 players and having £40m to spend, can we really not get experienced players for £10m a pop - depending on age, contract length and wages. One example Curtis Davies moved for £1m - ok he's not top grade, but a reasonable player with prem experience.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Maybe some clubs are starting to treat the game as a business and not a vanity project. Leicester blew it apart two seasons ago and others will be feeling more confident given their performance. We all applauded the £170m we will get from the Premier League but for us two highly paid, high transfer fee players would take 25% of that. Huddersfield and Bournemouth have spent, but still they are as likely as ourselves to be in the relegation zone. One or two players, in our affordability bracket, will not change our prospects, if there was no hope CH would have left. We need to finish fourth from bottom by one point to have made a success of the season, we need to be sensible and pragmatic about our prospects.

Hate to break it to you but think Brighton are way behind Bournemouth when it comes to relegation survival. I think Hudderfield are at a similar level at the moment due to them being an unknown like Brighton.

I think your current squad is more than good enough to survive its all about mentality and sticking to you principles even when the going gets tough, and trust me it will get very tough at times.

Your maybe a couple of players away from having a very good shot at survival in my opinion.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Prospective signings won't sign with us as they don't want to play Chamoionship football next season.

The only way we will get signings, is when time's almost up and they've got nowhere else to go.

- Or, offer them big enough wages to make them not care about playing Championship football. But that ain't happening.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Couldn't give two hoots we are going down anyway!

Ha! Yeah, it occasionally crosses my mind that we shouldn't bother signing anyone - and certainly not for silly money. Let's keep all the Sky cash on the assumption that we're going to get relegated anyway, and then with a massive war chest we can build a better squad in the Championship and come back stronger!

NOTE TO NSC: I said it 'occasionally crosses my mind', not 'this is what I think we should do'. So don't anyone reply saying it's a stupid idea!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

The only players that will come at a premium are Striker, CM and potentially Winger depending on the quality we're after and how much faith CH has in Murphy/Skalak.

The Suttner fee will probably be around 3M, if we get a 3rd GK in he will cost next to nothing, perhaps even a loan. Gomez won't cost anything other than wages and perhaps a token fee. That leaves quite a lot of money for 2/3 positions and if you consider what we were prepared to offer for Delaney (11-12M) then that is in line with the total amount you have suggested.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Ha! Yeah, it occasionally crosses my mind that we shouldn't bother signing anyone - and certainly not for silly money. Let's keep all the Sky cash on the assumption that we're going to get relegated anyway, and then with a massive war chest we can build a better squad in the Championship and come back stronger!

NOTE TO NSC: I said it 'occasionally crosses my mind', not 'this is what I think we should do'. So don't anyone reply saying it's a stupid idea!

It's a stupid idea!.............:lolol: :shrug:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Hate to break it to you but think Brighton are way behind Bournemouth when it comes to relegation survival. I think Hudderfield are at a similar level at the moment due to them being an unknown like Brighton.

I think your current squad is more than good enough to survive its all about mentality and sticking to you principles even when the going gets tough, and trust me it will get very tough at times.

Your maybe a couple of players away from having a very good shot at survival in my opinion.

Knock one out over your picture of Eddie on the wall or your Jordan Ibe quilt cover if you've got a spare 5 minutes rather than bothering us with your Bournemouth cheerleading.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Knock one out over your picture of Eddie on the wall or your Jordan Ibe quilt cover if you've got a spare 5 minutes rather than bothering us with your Bournemouth cheerleading.

Ouch what a bitter response.

In all honestly Brightons best players next season will be the ones that got you promoted. Thats how we survived the supposed relegation that was guranteed and Watford the same.

I wouldn't worry too much about transfers at this stage as you never get good value when you first come up.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Prospective signings won't sign with us as they don't want to play Chamoionship football next season.

The only way we will get signings, is when time's almost up and they've got nowhere else to go.

- Or, offer them big enough wages to make them not care about playing Championship football. But that ain't happening.

Imagine most of our signings this season will have relegation release clauses.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Ouch what a bitter response.

In all honestly Brightons best players next season will be the ones that got you promoted. Thats how we survived the supposed relegation that was guranteed and Watford the same.

I wouldn't worry too much about transfers at this stage as you never get good value when you first come up.

Watford signed a lot of players, in their promotion season and in their first PL season.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Watford signed a lot of players, in their promotion season and in their first PL season.

Name any that were any good though.

The players that kept them up were mostly already there from the championship.

Deeney, Ingalo, Gomes, Cathcart, Abdi, Anya

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here