Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 104th Tour de France thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it me, or does Thomas have more than his fair share of crashes? Bad luck, bad judgement, poor reading of situations, or bad luck????

He has 'more than his fair share' of bad luck.
But at some point someone has to ask 'why is that'?

What is it about G that makes Warren Bargill spear him into a telegraph pole, (then ride off)

Apparently yesterday was down to Majka.

The fella in charge of the Giro, went to France to personally apologise to G & other bloke about this:-

i might be wrong, but he looks to be next to the crashee here:-

Youtubing Geraint Thomas crash is scary:-

Plenty more where they came from.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The lowlands isn't a happy hunting ground, either:-

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
IMG_0771.PNG

What's left of G's jersey.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He has 'more than his fair share' of bad luck.
But at some point someone has to ask 'why is that'?

The one at the Giro is a case in point; look how wide the rest of his team have gone around the motorcycle and look where Thomas is. He is almost 1m to the left of the wheel of his teammate, with a space of about 3m to the right of him. You have to ask how he got so close to the guy that hits the motorbike?

One thing you can say is he is expert at falling off. For a lot of people the Barguil one into the woods would have been end of Tour. For Thomas with falling-off-know-how, he takes the impact with the telegraph pole to skilfully control his momentum, and finish the stage, all be it with lost favourite sunglasses.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Imagine G riding for Rabobank in the past... He'd have been lucky to finish any race with that lot!

Mind you, they had Gesink on their team so probably no room for two G's. Guess who crashed out yesterday as well, just as he was in fine form too :facepalm:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've found myself wondering for the last week... what is the mavic neutral service bike? Mavic don't make bikes, so I am guessing it is a re-branded bike made by another manufacturer.

Google doesn't seem to know the answer (except for the fact that in 2012, they used re-badged Cannondale bikes), but NSC always knows...

mavic-tour-de-france-neutral-support---2-1499090276985-v0v8l6n5fdk2-630-80.jpg

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
I've found myself wondering for the last week... what is the mavic neutral service bike? Mavic don't make bikes, so I am guessing it is a re-branded bike made by another manufacturer.

Google doesn't seem to know the answer (except for the fact that in 2012, they used re-badged Cannondale bikes), but NSC always knows...

mavic-tour-de-france-neutral-support---2-1499090276985-v0v8l6n5fdk2-630-80.jpg

Two years ago they were Canyon's and still look to be...

https://www.bikerumor.com/2015/07/05/tdf2015-tech-whats-on-those-mavic-neutral-support-bikes/

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks - for some reason that has been driving me mad! I recon there is a market for neural service branded bikes... I'd ride one!

You're the only one that would!!

They're a bit of an oddity these days, what with the actual bikes being tuned to a thousandth of an inch, and that's before cleats, gears and riding positions are taken into account.

After Porte's crash Dan Martin needed a wheel, slapped a neutral service one on and promptly crashed again, as his brakes wouldn't work.

There's a reason Froome waved Mavic past on Sunday, preferring to wait for his team car, he's probably still having nightmares over this:-

20165607-323417.jpg

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
You're the only one that would!!

They're a bit of an oddity these days, what with the actual bikes being tuned to a thousandth of an inch, and that's before cleats, gears and riding position is taken into account.

After Porte's crash Dan Martin needed a wheel, slapped a neutral service one on and promptly crashed again, as his brakes wouldn't work.

There's a reason Froome waved Mavic past on Sunday, preferring to wait for his team car, he's probably still having nightmares over this:-

View attachment 87074
Absolutely!

Apparently there are 3 bikes on the neutral service this year set up ready for the top 3 GC guys as Mavic were worried about a repeat of last year. Also, the other 3 bikes each have mountain bike style easy-adjustable seats and each have a different pedal system.

Ventoux was farcical last year!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
24 consecutive days in yellow for Team Sky.

Boohoo now looking odds on to take the Champs Elysse stage.

That's it that's all I've got.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here