Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tv money should some go to grassroots football

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The FA are the governing body so could say we want 10% of the TV money or we will not permit you to enter a ground or televise from it. They are the sole arbitors as to who enters a ground for whatever purpose as being the governing body
they have the ultimate final say. If they say no televising of football that is it and no court in the land could "change that

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It will stay at the top. Probably a token increase in money coming down. If it was business before this is very serious business now. Cut throat, full on capitalism.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It would be nice if there was sufficient investment in 3G pitches to provide these facilities to accreditted clubs for free. Training/coaching facilities are one of the high ticket items.
If they want more coaches and ones with better qualifications (including first aid, emergency aid and safeguarding) they need to provide a lot more courses and reduce the price.
All this will require a bigger slice of the enormous cake, else we will continue to rely on the investment in Germany, Holland and Spain to provide our future footballers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot see how 3g pitches are really helping grass roots football. To me grass roots football is the lowly Saturday afternoon Sunday morning teams who pay a very high fee to rent a council pitch. 3g pitches would only benefit teams probably above West Sussex League status who have their own pitch. It wouldnt help George & Dragon who play at Broadwater Green or Preston Park.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I cannot see how 3g pitches are really helping grass roots football. To me grass roots football is the lowly Saturday afternoon Sunday morning teams who pay a very high fee to rent a council pitch. 3g pitches would only benefit teams probably above West Sussex League status who have their own pitch. It wouldnt help George & Dragon who play at Broadwater Green or Preston Park.
Grass roots it starts with children playing football at 5 years old on slopping muddy long grass bumpy pitches which only stronger kids can cope with and doesn't help with developing skills. That's grass roots football.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As a secretary and coach of a grassroots club, all we want are affordable 3G venues in which to play and train on throughout the winter.

Agree 100% on the 3G venues, far too many matches and training sessions are called off due to bad weather.
With the winter break and then bad weather kids are not playing matches for two months th Dec/Jan.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I have two sons that play football and every winter matches are called off due to the weather, cheaper rent on 3G pitches would enable matches to go ahead.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Grass roots it starts with children playing football at 5 years old on slopping muddy long grass bumpy pitches which only stronger kids can cope with and doesn't help with developing skills. That's grass roots football.

I would agree with 3 g pitches at some schools for the young to use but not for a village team with their own pitch like East Preston or Storrington or similar standard.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If you have 3G pitches more games can be played every day without damage meaning more children / adults playing football or other sports.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you have 3G pitches more games can be played every day without damage meaning more children / adults playing football or other sports.

My point is why should a small West Sussex League team playing on their own pitch in Stedham or Graffham be given the money to build a 3 g pitch that not many would use. I would agree with Durrington High School or similar getting one. as it would be well used by all ages. You then come to the point that they would charge for the use and then benefit financially in a way others cant.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Yes but they will kill the golden goose that lays the golden egg.
If they want the PL is to continue to be the best league in the world we need to produce world class players in the UK
Also keeping the interest in football otherwise nobody will want to pay to watch and then the money will dry up its not rocket science !

If I were a PL Chairman I would probably think that this is a 20 year old argument without foundation. PL attendance is at all-time high, record TV receipts, growing foreign interest and all at a time when the only world class player we have produced in the last ten years (Monkey Bale) isn't even playing in the UK.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Give the money to grass roots football
Good God no - it's not glamorous or sanitised enough
Certainly couldn't show it on the TV - it's FAR too much like real life and whilst every other programme on TV at the moment seems to be the cheapie option of ordinary people having their fifteen minutes of fame baking/sowing/sewing/watching TV/whatever our cossetted, cotton wool wrapped PL footballers need to be held up as a shining example.
The most worrying thing about all this is the report that even a bog standard benchwarmer in the PL will be on FIVE MILLION QUID a year

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why does the PL need a pyramid to support it?

I'm guessing (in an uninformed way) that most players in the PL, and possibly the Championship and L1, do not come through the pyramid but instead come from abroad or through the clubs' own youth/U21/development/academies.

I'm not pro the modern day PL set-up or anti 'grass roots' but I'm not convinced about the entitlement of the bottom end of the pyramid to the money generated by the commercial interest in the top end. Isn't it a bit like saying that Sainsbury's should fund the local allotment?

To a certain degree it doesn't. Didn't the owners of Blackburn think that there was no relegation and there was no football outside the premier league?

The pl does not require a pyramid as most of them now have first class training academies ( most of them developing Young foreign players according to greg dyke) and so will only pick and chose a very small number of talented players from what is to them a nuisance ...bale, oxlade chamberlain, Walcott, etc ...coincidentally Southampton trained.

A lot of premiership sides will be scouring the world leagues to spend their new found extra wealth and it wouldn't surprise me if we see a lot of world " names" coming to England with the promise of a million pound a week pay.

Every few years the premiership moves further away from the flat cap working class population and towards the higher end of the Middle class who are the only people who can afford the product, because that is what it is, a product, not a game. Liverpool fans were on the other night all of whose wanted a drop in ticket prices...not a chance! Money attracts money.

I'm guessing (in an uninformed way) that most players in the PL, and possibly the Championship and L1, do not come through the pyramid but instead come from abroad or through the clubs' own youth/U21/development/academies.

I'm not pro the modern day PL set-up or anti 'grass roots' but I'm not convinced about the entitlement of the bottom end of the pyramid to the money generated by the commercial interest in the top end. Isn't it a bit like saying that Sainsbury's should fund the local allotment?

And why shouldn't they help fund allotments if it helps the local community to stay active and help people with all sorts of issues to have a better life.Whats the point of making fantastic profits to the detriment of the community that you live and work in?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

No, it's more like saying Sainsbury's should pay Farmers a fair price for their produce. As a comparison, look at farming and the number of dairy farmers going out of business or leaving the industry, because of the clout of the supermarkets.

There's no such thing as 'Fairtrade' in football, and it's arguable that the Premier league do not give a stuff about this, after all, Scudamore said it wasn't a 'charity'. No, Peter, and nor is it a meritocracy either.

The club that wins the Premier league is the one that can write the biggest cheque - simple as.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Look at it this way, let's say you run a successful plumbing business and you've got a near monopoly on your town's work. Why would you want to then hand out money to a smaller, rival firm who could potentially grow and threaten you and your income? That's why premier league clubs don't give a stuff about handing out cash to FL teams. I can guarantee you as well that if Brighton ever made it to the top flight and were in a relegation scrap they'd be plenty moaning on here about dishing out "charity" which could have been spent on the resources needed to stay up.

They should however, be giving more to the youth teams around the country and be funding grass roots schemes.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
No, it's more like saying Sainsbury's should pay Farmers a fair price for their produce. As a comparison, look at farming and the number of dairy farmers going out of business or leaving the industry, because of the clout of the supermarkets.

But it isn't though is it - what does the PL underpay grass roots football for?

Any contribution the PL make towards the pyramid would be charitable and not commercial. I'm not saying that is right or ethical, but as [MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION] says the PL and grass roots have never been more distant.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If grassroot footballers could produce world class footballers for the PL its league would become more substainable and also help the England team to produce a World Cup winning side.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
If grassroot footballers could produce world class footballers for the PL its league would become more substainable and also help the England team to produce a World Cup winning side.

Never, ever going to happen though is it. Any decent kid is going to get swallowed up (and probably spat out at some point) by a pro team's academy/youth system and never get anywhere near amateur football until they have been deemed not good enough to make a living from the game.

Looking at the PL for the next 10 years I'd be surprised if there are more than two or three British players who have come through anything other than a pro club's youth system.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know of chap whose son was at Fulham before he started school so grass roots football wouldnt have helped him or his mates. The good ones get picked up at a very young age so the local council pitches do not affect them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here