Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Petition to help disabled people have access to the beach

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We're lucky to live near the sea, but many disabled people can't get to it as there's no disabled access. Please have a look at this, and sign if you're so inclined:

https://phantom.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?Id=601

It reads:

"Beach and seafront access petition
We the undersigned petition Brighton & Hove Council to improve access to the city’s beach for all disabled people and those with access needs, including children, elderly people and people using mobility equipment.
Many local residents cannot equally access the seafront, the beach and the sea as current beach access is not adequate for people with a wide range of needs and impairments.

We have sent people to the moon, but cannot enable all people to get down into our sea.

Improved access will also support the reputation of Brighton & Hove as a forward-thinking and inclusive tourist destination."

Thanks

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I know this is all well meaning, but where does it stop - I am expecting a disability lift or ramp to be put into my local lighthouse real soon!

Oh, and I look after 3 disabled children...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Done. Stuff like this is important.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I know this is all well meaning, but where does it stop - I am expecting a disability lift or ramp to be put into my local lighthouse real soon!

Oh, and I look after 3 disabled children...

I'm not sure that exploring ways of enabling people with disabilities to access the beach with more comfort comes in the 'but where does it stop ?' category.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nice. Definitely support this.

Wish the petition would specify what it has in mind though.
Yes, I probably need to do some research and see what solutions the rest of the world have come up with (probably nothing).

B&H council already provides beach wheelchairs.
I don't think they're particularly useful. Some kind of ramp would be good, but I don't know how. Hopefully a smart engineer can come up with something.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do you think access to the beach is about as important as access to the local lighthouse?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, I probably need to do some research and see what solutions the rest of the world have come up with (probably nothing).

I don't think they're particularly useful. Some kind of ramp would be good, but I don't know how. Hopefully a smart engineer can come up with something.

Boardwalks. The same as they have done here in Shoreham. Very simple.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have signed.

Surely some of the proposed finance would go towards beach wheelchairs? we have quite a few ramps down to the beach - it's the stones that cause the problem.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Do you think access to the beach is about as important as access to the local lighthouse?

No, I was being flippant. I was trying to demonstrate, in a poor way, that not everything is accessible to everyone as it could be. Unfortunately when Mother Nature designed beaches she clearly didn’t take into account those less able.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bit confused what the expectation is here, there are ramps down to the beach front. pebble beaches aren't especially easy surfaces for able bodied once the level drops off as it does at Brighton. boarded over areas, terraces etc?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm not sure that exploring ways of enabling people with disabilities to access the beach with more comfort comes in the 'but where does it stop ?' category.

I know, but how? Logistically and financially I can’t see how this can be achieved. It would be nice to know what ideas the petitioners have in mind...

I have been looking further at this and there are several disabled access beaches, but as far as I can see they are all sandy beaches, with shallow gradients to the sea, which couldn’t be further from Brighton’s geology.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No, I was being flippant. I was trying to demonstrate, in a poor way, that not everything is accessible to everyone as it could be. Unfortunately when Mother Nature designed beaches she clearly didn’t take into account those less able.

However, I've just come back from Formentara which is Beach Heaven. On one the main "town beaches" was very encouraged to see people in wheelchairs enjoying the beach. Just some ramps downs.

Finance shouldn't be a consideration unless it is very difficult technically. Some people need steps, others need ramps.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
However, I've just come back from Formentara which is Beach Heaven. On one the main "town beaches" was very encouraged to see people in wheelchairs enjoying the beach. Just some ramps downs.

Finance shouldn't be a consideration unless it is very difficult technically. Some people need steps, others need ramps.

Access to the seafront is one thing, and yes disabled access should be improved, but access to the sea is a different kettle of fish (excuse pun).

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Sure i saw something recently on the news or in the press about wheelchairs that have been designed for pebble beach access in mind.
Cant remember where sorry, but they did look like a fantastic aid for those that cant get to the front of the beach......ie sea

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Depends if you are the lighthouse keeper. Would they employ someone disabled to be a lighthouse keeper ? No...Bloody discrimination again. What am I talking about ? No idea whatsoever.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
As others have said, please explain what precisely you'd like to see them do here?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As others have said, please explain what precisely you'd like to see them do here?

I'd imagine make the beach as accessible as possible to a person in a wheelchair.

I often describe people in wheelchairs as "invisible". You very very rarely see them, but then you realise you are somewhere they can't get. London particularly difficult obviously, Ever tried getting on the tube in a wheelchair ?

Just needs the will.

Again, amazed in Formentara. Can't get there by plane. but you can get a wheelchair on the beach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here