Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

KODI.... Kodi users could get TEN years in prison because of controversial new law

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes but there is something in there that now regards watching a stream as copyright infringement when it was a bit murky before.

watching a stream, as with downloading, tape/cd copying, has always been illegal. there was provisions for copying software for backups and there may have been something covering video taping/PVRing of TV for timeshifting recently, though that may have only been guidance. confusion has reigned due to knowledge of US with their "fair use" but UK law never had that and was far more straight forward - copying is illegal.

and as far as i can tell, the new law has made its provisions specifically against those making a copy public. it hasnt been published online yet so going by the original draft, it seems to me to not apply the blanket "copying is illegal" unless thats still covered by earlier copyright law, so may be less strict than before.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
watching a stream, as with downloading, tape/cd copying, has always been illegal.

I don't think that's true. I'm sure there were legal precedents that demonstrated that watching a stream was not illegal as long as you in no way saved the content. It said the broadcasting of it was illegal onto the internet, but viewing that broadcast wasn't, unless you saved it.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I don't think that's true. I'm sure there were legal precedents that demonstrated that watching a stream was not illegal as long as you in no way saved the content. It said the broadcasting of it was illegal onto the internet, but viewing that broadcast wasn't, unless you saved it.

This is exactly right. The European court deemed that streaming was making temporary copies back in 2014 (I think, can't remember the exact date). Temporary copies are excluded from copyright laws therefore streaming, but not downloading or sharing, was legal.

Last week they changed this ruling to bring temporary copies under the same rules as downloading.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
While I agree that it's a ridiculous price to have to pay, I can't imagine running a cinema is cheap.

From what I understand the cost of everything is so high because film distributors charge extortionate fees for the rights to screen their films. This gets passed onto the customer. I was criticising the film companies rather than the cinemas themselves.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From what I understand the cost of everything is so high because film distributors charge extortionate fees for the rights to screen their films. This gets passed onto the customer. I was criticising the film companies rather than the cinemas themselves.
If the rights are a big part of the price, I agree with you. But given the size of the cinemas and location, I imagine the buildings themselves cost a lot, certainly down here.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The TVADDONS website has been shut down because of legal actions against them for copyright infringement with the unofficial KODI addons they offer. This morning I could not find any programs at all with the search function in the Exodus add on, which is the one i use nearly all the time. Anyone else got problems withKODIover the last 3 or 4 days and have you got any ideas what to do about it?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It's done. All the developers are leaving. You need to follow all the forums or twitter feeds to keep up with it.

RIP KODI

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. I rarely bother with the twitter feeds because I get swamped. Fortunately, I dont rely on KODI much but I'm only up to season 2 of Breaking Bad and i would have liked to get up to date before KODI was killed. Damn the corporate bullies.

Exodus running well in my android TV.
Gutted Phoenix gone.
I have signed up to real debrid and the streams are great.

The free stuff stays of Kodi are gone. Great whilst it lasted. The down side of something getting so popular

I am sure a replacement will appear soon.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks for the update. I rarely bother with the twitter feeds because I get swamped. Fortunately, I dont rely on KODI much but I'm only up to season 2 of Breaking Bad and i would have liked to get up to date before KODI was killed. Damn the corporate bullies.

could buy the boxset?

boik

I think there is a lot of confusion over exactly what Kodi itself is. It's just a media player, and when I used Kodi and then OSMC I used it for just that: playing MY media around the house. The problem came when people wrote addons that could be used to obtain (better not say "steal") media that should be paid for. Kodi should not be illegal. Dodgy addons probably should be.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I see TVADDONS are going to relaunch in a different form which, they say, will be definitely legal. I have Exodus working OK but I can only search for People, not for TV shows. It seems this is linked to Trakt suspending their API key or something..I was still able to find Breaking Bad by searching for Bryan Cranston. Panic over for now.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I think there is a lot of confusion over exactly what Kodi itself is. It's just a media player, and when I used Kodi and then OSMC I used it for just that: playing MY media around the house. The problem came when people wrote addons that could be used to obtain (better not say "steal") media that should be paid for. Kodi should not be illegal. Dodgy addons probably should be.

KODI isn't illegal and is not under attack. The unofficial addons are under attack.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Coming at this from the filmmakers POV it obviously frustrating when you spend two years on a project and then within days of it's release you can watch it for free all over the internet.

Nowt you can do though. I try and tell myself that people who stream things illegally were never going to spend money on it anyway so they are not a lost customer so to speak... and at least they've seen it.

Saying that the ones who rob it, watch it and then go on to Amazon to slag it off can all f**k off!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I went to the Odeon on a rainy evening to see a film. I bought my ticket, a medium popcorn and a medium pop. The cost for this, for one person? £17.80

It's their own ****ing fault people pirate their piece of shit films.
Quite right! I didn't want to pay those prices, so I pay for Sky at home and wanted a new OLED TV, so popped tp Currys. The cost? Four and a half grand! So I nicked it.

It's their own ****ing fault people nick their shit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Quite right! I didn't want to pay those prices, so I pay for Sky at home and wanted a new OLED TV, so popped tp Currys. The cost? Four and a half grand! So I nicked it.

It's their own ****ing fault people nick their shit.

It's not the price of the film I particularly object to. It's the £8.80 for popcorn worth about 6p (plus overheads obvs) and a bucket of pop made from syrup that would cost about 3p.

If I wanted an OLED telly, whatever that is, I would pay the going rate because I doubt it costs 9p to produce.

boik

KODI isn't illegal and is not under attack. The unofficial addons are under attack.

I know that, but lots of people on here keeping shouting that KODI is being shut down. Taking content you are not entitled to was always going to be targeted so not sure why people are up in arms. If you found you could bypass your electricity meter, and then they finally caught up with you and stopped you doing it no-one would say it was an outrage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here